Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #31
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

Default Re: The 08 draft is a GMs nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextgreatbigman
it's funny how i forgot to mention jordan, i was just watching the Texas AM game.
you could also throw in bill walker, even though beasley is killing his hype.

When you watch A&M its easy to forget that a top 5 draft pick is on the court. They don't get him the ball enough, and he's too thin to have the Dwight Howard type impact that nbadraft.net and ESPN draft sites compare him to. I guess he has the athleticism but unless he gains some muscle he won't be a great NBA player.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #32
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
When you watch A&M its easy to forget that a top 5 draft pick is on the court. They don't get him the ball enough, and he's too thin to have the Dwight Howard type impact that nbadraft.net and ESPN draft sites compare him to. I guess he has the athleticism but unless he gains some muscle he won't be a great NBA player.
And you guys call me a hardass.

In all fairness, Dwight wasn't brolic when he got drafted either.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #33
AlThornton
I rule the local playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
What are you watching that says PG?

Ability to control the game with his tempo. Watch a couple of his games, sometimes it looks as though he is coasting, then in a split second can play an up tempo game like that. He is a good passer, from the few games I have seen of him he sees the floor really well. He might not make the correct decision all the time, but he has the ability. You know he has ability to improve.

Not to mention his ability around the basket is sick.
AlThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #34
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlThornton
Ability to control the game with his tempo. Watch a couple of his games, sometimes it looks as though he is coasting, then in a split second can play an up tempo game like that.
That right there is the problem. Memphis' system is designed with the intention of being uptempo ALL THE TIME.

Quote:
He is a good passer, from the few games I have seen of him he sees the floor really well. He might not make the correct decision all the time, but he has the ability. You know he has ability to improve.
His passing is good for a PG but average at best for a PG. He has the ability but he makes the wrong passes for often than not plus the passes aren't especially accurate.

Quote:
Not to mention his ability around the basket is sick.
The problem NO ONE gets to the rim in the NBA as often as they do college so you need a mid-range game. Derrick does not have that in his skillset.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #35
AlThornton
I rule the local playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
That right there is the problem. Memphis' system is designed with the intention of being uptempo ALL THE TIME.

If he goes to an up-tempo team he could see instant success.

His passing is good for a PG but average at best for a PG. He has the ability but he makes the wrong passes for often than not plus the passes aren't especially accurate.

I guess you have seen him more that I so ill agree, but i did hear the Princeton coach say earlier in the year that his chest pass was perfection. Ill see if i can find that quote.

The problem NO ONE gets to the rim in the NBA as often as they do college so you need a mid-range game. Derrick does not have that in his skillset.

true he might struggle a little with his shot, but most rookies do. Actually pretty much all rookies struggle with their shot coming in.

JMHO
AlThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #36
Da KO King

Quote:
If he goes to an up-tempo team he could see instant success.
Can't argue with this. With his athleticism if each game turns into a track meet his skilset weaknesses become less important.

Quote:
I guess you have seen him more that I so ill agree, but i did hear the Princeton coach say earlier in the year that his chest pass was perfection. Ill see if i can find that quote.
His technique is good and he puts good zip on the ball. The problem is he's not a dead eye with it. The ball doesn't go flying out of bounds or anything crazy but it's rare you see him hit a guy's "target hand" with the pass.

Quote:
true he might struggle a little with his shot, but most rookies do. Actually pretty much all rookies struggle with their shot coming in.
Not just struggle to make but struggle to GET shots also.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #37
Da KO King

Just wanted to add I've become less and less a fan of drafting athletes based on upside so I'm not a fan of DeAndre Jordan.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: