Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Arrow The Upcoming Films Thread

I figured instead of starting a new thread for every single future film, why not just put them all in one thread. Post trailers, news, speculation (careful with spoilers).

More news about P.T. Anderson's 'The Master'. Looks like the followup to his masterpiece 'There Will Be Blood' will focus on the beginnings of a Scientology like religion with Philip Seymour Hoffman playing a character based on L. Ron Hubbard's life with Jaquin Phoenix playing a drifter who becomes his right hand man.

Official Trailer

Teaser

There was an impromptu screening of the film and it's gotten rave reviews. Talk of best pic win and career-best performances from Phoenix and Hoffman, which is saying a lot. I like how they retained Jonny Greenwood to do the score after the work he did in TWBB. You can tell it will have the same tone (both sound and visually).

Reaction from the Screening:

michael whittle @michaelwhittle
    Possibly the best film watching experience I've ever had. #THEMASTER70MM

Michael Gallagher @TotallySketch
    Just saw "The Master". A movie has never made me feel quite like this one did. I can't describe it or even rate it. I am speechless.

Andrew P. Alderete @aaldere1
    The Master was amazing. Oscars all over this one.

Logan Doe @LoganDoe
    @prfessorbigsock Hoffman is one of the finest actors alive. The Master is (more) proof. #themaster

Jesse Crall @jessecrall
    The Master: B+ hazy, meandering story with beautiful staging and headed by Phoenix's brilliant, year's-best performance. @kristapley

Matthew Roth @Super_Matts
    THE MASTER is...interesting...I'll be thinking about it for days #THEMASTER70MM J Phoenix and P S Hoffman are out of this world

The only extended reaction came from Hollywood-Elsewhere and their source "bobfilm."

"I'm still digesting everything I saw, but it was pretty amazing. It was like a strange fever dream. [But] not audience friendly AT ALL. An ambiguous ending and not one likable character. And without any 'milkshake' lines, it probably won't have the breakthrough that There Will Be Blood had... There are three or four scenes between Phoenix and Hoffman that are barn burners. It also containts the best work Amy Adams has ever done... Phoenix WILL win Best Actor unless Daniel Day Lewis blows us away with [his] Lincoln performance. This is Raging Bull territory for him. Believe it or not, his performance is stranger than that fake doc he made. The only way I can describe him is 'animalistic.' (I think the Master title refers to more of a dog and his master. At least that was the vibe I got).. The style feels like Terrence Malick by way of There Will Be Blood."

Analysis of the Screenplay (No Spoilers) and the connection to Scientology

Default Re: The Upcoming Films Thread

i the only person who avoids reasing about upcoming movies? i find i enjoy them way more when i know next to nothing about them

having said that cloud atlas movie looks pretty cool

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
    Looks pretty awesome. I still somehow haven't seen There Will Be Blood.
    Get on it. One of the best acting performances ever by Day-Lewis IMO.

Also looking forward to these...

"The story of an Indian boy named Pi, a zookeeper's son who finds himself in the company of a hyena, zebra, orangutan, and a Bengal tiger after a shipwreck sets them adrift in the Pacific Ocean".

Life of Pi Trailer

"Jackie Cogan is a professional enforcer who investigates a heist that went down during a mob-protected poker game".
    Killing Them Softly Trailer

Pitt, Gandolfini, Rockwell, Liotta and the director of the Assassination of Jesse James. I'm in.
    Last edited by DonDadda59; 08-06-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    i the only person who avoids reasing about upcoming movies? i find i enjoy them way more when i know next to nothing about them

having said that cloud atlas movie looks pretty cool
    I don't know. Seems like something that could either be epic or a muddled mess. Looks like there's a lot going on in that one, hopefully it's not too over the top.

That trailer for The Master just got my panties wet.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

For the rest of 2012 I'm looking forward to Bourne Legacy, Looper, and The Great Gatsby.

Lincoln still has no trailer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    Lincoln still has no trailer.
    Yeah, wonder what the deal is with that. You'd think they'd at least release a teaser or something. All we have is a pic or two.

Book 'em Dan'l

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    I don't know. Seems like something that could either be epic or a muddled mess. Looks like there's a lot going on in that one, hopefully it's not too over the top.
    the film is over 2 1/2 hours long, so I don't think the Wachowskis missed anything from the book. However, I think it is going to be heavily criticized for being "too high browed".

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

82 minutes though?

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Get on it. One of the best acting performances ever by Day-Lewis IMO.

Also looking forward to these...

"The story of an Indian boy named Pi, a zookeeper's son who finds himself in the company of a hyena, zebra, orangutan, and a Bengal tiger after a shipwreck sets them adrift in the Pacific Ocean".

Life of Pi Trailer

"Jackie Cogan is a professional enforcer who investigates a heist that went down during a mob-protected poker game".
    Killing Them Softly Trailer

Pitt, Gandolfini, Rockwell, Liotta and the director of the Assassination of Jesse James. I'm in.
    I read Life of Pi and loved it. Heard there was gonna be a movie so I got excited. The trailer seems too theatrical for me though. :\ I'd rather have Life of Pi without all the special effects because truthfully, I doubt the story by itself needs all of the extras.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Looking forward to Lincoln, I think it's called Gangster Squad? (with Tom Hardy who is rising up my list of actors), and Wreck it Ralph.

Off the top that's what I remember putting in my to see list.

Da Mavs

Wow, The Master sounds great, will have to check out. Some others that interest me for the rest of the year are Django, Pi, Killing them Softly, Cloud Atlas, Gatsby, Looper, Hobbit. Looks like a good end of the year.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

I figured instead of starting a new thread for every single future film, why not just put them all in one thread. Post trailers, news, speculation (careful with spoilers).

More news about P.T. Anderson's 'The Master'. Looks like the followup to his masterpiece 'There Will Be Blood' will focus on the beginnings of a Scientology like religion with Philip Seymour Hoffman playing a character based on L. Ron Hubbard's life with Jaquin Phoenix playing a drifter who becomes his right hand man.

Official Trailer

Teaser

There was an impromptu screening of the film and it's gotten rave reviews. Talk of best pic win and career-best performances from Phoenix and Hoffman, which is saying a lot. I like how they retained Jonny Greenwood to do the score after the work he did in TWBB. You can tell it will have the same tone (both sound and visually).

Reaction from the Screening:

michael whittle @michaelwhittle
    Possibly the best film watching experience I've ever had. #THEMASTER70MM

Michael Gallagher @TotallySketch
    Just saw "The Master". A movie has never made me feel quite like this one did. I can't describe it or even rate it. I am speechless.

Andrew P. Alderete @aaldere1
    The Master was amazing. Oscars all over this one.

Logan Doe @LoganDoe
    @prfessorbigsock Hoffman is one of the finest actors alive. The Master is (more) proof. #themaster

Jesse Crall @jessecrall
    The Master: B+ hazy, meandering story with beautiful staging and headed by Phoenix's brilliant, year's-best performance. @kristapley

Matthew Roth @Super_Matts
    THE MASTER is...interesting...I'll be thinking about it for days #THEMASTER70MM J Phoenix and P S Hoffman are out of this world

The only extended reaction came from Hollywood-Elsewhere and their source "bobfilm."

"I'm still digesting everything I saw, but it was pretty amazing. It was like a strange fever dream. [But] not audience friendly AT ALL. An ambiguous ending and not one likable character. And without any 'milkshake' lines, it probably won't have the breakthrough that There Will Be Blood had... There are three or four scenes between Phoenix and Hoffman that are barn burners. It also containts the best work Amy Adams has ever done... Phoenix WILL win Best Actor unless Daniel Day Lewis blows us away with [his] Lincoln performance. This is Raging Bull territory for him. Believe it or not, his performance is stranger than that fake doc he made. The only way I can describe him is 'animalistic.' (I think the Master title refers to more of a dog and his master. At least that was the vibe I got).. The style feels like Terrence Malick by way of There Will Be Blood."

Analysis of the Screenplay (No Spoilers) and the connection to Scientology
    Can't wait.

I love PTA's art and I am absolutely fascinated by Scientology. On top of that, this cast looks amazing (as always for PTA).

Too early to say this is a shoe-in for Best Picture? Only if the Coen Brothers have something planned. They are the only American filmmakers who can match PTA when he is on his game.

Banned

FIRST LOOK: Daniel Day-Lewis embodies 'Lincoln' in Steven Spielberg's historical drama

Penny for your thoughts?

Long-range paparazzi (and the occasional sneaky fellow diner) grabbed snapshots of Daniel Day-Lewis as he was shooting Steven Spielberg