Default With the 8th pick, Pistons Select Stanley Johnson

Everyone had the Pistons taking this guy in their mock drafts.

How's the pistons nation feeling about the pick?

Default Re: With the 8th pick, Pistons Select Stanley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit
    Everyone had the Pistons taking this guy in their mock drafts.

How's the pistons nation feeling about the pick?
    I feel like you've been missing especially since your name is Detroit. Join us.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

I feel like he is going to be a great fit for Detroit both from a positional and mentality perspective. He plays with some anger / ferociousness / edge, blue collar type of guy I get the feel...

The only criticism, atleast from a media and outsider perspective, is that we picked a guy that was ment to go #8 - #11 in front of a guy who was ment to go #4 - #7, and they are both labeled as SF (even though we all think Winslow might transition into a 2-guard)

So I guess that if Winslow becomes a star, and Stanley just a role player, there will be some pie on our face. But if it is the other way around, SVG will truly look like a genius.

I'm at peace with this pick, I think he has one of the highest floors in the draft. I put faith in SVG and his staff knowing 100x more than I know, so I am sure this is the correct choice

The funny thing is, this is the first time I can remember the Pistons taking the guy that all the mock drafts had them taking, and then everybody still criticizes the pick.

I don't follow college ball, so I'm not going to claim to know much about either player, but excited to see what Johnson can do on the court either way.

Decent college freshman

I believe championship teams are built with guys who have Johnson's mentality, so I like that about him.

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    The funny thing is, this is the first time I can remember the Pistons taking the guy that all the mock drafts had them taking, and then everybody still criticizes the pick.
    The only reason I think it was heavily criticized (not by the Pistons fan base, but more so by the media) is because we took a projected 8-11 draft range SF when a 4-7 draft range SF was available at 8. I would probably assume that 95% of the world thought we would jump all over Winslow at #8, but in place we took the lower projection in Johnson.

If they played different positions, then it wouldn't be criticized as much, but due to them both being projected at SF - we have overlooked the "best player available" who also happened to be our biggest need - (We all think Winslow will translate to a SG soon enough)

But I think it is safe to say Pistons fans are not unhappy with Stanley over Winslow, in fact are quite happy about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    I believe championship teams are built with guys who have Johnson's mentality, so I like that about him.
    Co-sign

He doesn't appear to have an ego, but he appears to have that "edge" you just can't teach.

A little like Draymond Green really - Same body size / type, same dedication to defense, similar mentality (perhaps?), doesn't need to put up many points to be effective, glue guy etc...

He appears to have pretty good handles, which could translate into him becoming an above average distributor too, like Green.