Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #61
GoldNugg21
Good High School Starter

GoldNugg21 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Melo>Bron. The playoffs proved it.

Quote:
Both Lebron and Melo are main scorers yet they play different roles. Two guys both being the primary scorer doesnt mean they do the same thing. Bibby seems to think hes a main scorer now himself.

That's very true, but in any case main scorers are comparable. Can't really argue that.

Quote:
Secondary scorer? Rip didnt lead the 05 Pistons in scoring? I dont feel like checking but id assume he did. And bad team/good team? I meant to ask this with Bibby...which is which? Melos team is bad compared to Rips or is bad compared to the Spurs?

Either way....the fact that teammates have to be considered was a point of mine to begin with.

I was trying to say that Melo's team was worse than the Kings and the Pistons.

And I agree that teammates have to be considered. There's no question.

Quote:
Marion is not a role player and he averaged 28/15. His role and Melos arent the same as far as how they score but both were leading scorers. Two players dont need to be identical to be compared. marion flat out played better. A lot better.

But Marion is just a completely different player than Melo. Even when he was scoring 28 in that series, he did virtually none of it on his own. He gets putbacks, fastbreak points, open threes, layups and floaters off of good cuts, etc. He's a complimentary player that needs other creators on his team. Melo is a main scorer- even when Marion was dominating, he was not.

And at the time, Marion was widely considered better than Melo anyway. These 2 series supported that claim. This year? Slightly different story.

Quote:
Porter having better numbers than a guy considered top 15 or so all time means nothing. I think we both know that. My whole point is it never does mean anything. No matter if its two simplar players miles apart by talent/legacy or Lebron and Melo. For the margin to matter id have to first believe they could be ranked by this method. not believing that the margin of difference doesnt matter.

And I never claimed they should be ranked solely based on this. At all. I think that's moronic.

Quote:
So this isnt useing this as the end all be all?

Quote:
Melo puts up 26 on almost 50 percent shootiong, Bron puts up what 17 on 35 percent? This is in the playoffs, against the same team. Its pretty clear that Melo is the superior player.

I'll rephrase my statement. No one with an argument worth paying attention to is using that as the end all be all. I chose to ignore the OP's ignorance because I'd prefer to take a reasonable outlook on the topic he raised. You've just chosen to bash the OP's reasoning without looking at how it can be used realistically.

Quote:
Duncan, Kobe, Bron, Dirk, KG, Nash, Wade, Kidd, Yao, mcgrady, Boozer, Pierce, Arenas, and Amare im sure would have some people arguing them over Melo. Would I say all are better than Melo? No. But im not entirely sure a poll of all fans would have Melo for sure in the top 10. But im 100% sure it would have Lebron in the top 5.

Comes down to where you want to split levels up. Bron is with Kobe and Duncan as guys many might call best in the NBA. Melo is not. Personally...I dont think Lebron has any case to be #1 or #2. Im a defense and bigman fan. But...like I said...asking everyone? Not sure.

I'll put it like this. Switch Melo and Bron on the Nuggets and Cavs, and I can't see either teams record changing by more than 5 games. Max. Even that would suprise me greatly. To me, that says that they're pretty equal.

And if you say that you see a greater difference, than at least respond to the lengthy argument I already made in this thread as to why they're decently even.

Quote:
I see how its being used in the context of this topic. What am I supposed to judge? how hypothetical people who arent the ones talking would use it? I showed exactly what I was speaking on.

As for the Nuggets running....being a running offense first team doesnt mean its always gonna work. They are a 105ppg team. Not being able to do it vs the Spurs doesnt change that they are a running high scoring team. Them and the Warriors were going back and forth for second highest scoring team in the league.

You see only how ONE person is using it in the context of this topic. You've completely ignored how I used it.

And if you watched that series, you'd know that the Nuggets didn't even try to run. They played San Antonio ball, by design, and they played it well enough to hold fourth quarter leads in pretty much every game. That's not a "running team" by any measure.
GoldNugg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #62
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
No one with an argument worth paying attention to is using that as the end all be all. I chose to ignore the OP's ignorance because I'd prefer to take a reasonable outlook on the topic he raised.

That being the case I dont even disagree enough to argue.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #63
GoldNugg21
Good High School Starter

GoldNugg21 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
That being the case I dont even disagree enough to argue.
Fair enough.
GoldNugg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:06 AM   #64
TheHonestTruth
Banned

TheHonestTruth has no real reputation yet.

Simple math really.
Spurs vs Nuggets -> Nuggets stole 1 game
Spurs vs Cavs -> Cavs got swept.

Therefore Melo > Bron.
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:35 AM   #65
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Simple math really.

Therefore Melo > Bron.
I can only hope you are making a really bad joke.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:36 AM   #66
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

RecSpecs110 is considered somewhat coolRecSpecs110 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestTruth
Simple math really.

Therefore Melo > Bron.

If basketball was about simple math, the term "upset" wouldn't exist.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:42 AM   #67
bail
Serious playground baller

bail has an OK reputation so far

Melo is Zero. Get lost. Lebron>>>>>>>>>Melo & your ass
bail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:54 AM   #68
IversonMelo2K7
BIG KAHUNA

IversonMelo2K7 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Melo is Zero

Melo>>Arenas
IversonMelo2K7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:02 AM   #69
Sneakerpro
I hit open 5-footers

Sneakerpro has an OK reputation so far

If you swapped out Melo for Lebron the Nuggets would win the championship with ease.
Sneakerpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:04 AM   #70
Nashformvp
High School Varsity 6th Man

Nashformvp has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by IversonMelo2K7
Melo>>Arenas

no......melo didnt even make it out of the first round and he had someone to help him score..........wow u really proved ur point.
Nashformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:05 AM   #71
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerpro
If you swapped out Melo for Lebron the Nuggets would win the championship with ease.

: You were joking right?
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:24 AM   #72
Darsh
Good college starter

Darsh has decent reputationDarsh has decent reputation

wow, ive never seen GoldNugg21 go on a tear like that. Props.
Darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #73
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashformvp
no......melo didnt even make it out of the first round and he had someone to help him score..........wow u really proved ur point.
That's a bad example.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #74
Fatal_Flaw
I hit open 5-footers

Fatal_Flaw has an OK reputation so far

I think that spurs series shed a lot of light on the competition level of the two conferences and the Melo/Lebron comparison.

That Detroit game & series was impressive from Lebron, but it was really drowned out by the spurs series because those guys actually played defense.

What was crazy is that in Game 3 Lebron was essentially playing like Melo. In the post, 10-18 feet from the rim, catching with his back to the basket, etc. But that game is foreign to him, so he seemed to struggle. His fundamentals aren't there for that style of play, while Melo thrives on using purely fundamental footwork in the post to score the basketball.

And there's the difference between them.
Melo's the fundamental midpost, footwork player while Lebron's the flashy perimeter pick & roll, off-the-dribble penetrator. It just comes down to which style you value and which style you think contributes more to your team.

I still think that Lebron is better than Melo. But it's very very close.
Fatal_Flaw is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: