Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
bagelred
Stare

Default After a full month, CBS and Time Warner end their dispute....

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/cbs-t...tent-agreement

I can honestly say, I wasn't affected in any way, except for MAYBE some U.S.Open coverage on Saturday...but even then I watched some tennis on U.S. Open's website.

But anywho....for you big time football fans...crisis averted.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
niko
I Run NY.

Default Re: After a full month, CBS and Time Warner end their dispute....

I got FIOS. Installed, cheaper (for my triple play with everything i had $80 a month cheaper), faster net, box is inside so no **** up when it rains, more channels (HBO, SHO) and have had CBS for a few weeks.

**** TWC. They asked if it mattered CBS was missing, and i said a little, but not much. The price was the main thing. The thing that pissed me off most about the CBS thing was they offered apoligies, but not money, and no decent channels back (starz?)
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Good news for boxing. But it would have happened eventually with the NFL season around the corner.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

dude, you dont know how to get OTA HD channels??? just plug a cheap antenna into your TV and let it search for digital channels. you should be able to get CBS just fine. 2, 4, 5, 9 are fine. 7 and 11 are the trouble channels. i dont watch anything on 11 anyway, but 7 is for the nba finals so i have to adjust the antenna a little (have it on a moving door). if you have netflix and know how to do download/plex, there really is no need for paying $60-70 on your TV package.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
dude, you dont know how to get OTA HD channels??? just plug a cheap antenna into your TV and let it search for digital channels. you should be able to get CBS just fine. 2, 4, 5, 9 are fine. 7 and 11 are the trouble channels. i dont watch anything on 11 anyway, but 7 is for the nba finals so i have to adjust the antenna a little (have it on a moving door). if you have netflix and know how to do download/plex, there really is no need for paying $60-70 on your TV package.
i pay $60 -$70 to not have to do all the things you just said you do. If i had time i like your method but when i'm working and i come home the last thing i want to do is download or fight with antennas.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
bagelred
Stare

Quote:

Interesting post.

- Ironically, TODAY, of all days, I went to BestBuy to get the free antenna TWC was offering to customers. And the way I found out the CBS/TWC conflict was over was from the TWC guy...of all people. But he let me get the free antenna anyway.....

- Like I said, I haven't missed CBS at ALL...not at all. If end of Sept rolled around....there's like one or two prime time shows I would need....but that's it. And maybe an NFL game or two, but not huge football fan anyway.

- OK, but let's discuss "cutting the cord" for a sec....
1)You got your basic broadcasters over the air with the antenna...let's assume that works well.
2)You buy a Roku, I presume....to connect to internet
3) Subscribe to Netflix...gives you bunch of TV shows and movies for $8 month
4) Subscribe to Hulu Plus for all your primetime shows, alot of cable shows, etc....another $8 a month?? So far so good.....

OK, then what? Certain channels, particularly sports channels, like ESPN, MSG, NBATV....how am I going to see those? And what do you mean "download/plex" what does that mean?

You're a Knicks fan. How do watch Knicks games, for example?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

yeah man, live sports is the only thing that kills me. i stream it online

when i had cable tv, that was the only thing i watched anyway.

google chromecast is out now, and you can send anything playing in your chrome tab to your tv.

WONT BE HD, but thats the best scenario for me right now. unless i go to a friend's or a bar (i dont drink)
Old 09-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
oh the horror
NBA Legend

The funny shit about TWC is even with that channel missing they recently raised their monthly cost. Talk about lame.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
bagelred
Stare

Quote:
yeah man, live sports is the only thing that kills me. i stream it online

when i had cable tv, that was the only thing i watched anyway.

google chromecast is out now, and you can send anything playing in your chrome tab to your tv.

WONT BE HD, but thats the best scenario for me right now. unless i go to a friend's or a bar (i dont drink)

I mean, that's the answer right there. I watch enough basketball in a month during a season to justify paying for cable. That's many many hours of entertaintment. Just Knicks games alone is worth that money per month.....

But yeah, if it wasn't for live sports, I could easily see myself dumping cable and doing a Roku setup....but unfortanetly, NBA and sports in general has me by the balls.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror
The funny shit about TWC is even with that channel missing they recently raised their monthly cost. Talk about lame.
I had showtime which i pay for. I watch Dexter. So the CBS thing came and they gave everyone (including me) Starz free. But still charged me for Showtime. They told me the switched it to Starz. Two problems i told them
1) Nobody watches Starz, it's garbage, i don't want it.
2) EVERYONE ELSE GOT IT FREE.

As i said, **** TWC. FIOS is cheaper and better and it's literally the same channels and things you get with TWC. I don't see why anyone would not swtich.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
i pay $60 -$70 to not have to do all the things you just said you do. If i had time i like your method but when i'm working and i come home the last thing i want to do is download or fight with antennas.
you're right. how many shows do you watch though? I watch 10-15 different ones throughout the year, and i spread it out where I do not have to watch them every night after work.

it's come to the point where i dont watch ANYTHING live, except sports. NFL is great since 2 and 5 work fine in the area.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
bagelred
Stare

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
I had showtime which i pay for. I watch Dexter. So the CBS thing came and they gave everyone (including me) Starz free. But still charged me for Showtime. They told me the switched it to Starz. Two problems i told them
1) Nobody watches Starz, it's garbage, i don't want it.
2) EVERYONE ELSE GOT IT FREE.

As i said, **** TWC. FIOS is cheaper and better and it's literally the same channels and things you get with TWC. I don't see why anyone would not swtich.

I can't get FIOS. Basically, it's TWC or nothing. Supposedly I could get DirectTV but I can't see how that would work....

But aren't you on an introductory price on FIOS? I assume after a year, price goes way up?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
I mean, that's the answer right there. I watch enough basketball in a month during a season to justify paying for cable. That's many many hours of entertaintment. Just Knicks games alone is worth that money per month.....

But yeah, if it wasn't for live sports, I could easily see myself dumping cable and doing a Roku setup....but unfortanetly, NBA and sports in general has me by the balls.
there's ways of buying the NBA package and streaming it on roku in HD, but even those are missing the TNT and ESPN games. i remember once the playoffs on ABC started, it felt like i was at the games after watching all the games streaming
Old 09-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
I can't get FIOS. Basically, it's TWC or nothing. Supposedly I could get DirectTV but I can't see how that would work....

But aren't you on an introductory price on FIOS? I assume after a year, price goes way up?
Goes up $15. Will still be way under my TWC bill, if they raise if $15 a year i'd catch up in 5 years. I get all three though. The internet is the best, it's as fast as Roadrunner + service, and it's a seperate pipe than the Cable so it's fast all the time.

Last edited by niko : 09-02-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #15
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
you're right. how many shows do you watch though? I watch 10-15 different ones throughout the year, and i spread it out where I do not have to watch them every night after work.

it's come to the point where i dont watch ANYTHING live, except sports. NFL is great since 2 and 5 work fine in the area.
I'm like Bagel, the live sports i need, plus when i come home to watch Breaking Bad, i open the DVR and watch it. Takes 13 seconds. It's worth it to me. I totally see what you are doing, but for me it would basically take my TV time to set up my TV time, and i don't want to do that.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: