Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
KungFuJoe
Local High School Star

KungFuJoe has not been impressing people
Default Are fans not sympathetic enough towards injuries?

The whole DH situation made me think of this. Yeah, I don't really like the guy and the whole SVG situation made him look really bad. But, that being said, he's coming off back surgery (which is always serious) and from what he's been saying, he still isn't fully recovered. He's taking a LOT of heat for not playing at a level he exhibited when with the Magic.

Anyways...I see this a lot. A guy gets injured, goes through rehab, etc, comes back, doesn't perform at 100% and he gets slammed. I know these guys are getting paid millions of dollars and have the best doctors in the world, but if anyone has ever played after spraining an ankle or tweaking a knee, you know that most of the time, you're not just dealing with physical issues, but moreso, mental issues. And it's bad enough that you can't play the way YOU want to play, but you also have millions of fans, sports writers, etc just WAITING for any opportunity to chew you up and spit you out if you can't give 110% every single night.

Deron Williams is another guy...playing off injuries and now two bum ankles. He obviously is having a sub par (for his standards) season and fans are RELENTLESS in slamming him.

Sometimes I feel like fans and writers, media, etc...have no idea what it's like to actually play a sport and think that once you're back on the floor, regardless of how serious the injury was, that you should automatically be playing exactly how you were before you go injured.
KungFuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
Djahjaga
High School JV MVP

Djahjaga has decent reputation
Default Re: Are fans not sympathetic enough towards injuries?

Djahjaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP

Mr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation here

I'm sure teammates and former players are aware how injuries work. And they have been bashing him hard. Makes you wonder...
Mr. Jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Related, but a little different subject: Am I the only one that hates it when they replay injuries over and over? "Oh, that's just terrible. It's just hard to look at...now let's see that again."
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
K.Koscik
KobendLebronRBothGood

K.Koscik is a pretty well-respected posterK.Koscik is a pretty well-respected posterK.Koscik is a pretty well-respected poster

I don't know man. Hasn't Dwight said a couple of times that he's recovered fully from his injury? Besides the new shoulder thing, I mean.

It's not even like he had a slow start, his play is just plan spotty and inconsistent. He's not playing himself into shape anymore. If he was really injured, why would he be complaining about touches and his role in the offense?

I take back injuries very seriously and know the can really alter a players performance, but aside from people speculating I don't know if I can say with confidence that there are still resonating effects from his surgery, in my opinion it looks like it has a lot to do with effort. Just watching the games in some instances it doesn't even look like the guy is trying.

However, I will say that he looks physically limited in some cases. I wish we as fans could know for sure haha. But on a lot of plays it just looks like he doesn't really give a damn

EDIT: but yeah in general people assume the injuries won't have a bearing on how a player comes back unless it's something really severe like ACL damage or other common injuries

Last edited by K.Koscik : 02-12-2013 at 12:15 AM.
K.Koscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
KungFuJoe
Local High School Star

KungFuJoe has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
I'm sure teammates and former players are aware how injuries work. And they have been bashing him hard. Makes you wonder...

I was looking at this article:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...factured-media

Kobe talks about how the Lakers conflict has been overblown by the media and lots of things are taken out of context.

Really makes me wonder just how "evil" the media is when it comes to this kind of stuff. You know the media LOVES drama so I'm sure it will take any liberties in creating drama where they might otherwise be none or very little.
KungFuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

Dwight is fine. he just doesnt give a damn about playing 100% for Kobe and Buss and the rest of the Laker organization.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

chazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
Dwight is fine. he just doesnt give a damn about playing 100% for Kobe and Buss and the rest of the Laker organization.
Watch any random game of Dwight from the past two years and look at him now. You're delusional to think nothing's changed physically.
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
jstern
Great college starter

jstern is considered somewhat cooljstern is considered somewhat cool

It's human nature. The human brain is very limited, so when frustrated and wanting to vent they don't consider all the factors and selectively focus on the things that would make the player seem worse.
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

BlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

90% of fans:

don't know jack shit

about anything

period.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #11
stephanieg
College superstar

stephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected poster

Just rub some HGH in there.

If he's not capable of doing what he has in the past he shouldn't be complaining about touches or how the offense is structured. Board, D up, and set picks.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #12
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Related, but a little different subject: Am I the only one that hates it when they replay injuries over and over? "Oh, that's just terrible. It's just hard to look at...now let's see that again."

ESPN was replaying the hell out of RGIII's knee injury when it happened.

One of the most gruesome injuries I ever saw was Willis McGahee in his last college game. I could not watch the replays. I was squirming as I turned away.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #13
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Fans aren't sympathetic to just the general wear and tear of an 82 + playoffs season, you think they'll be sympathetic to a major surgery?

It's dumb, but it is what it is. If any of us had the surgery Dwight had, or an ACL tear, or spinal stenosis like TJ Ford, it'd be a life changing event. Something you talk about for decades, whenever it rains or gets a little chilly out. "Damn knee's actin up again." We expect these guys to bounce back like it's nothing because they have good surgeons and trainers, it's just stupid. These dudes aren't gods, other than friggin Adrian Peterson anyway.

It's the same kind of thing with trades. It'd be great to be a 20 something millionaire and all, but say tomorrow morning you get a call from your boss, "you work in Salt Lake City now." Not knocking SLC, never been there, just using it as a random example. Your entire life's uprooted in minutes.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: