Default Any campers on here?

I've always loved camping. When deployed, when you didn't have to sleep in your truck for safety reasons, I would always sleep outside. String up one of those hammocks between two trucks and sleep away.

Anyone go on camping trips by themselves? Curious to see if anyone takes weekend trips out into the bush on their own.

At some point, I'd like to get a dog to take with me, but until then, it'll be just me.

Any tips? Essential stuff to pack? Any websites you use to find good spots? I don't mean at a park in the city, I'd like to be able to go somewhere where I may not see anyone for a day or two, that sort of camping.

Anyone with any experience?

Banned

Default Re: Any campers on here?

I camped solo in the Mongolian Hinterlands for 9 months straight surviving off the local flora and fauna. I created a stone sharpened spear with a rock head and a branch. A steady diet of fish, berries and native lentils kept me healthy and going. The hardest part was definitely the cold weather... A humbling experience, but a very rare one at that. To live at the purest of form.

NBA Superstar

I'm not a real camper - we use a giant tent, prefer a little bit of electricity if we're traveling elsewhere, and like a real bathroom nearby if possible - but after a life of zero camping experience, I've been slowly working my way up over the past few years.

That said, if you're still in Indianapolis per your location, have you ever jaunted down and over to the Smokies? I imagine there's some pretty glorious backcountry camping locations out yonder. We did some hiking there last year but we stayed in a cabin, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I'm not a real camper - we use a giant tent, prefer a little bit of electricity if we're traveling elsewhere, and like a real bathroom nearby if possible - but after a life of zero camping experience, I've been slowly working my way up over the past few years.

That said, if you're still in Indianapolis per your location, have you ever jaunted down and over to the Smokies? I imagine there's some pretty glorious backcountry camping locations out yonder. We did some hiking there last year but we stayed in a cabin, ha.
    I grew up in Eastern Kentucky, so I've been all up and down Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia, the Carolinas.

I'd like to find a place close by to start, preferably. Hoosier National Forest is nearby, but I don't know if that's quite what I am looking for. Lake Monroe is a bit south of here, that'd be cool to find a spot there.

I'm looking more for the 'turn my phone off for 36 hours and just go' type camping, though.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    I grew up in Eastern Kentucky, so I've been all up and down Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia, the Carolinas.

I'd like to find a place close by to start, preferably. Hoosier National Forest is nearby, but I don't know if that's quite what I am looking for. Lake Monroe is a bit south of here, that'd be cool to find a spot there.

I'm looking more for the 'turn my phone off for 36 hours and just go' type camping, though.
    I am unfamiliar with Hoosier National Forest but from a quick look, it appears to be rather beautiful. I know very, very little about that part of Indiana as I believe my only experience is driving through Indianapolis on the way down to the Appalachians.

Is Hoosier not vast enough to get lost in? My friend is a little more of an advanced camper than me and he tends to just pick random locales in mid-Michigan where he can camp on weekends without coming across anybody, particularly at this time of year.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    I camped solo in the Mongolian Hinterlands for 9 months straight surviving off the local flora and fauna. I created a stone sharpened spear with a rock head and a branch. A steady diet of fish, berries and native lentils kept me healthy and going. The hardest part was definitely the cold weather... A humbling experience, but a very rare one at that. To live at the purest of form.

I'd Like to do something like thathat as well.

But, I have bills and shit.

But I would like to go at least once a month for a weekend.

Banned

did that yesterday

Banned

I went portaging when I was younger, it was fantastic. Carry all your food/gear with you, canoe from island to island and set up camp in new spots regularly.

I camp usually every couple of weekends in Colorado. I'll be back-country camping in Rocky Mountain National Park this weekend, somewhere between 5-12 inches of fresh stuff forecast where I'll be (10,600 feet) and a high temperature of 10 degrees during the day. Going to be damn cold overnight! Going to do some ice climbing with buddies during the day, then snow cave building and then string up a tree with christmas lights for some photos.

I'd say the most important thing is being prepared for the conditions that you will face, and not carrying too much stuff. Overpacking is just miserable. You don't need most of the things that you think that you do. Survival skills are also important.

Check out the Backpackinglight forum, plenty of great information on backpacking techniques and only packing what you really need. I've always found that my favorite hiking resource.

For an idea of what I carry, here is my gear list for 3 season use:

http://lighterpack.com/r/g2kpdj

Winter is different gear. I won't bother linking that because you should probably stick to camping in good weather (or right next to a parking lot) first to get the hang of things.

Never put yourself into a situation that you are not sure if you can handle.
    Last edited by BlazerRed; 12-11-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Also, one of the main things to remember is that you will make mistakes (forget things, carry useless things) when you start. Every trip you will learn something and eventually you'll have it all dialed in. That's why it's vital to stick to situations you can get out of easily (not far from your car, not off trail) to start with so in case you do get in a precarious situation you can get out of it without consequences.

yeah man. Ive been camping since goldeneye n64. This call of duty generation dont know shit

Banned

I camp hardcore with friends but never solo.

We usually go where there isn't a single soul for hundreds of miles.

We have recently hired mules to help us with our packs. They are going to be annually used from now on.

Little brings me more joy and relaxation than primitive camping / backpacking