Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #16
dunksby
NBA Legend
 
dunksby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 15,911
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

Same story as every year, we got people getting excited or disappointed during the first two thirds of regular season and once shit gets tight they realise nothing really matters but how you end the year.

As long as a contender finishes in top 3 or even 4 and peaks at the right time, the rest is as irrelevant as it gets.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #17
hold this L
d-y-n-a-s-t-y
 
hold this L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 6,711
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
This is the most interesting start to a year in a few seasons. There's no more 'Cleveland and Golden State pencilled in' for the finals like the last 4-5 years. The regular season is actually worth watching at the moment because there's a bit of blood in the water around Golden State and there's a few sharks circling.
I'm not too worried about this yet. Before Steph went down, there was none of this talk. As long as he and Dray come back safe and stay healthy, the team should be ok. I am a bit worried about Klay's shooting and whether Cousins buys in or tries to be a stat padding idiot that messes up the offense. I sense the false sense of hope will dwindle this Saturday since I think Curry's back then.

Rockets in particular are a team that can down the Warriors especially if they disrupt the system (Curry). But they're too far away to think about, that's end of May once the WCF start.
hold this L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #18
keep-itreal
Lebron
 
keep-itreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,102
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

they beat the Raptors and Bucks alll while being totally dysfunctional. They're going to figure it out and destroy everyone in the playoffs. And if it really doesn't work, they can get Beal and its over
keep-itreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #19
hold this L
d-y-n-a-s-t-y
 
hold this L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 6,711
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep-itreal
they beat the Raptors and Bucks alll while being totally dysfunctional. They're going to figure it out and destroy everyone in the playoffs. And if it really doesn't work, they can get Beal and its over
The team needs a playmaker rather than a shooter. The problem is they have too many shoot first players in the starting 5 right now.
hold this L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #20
Wally450
#1 Pick - 1 Point
 
Wally450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 6,488
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

That 9-8 team beat the Raptors. What does that say about them then?
Wally450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #21
Phoenix
Behold the Trollslayer
 
Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 990
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hold this L
I'm not too worried about this yet. Before Steph went down, there was none of this talk. As long as he and Dray come back safe and stay healthy, the team should be ok. I am a bit worried about Klay's shooting and whether Cousins buys in or tries to be a stat padding idiot that messes up the offense. I sense the false sense of hope will dwindle this Saturday since I think Curry's back then.

Rockets in particular are a team that can down the Warriors especially if they disrupt the system (Curry). But they're too far away to think about, that's end of May once the WCF start.

Yeah it's still early, I just find that particular storyline interesting( you may not feel that way as a fan I'd imagine). But it's not just about the Warriors; the east is the most interesting and wide open its been in like 5 years. Boston was being penciled in before the year started, but with Toronto not skipping a beat( and better with Kawhi),Butler showing up in Philly, then the Bucks making that step forward, and its more dynamic than its been in ages. The biggest storylines out west are whether Golden State hold it together and if the Lakers experiment comes together by seasons end.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #22
JohnnySic
green is good
 
JohnnySic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 11,127
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

Growing pains. If they're still playing like ass in the playoffs, then changes should be considered.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #23
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas
 
NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Am I here to amuse you?
Posts: 4,972
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
This is the most interesting start to a year in a few seasons. There's no more 'Cleveland and Golden State pencilled in' for the finals like the last 4-5 years. The regular season is actually worth watching at the moment because there's a bit of blood in the water around Golden State and there's a few sharks circling.

Yes, IMO - NFL/NBA are the most exciting they've been in years this year. Good year for sports honestly.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #24
red1
GOAT franchise
 
red1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: raptors
Posts: 17,045
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

most excellent


red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #25
MJistheGOAT
Kwisatz Haderach
 
MJistheGOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,156
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
Yes, IMO - NFL/NBA are the most exciting they've been in years this year. Good year for sports honestly.

Rams - Saints and Patriots - Chiefs conference finals

Rams - Chiefs superbowl

MJistheGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #26
LostCause
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,080
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

They'll be fine

They absolutely do need to gel though, and Hayward is coming off a career-altering injury and hasn't looked good at all. Tatum is looking to become a star, and leads the team in Iso's by a LARGE margin
https://stats.nba.com/players/isolat...ort=Time&dir=1

Which isn't conducive to winning given the immense talent on the team. Their defense has also slipped considerably. Horford doesn't look as good as he did last season and he was their anchor

They should be fine though. Folks just have to gel and trust each other more instead of all this iso-ball they're doing

It's also worth keeping in mind Stevens is experimenting pretty heavily with lineups. They could win more games if he focused on keeping one of them, but he's seeing what players have to offer to prepare them for the postseason. Here's a thread on their diff lineup effectiveness:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bostoncelti...s_net_ratings/

The Irving/Morris/Smart/Horford/Tatum lineup would have the best ORTG and DRTG in the league

Last edited by LostCause : 11-20-2018 at 04:11 PM.
LostCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:08 PM   #27
Duncan21formvp
Great college starter
 
Duncan21formvp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,568
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0kakw0rld
"Bu...bu...but they need time to gel"

Time to trade Jaylen Brown Rozier Tatum for Beal and otto porter
Bulls in 1998 started off 8-7 as well. In 1991 they were 6-6 as well.
Spurs in 2003 started off 12-9
Spurs in 1999 started off 9-8 as well.
Duncan21formvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:52 PM   #28
Wally450
#1 Pick - 1 Point
 
Wally450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 6,488
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJistheGOAT
Rams - Saints and Patriots - Chiefs conference finals

Rams - Chiefs superbowl


The Rams are not beating the Saints in the Superdome.
Wally450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:03 PM   #29
Smoke117
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Smoke117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 21,838
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause
They'll be fine

They absolutely do need to gel though, and Hayward is coming off a career-altering injury and hasn't looked good at all. Tatum is looking to become a star, and leads the team in Iso's by a LARGE margin
https://stats.nba.com/players/isolat...ort=Time&dir=1

Which isn't conducive to winning given the immense talent on the team. Their defense has also slipped considerably. Horford doesn't look as good as he did last season and he was their anchor

They should be fine though. Folks just have to gel and trust each other more instead of all this iso-ball they're doing

It's also worth keeping in mind Stevens is experimenting pretty heavily with lineups. They could win more games if he focused on keeping one of them, but he's seeing what players have to offer to prepare them for the postseason. Here's a thread on their diff lineup effectiveness:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bostoncelti...s_net_ratings/

The Irving/Morris/Smart/Horford/Tatum lineup would have the best ORTG and DRTG in the league

Uh...you realize they have a better defensive rating this year than last year and that they are 1 just like they were last season, right? Their defense hasn't slipped one bit.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:35 AM   #30
k0kakw0rld
The Special One
 
k0kakw0rld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: GOATHAM CITY
Posts: 8,885
Default Re: The team to beat in the East is 9-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally450
That 9-8 team beat the Raptors. What does that say about them then?
You mean barely winning in OT at home. O k We gave them the game if anything.
k0kakw0rld is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:23 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy