Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Default Re: Football/soccer all-time draft tournament(organized matchups)

Quote Originally Posted by waseem780
    match ups finish at 9 votes
    Yes but I think we can make matchup votings overlap a bit, otherwise it will take too long.

Banned

i'll be a good guy greg and post the next 2 matchups ( will make an unbiased rant later ).

Last edited by cos88; 03-12-2014 at 11:10 AM.

Banned

This is quite easily a win for Overdrive's team imo.

Kobes' team has a lot of flaws, first of all SAF with what seems a 4-3-1-2 more than a 4-3-3.
    Ivanovic and Evra... are good for the current player draft, at an all-time level they're a stretch, especially considering they're the only guys on the flanks.
    Van Basten and Shearer are too similar... I mean, the Swan is clearly 10x better, but roughly the same type of striker.

I also like Overdrive's originality in choosing a 4-1-4-1 and picking players who definitely fit that. Very well thought out.

yeah overdrive too.. nice width vs no width at all.. plus overdrive's mid is much better

This one's close.
    I have to think.

who is the gk on waseem's team?

Quote Originally Posted by alenleomessi
    yeah overdrive too.. nice width vs no width at all.. plus overdrive's mid is much better
    In general, I think that the 4-3-1-2 is underrated in terms of width.
    See Ancelotti's Milan, it was a 4-3-1-2 but made great use of width.
    First of all the ball can never be in both wings at the same time, so if the CMs are good there is no problem shifting quickly the 3-men midfield from one side to the other, both in possession and not.
    Secondly, the tweak is that with the right FBs/WBs is more a 2-5-1-2.

The problem here is that Essien isn't really the right guy for that work, and while Cesc could be, he's strangely put in a very central position, behind Bergkamp. So basically is left wing is only Evra. Evra, not Roberto Carlos.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alenleomessi
    who is the gk on waseem's team?
    i had to go back at the original thread ... it's Peter Shilton

Didn't think it would be a unanimous L

Banned

KobesFinger vs Overdrive

my biggest problem with Kobe's team is the offensive trio is not compatible. i love dennis, he was schooled in total football can play any position in the center ( target man / trequartista / second striker etc ) so he isn't the problem. i respect the fact that you don't want classic wingers, no problem with this but one of Van Basten and Shearer should be replaced. if i was you i would replace shearer with an inside left footed forward to play a little more in the right to compensate the fact that that flank is dead on offense with only ivanovic there.

i need someone like: george best, someone with pace, acceleration, balance, two-footedness, goalscoring and the ability to beat defenders. or a robben from modern times. this would made this team 1000 times better. the midfield isn't great but isn't the worst thing i saw so far, i like fabregas having some space to go a little in the left but gerrard or lampard would be better than one of essien or cambiasso. evra was one of the best attacking lb in the last 10 years but as someone said hes no roberto carlos, who would be fantastic with all the left flank just for him.

i love overide's idea with several triangles. very good and original in this draft. i would love a better right winger than donadoni considering ramos will only defend. irwin and overmars are both underrated and will work well together, are compatible on both ends and both can attack more facing the dead left flank of the opposition in this matchup. if somehow you could pick at the time Rijkaard instead of nadal ( sammer - koeman - rijkaard would be filthy )

this isn't a blowout, a piece of cake as some of you say, it would be a great game considering both want possesion football but i'll go with overdrive but great effort by kobe.

Come to think of it he could have picked Vanenburg for that RW role, just to add more Dutch players in there

Overdrive vs. Kobe
    Trollsmasher vs Waseem

My picks.

raep tiem

Waseem and Overdrive.

Couple of notes on the Kobe and Override matchups.

It's a recurring theme in this draft and I know it is difficult, but gosh did you guys mess up the fullback selections. Especially the sentence "Ramos is smart and opens up the field with his overview and passing" is almost rage inducing. The main thing Ramos is good at while playing RB is keeping his head down going on ill-advised dribbles that never result in anything, leaving his flank exposed and giving some of the most horrible crosses of all time. He's the worst RB in the draft to me (though he wouldn't have been the worst selection at CB). The other guys are just mediocre on both teams.

Also I know some guys have been putting Overmars down, but he's one of the only wingers in the draft (maybe the only) who is great at making runs, great at creating space and generally just as valuable off-the-ball as dribbling. That's a tremendous asset on teams like these, since only one player can handle the ball at a time anyway. That's one of those great on paper <> great in reality things.

For Kobe, I think Van Basten is the best pure center forward ever and I agree Bergkamp would be a great offensive partner for him. But I also agree with the assessment of the other posters that Shearer is the odd man out here. Also outside the front three and Buffon, I don't think you utilized the "all time" aspect of the draft very well, the overall talent level of the midfield and the defense doesn't match up with most other teams in this draft.

Thus I select Overdrive too