Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 12-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Default Why do we suck?

Gay's not putting up points in the board for a string of games now. Can this be a sign of Gay / Mayo being Iverson / Stackhouse part 2?

Hopefully not.. but Gay is still shooting awful percentages... I just don't understand why a 6'9 SF at 22 would have trouble scoring. Good thing is that he's averaging 5 FTs a game.

I hope we do get our hands on some scorers, who are readily available anywhere.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Default Re: Why do we suck?

There are several reasons, just to name a few:
- lack of pure outside shooters
- lack of team spirit, Gay is generally a black hole, Mayo has his nights, Conley is usually off and the whole team together has almost less assists per night than Chris Paul by himself.
- lack of offensive schemes, which sums up with the next bullet
- lack of contribution inside the paint
- lack of experience in most of our players
- lack of a true coach

Last edited by berraco : 12-04-2008 at 12:51 PM.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

I don't think that Gay is in competition to score with Mayo. That is what kids at the park do, not professional athletes. The problem is with the coaching not the players. The only possibly problem I can say about the players is consistency. When one player is doing well, none of the others are and it's f*cking annoying as hell. These guys can beat almost anyone, but right now they don't even look like they could beat a high school team.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

main reason i see with gay is we need another shooter, conley gasol and arthur are not a threat from the outside, and also he is taking some bad shots...hes starting to improve alittle bit but yeah.

if we had another shooter or if conley all the sudden started shooting well gay and mayo would be alot better and the team would be better
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
jailer
MillionDollarException

Its just that we are an overal young team. From our coaching staff to our management to our players. It takes time to learn how to play together. It wouldnt hurt to have some more outside shooting.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Have any of you guys lost their faith in Conley? We haven't won anything since he started playing reasonably better. Conley / Lowry might just not cut it.

Rubio anyone? So far nobody in the spanish national team has ever fallen flat in the league.

Damn euro getting stronger than the dollar, it had to come during free agency.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
GoldMedallist
I rule the local playground

I believe young player with inexperienced coaching is a terrible combination.

I really think Gay is overrated. Mayo is the guy, and I think it's time to trade Gay to get some decent inside player:

For example:

Trade conley+Arthur or warrick for Sergio + outlaw. Sergio isn't better than Conley, but is a decent PG and can feed the inside people. Travis is an outside threat, and with Mayo, you have two legit scorers.

And then, use Gay and Darko to get a legit player, a great SF or PF who can help Gasol and Warrik to be a threat from inside. If Gasol had a little help there, I am sure he will take 15-16 ppg and 8-9 rpg.

Oh, and fire Iavarioni and hire... a real coach.
GoldMedallist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
tbp82
Saw a basketball once

I have had this conversation with people over at the draft forum about what the Grizzlies need for me it is simple you need a big man. Not a role-playing one a 20-10 or at least a potential 20-10 big man. I agree you also need outside shooting a pure shooter so to speak. The one area I don't think you need help is point guard. I believe with Conley, Lowry, Critteton you could get by if you had a 20-10 big man and a pure shooter and Mayo can play point to. As far as the draft goes I believe that PG should be the least of your worries and finding a big man should be top of the list.
tbp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
Kobe8
Banned

Cool Re: Why do we suck?

@TS When i Saw the Title "Why Do We Suck" i Found it interesting..

Hmm,,,I dont know u have marc he's good..

Rudy Gay isnt that much of a scorer, he's struggling, i guess.

Memph just need like a Star on the team. Like a star that has been playing in the League so long. Maybe damon Stoudamire,or like Penny Hardaway, or any players that suit in this team.. This new players has no give... (no Offense)

You gotta have give.. what i mean about give is.... memph pay's them and players cant give something back... IMO

so Rudy Gay in the Grizzy is a leftover i guess..
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

no...rudy gay is real nice, the reason he isnt play well thsi year is last year he had mike miller, we have no shooters to speak of mayo is nice but teams already know about him mike miller was just a spot up shooter we need a better shooting PG>
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #11
ZeN
Stormblessed

Well you did not suck today.. that was a nice houston win...
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: