Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
dunksby
NBA Legend

Default Doctor Claiming Women Should Pay More For Health Insurance Branded As Sexist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSQSuDpNQ9c

I agree with him, if they use the system more they gotta pay for that extra themselves.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
MadeFromDust
exercise profits littl

Default Re: Doctor Claiming Women Should Pay More For Health Insurance Branded As Sexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSQSuDpNQ9c

I agree with him, if they use the system more they gotta pay for that extra themselves.
It's very practical. They need more and more expensive care than men. Of course they should pay more for that.
MadeFromDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
DonD13
skuduskur

Default Re: Doctor Claiming Women Should Pay More For Health Insurance Branded As Sexist

if you sperate genders you also have to separate smokers, fat people, people with certain genetic predisposition, people with poor parents and so on.

then you can let everybody pay for them self and skip this insurance thing.
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Don't men have to pay more for car insurance and health insurance already?
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
TheReturn
Rnbizzle 2.0

I'm not going to get into whether they should or shouldn't pay more health care, but it's definitely not sexist.
TheReturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
DonD13
skuduskur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReturn
I'm not going to get into whether they should or shouldn't pay more health care, but it's definitely not sexist.

he wants threat people different because of the gender - that is sexist.

just as it would be racist to exclude black people even though it's a fact that it's the most unhealthy racial group in America.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #7
TheReturn
Rnbizzle 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
he wants threat people different because of the gender - that is sexist.

just as it would be racist to exclude black people even though it's a fact that it's the most unhealthy racial group in America.
No. It would be sexist if he wanted to treat people different solely because of gender. He has a solid justification of why he thinks they should be treated differently, based on numbers and statistics.

Example:

-Women are terrible drivers - Clearly sexist.
-Women could on average be worse drivers then men because they are involved in more accidents etc. (say that's true for a second, I don't know if it is). - Not sexist, just stating facts.
TheReturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Quote:
if you sperate genders you also have to separate smokers, fat people, people with certain genetic predisposition, people with poor parents and so on.

+1
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

Quote:

There's a thin line between what's an acceptable rating variable in insurance and what's ethically inappropriate (despite perhaps being economically justified).

For example, age is used when rating someone for auto insurance, yet that's one factor that is out of an insured's control. Race or gender? Not allowed. Annual income? Not allowed. Credit score, which typically is highly correlated with income? Allowed in most states.

So why's age allowed but not gender? Simply because society/state governments have said so. I don't believe the doctor is being sexist but he's in the minority here and will stay there until more people believe gender rating is okay.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
DonD13
skuduskur

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
There's a thin line between what's an acceptable rating variable in insurance and what's ethically inappropriate (despite perhaps being economically justified).

For example, age is used when rating someone for auto insurance, yet that's one factor that is out of an insured's control. Race or gender? Not allowed. Annual income? Not allowed. Credit score, which typically is highly correlated with income? Allowed in most states.

So why's age allowed but not gender? Simply because society/state governments have said so. I don't believe the doctor is being sexist but he's in the minority here and will stay there until more people believe gender rating is okay.

exactly!

it's very hard to draw that line. and i don't think regarding gender is inappropriate.

but me, i think i would not allow age as a factor either because you'll run into serious problem in explaining why this factor is allowed and another not. insurance is a solidarity thing. or you will sooner or later have to pass prenatal genetic tests to get insured.

but then again, when somebody lives a risky life, you obviously want him to pay more...
Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
niko
I Run NY.

You can't have a situation where women are punished getting insurance because they are women.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Goldrush25
Local High School Star

They should pay more. Every female I know stays at the doctor. Not sexist, just observation.

Reasoning is backed by science. They have different anatomy and physiology. They have more needs. They should pay more. Has nothing to do with them being women. It has to do with them being female. There's a distinction.

Last edited by Goldrush25 : 09-02-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Goldrush25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
LJJ
Extra Cheese

His arguments are just terrible.

Essentially they are:
Women live longer. (Thus, they already pay more for healthcare than men. )

Women are more likely to take checkups. (Which could very well work as prevention and reduce treatment costs overall. )

Women give birth. (Last I checked it takes a man and a woman to make a baby. )
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
chosen_one6
Earned not given

This doctor is an idiot.

Women make less than men in the workforce.
chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
nightprowler10
Hold the door

Women also have more issues to deal with in general because THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR GIVING BIRTH TO OUR CHILDREN!

FMD.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: