Who's the better player?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Prime Carmelo Anthony vs. Prime Bernard King

Bernard

Bernard King.

Banned

King in today's game would be similar to a Michael Beasley. Gonna go with Melo.

Very similar players indeed. Melo even said he patterned his game after BK. I would roll with BK in this discussion. BK is arguably a top 10 GOAT SF ever. But I think peak value wise, King is clearly a top 10 SF of all time. And in terms of being a straight up scoring machine, he may be the BEST SF of all time peak value wise. But Melo is still somewhat young in his career, and in the all around sense is better than BK. But for who flat out is the better player, give me BK. I feel King and G Hill would have really shook up the GOAT SF list if they would have stayed healthy.

Bron is already shaking up that list and appears to be on collision course with Bird at the top. But Melo and Durant have the potential to shake up that list as well. I always dug those alpha dog SF's like King, Melo, Durant, Doc, Nique, English, Aguirre, and Dantley. Their all around games aren't on the level of Bird, Bron, Hondo, or Barry. But in terms of being straight up killers on the court, I really enjoy wathcin them play. And have a certain affinity for them because many of them tend to become underrated over time because they might have lacked the dominant all around skills of a Bird, Bron, Hondo, or Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by PHaYze
    why is that? king hardly took any 3's, had a deceptive first step and had a sick mid-range game

better questions....king vs english vs gervin vs dantley

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    why is that? king hardly took any 3's, had a deceptive first step and had a sick mid-range game
    i was kidding, i dont give a rats ass about bernard kings game.

he's probably better than melo though, doesnt take much.

Gervin hands down.

That really shouldn't be an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    Gervin hands down.

That really shouldn't be an argument.
    i almost didn't put him in there. peak wise, i agree. those other guys can make a case as far as career wise (except for king if solely for injuries). gervin was just too money though. 6'7" and top 10 in FG% twice?
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 03-13-2012 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PHaYze
    No. Not at all.

There really isn't any current NBA player to compare to Bernard King.

His "peak season" often gets overrated for his performance and eventual decline following injuries. The biggest mistake he made in his career was signing with the Bullets instead of joining the Celtics and coming off the bench. Red had a 1 year offer for him and he turned it down in favor of a bigger role. He would've contributed to a Championship team because an injured Larry Bird could've used a player like King to come off the bench and carry some of the scoring load.

If we're going off of their "peak season" then King has the edge.
    If we're going off of career then Melo has the edge already just 9 years in.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    Very similar players indeed. Melo even said he patterned his game after BK. I would roll with BK in this discussion. BK is arguably a top 10 GOAT SF ever. But I think peak value wise, King is clearly a top 10 SF of all time. And in terms of being a straight up scoring machine, he may be the BEST SF of all time peak value wise. But Melo is still somewhat young in his career, and in the all around sense is better than BK. But for who flat out is the better player, give me BK. I feel King and G Hill would have really shook up the GOAT SF list if they would have stayed healthy.

Bron is already shaking up that list and appears to be on collision course with Bird at the top. But Melo and Durant have the potential to shake up that list as well. I always dug those alpha dog SF's like King, Melo, Durant, Doc, Nique, English, Aguirre, and Dantley. Their all around games aren't on the level of Bird, Bron, Hondo, or Barry. But in terms of being straight up killers on the court, I really enjoy wathcin them play. And have a certain affinity for them because many of them tend to become underrated over time because they might have lacked the dominant all around skills of a Bird, Bron, Hondo, or Barry.
    i agree with grant, not so much king... he was just a scorer it seems.

**** up with melo. he kept a team in playoff contention every year when he was a nugget in the western conference, and what the **** is up with those ****ing knicks... under .500 really? its gonna hurt melo's status in the long run if there are several more seasons of this shit. its been really one whole season but most people will see it as 2 already...

Ice Man

its gonna hurt melo's status in the long run if there are several more seasons of this shit. its been really one whole season but most people will see it as 2 already...
    Already has. Between the Knicks and what the Nuggets have done he's a joke!

i almost didn't put him in there. peak wise, i agree. those other guys can make a case as far as career wise (except for king if solely for injuries). gervin was just too money though. 6'7" and top 10 in FG% twice?
    Agreed.

English, King, & Dantley get overrated by people today who are simply just looking at numbers of guys who "played in the 80's". Iceman is one of the best players to ever play in the NBA and its a shame he never played in a major market so that he could be immortalized.

People overlook him for his lack of championships but it isn't his fault entirely.

If the Spurs hadn't been in the Eastern Conference, he would've won a NBA Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    Agreed.

English, King, & Dantley get overrated by people today who are simply just looking at numbers of guys who "played in the 80's".
    English and Dantley were underrated when they played. They were comparable to Dominique despite the hype he got)similar to Carmelo today) and King who played in NY at the top of his game.

If the Spurs hadn't been in the Eastern Conference, he would've won a NBA Championship.
    By the early 80's they were certainly dominating the midwest division.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I'd take King over Melo.