Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker
 
egokiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 11,068
Default Why does someone born in a shit country act jealous of someone born elsewhere?

Why is someone born in a shit hole country have to be jealous towards someone who's not? Since when did where you were born become your own personal choice? Are people that fvcking stupid? I guess so. Why hate the player when you should instead hate the game? Why be incapable of basic level human understanding?

"It's not fair"

"It's easy to say that when you aren't the one born in a shit hole"

"It's easier for you because you were born with an advantage."

Hey asshole, people don't get to choose where they were born. It's not about where you were born, it's about the choices you make as an individual that should be hated or loved. Advantage? Learn how to overcome disadvantage. Are you breathing? Do you have a heart beat? OK then, what's the fvcking problem? No excuses. Aim for the sky.

Exactly.

Mic drop
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Prometheus
for your health
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,248
Default Re: Why does someone born in a shit country act jealous of someone born elsewhere?

I don't see your argument. If you replaced "jealous" with "resentful" or "spiteful", I would say I agree. But as far as I can tell, jealousy is primarily directed toward those who didn't earn whatever they have.

Like, I'm jealous of LeBron for his godlike athleticism. He didn't choose or earn it... he was just born with it. That's exactly the point.

I'm not jealous of someone who worked hard to earn themselves a great life. I admire those people.
Prometheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker
 
egokiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 11,068
Default Re: Why does someone born in a shit country act jealous of someone born elsewhere?

Spiteful is more what I was alluding to.

Time spent being spiteful is time not directed toward working to get others to admire.
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
AlternativeAcc.
~LeLakers Familia~
 
AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,238
Default Re: Why does someone born in a shit country act jealous of someone born elsewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
I don't see your argument. If you replaced "jealous" with "resentful" or "spiteful", I would say I agree. But as far as I can tell, jealousy is primarily directed toward those who didn't earn whatever they have.

Like, I'm jealous of LeBron for his godlike athleticism. He didn't choose or earn it... he was just born with it. That's exactly the point.

I'm not jealous of someone who worked hard to earn themselves a great life. I admire those people.
Yet people who work hard didn't choose the genetics or environment they grew up in to hone their ability to work hard and succeed. People that succeed due to hard work and intelligence are genetically gifted the same way LeBron is athletically. LeBron had to hone his athleticism over many years just like smart people hone their brain over many years and succeed in business. It's literally the same thing. People are born with genetic proclivities and through years of honing they become successful. You choosing to be jealous about one aspect of biology literally makes zero sense.

But anyways - the overall point of the OP is that people should stop comparing themselves to others and only focus on how to make themselves the best they can be. Complaining that other people are luckier than them is counterproductive - while it may be true - it does nothing to help themselves


"I wasn't born as pretty or smart as him, so why even bother"

^ that's some loser f@ggot shit right there
AlternativeAcc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #5
Prometheus
for your health
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,248
Default Re: Why does someone born in a shit country act jealous of someone born elsewhere?

Okay but if your reasoning is taken to its logical conclusion, no one can be blamed for anything. You're essentially implying that free will is an illusion. And the same "loser f@ggot shit" you're condemning is just as inevitable as someone's hard work or LeBron's athleticism. If someone is a failure, their genetics and environment predusposed them to be a failure amirite?
Prometheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #6
tpols
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,334
Default Re: Why does someone born in a shit country act jealous of someone born elsewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc.
Yet people who work hard didn't choose the genetics or environment they grew up in to hone their ability to work hard and succeed.


Bingo.

people tend to think only the physical is inherited but so is the mental.

shit..its probably easier to change the physical.
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #7
AlternativeAcc.
~LeLakers Familia~
 
AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,238
Default Re: Why does someone born in a shit country act jealous of someone born elsewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
Okay but if your reasoning is taken to its logical conclusion, no one can be blamed for anything. You're essentially implying that free will is an illusion. And the same "loser f@ggot shit" you're condemning is just as inevitable as someone's hard work or LeBron's athleticism. If someone is a failure, their genetics and environment predusposed them to be a failure amirite?
To an extent.

I think people that are losers were born and honed as such. People that blame others for their problems are genetically disadvantaged, and in many cases people that grow up in horrible environments were honed to make horrible decisions in life.

You can give a monkey a spear and teach him how to fish. You can teach a loser not to be a loser; it'll just be a lot harder for them than the genetically gifted ones.
AlternativeAcc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #8
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker
 
egokiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 11,068
Default Re: Why does someone born in a shit country act jealous of someone born elsewhere?

I don't know about you guys, but when I hear about these rags to riches stories I get excited because I know the people who did it were hard workers and it's motivating. Some of us get to a point and get comfortable with paid off cars, house, good investments, excellent social circles, family well off, and then we get lazier because we think it's OK. This cruise control shit isn't just working for me anymore. That's called being fvcking lazy and I'm just as guilty of it as the next guy but that doesn't mean it's OK. We get comfortable and think it's OK because we have all of our past hard work to reflect on. At that point it takes serious motivation to make the necessary life changes. I've been reading more and more stories like these:

https://www.workandmoney.com/s/inspi...66a865d6dd45d8
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #9
JEFFERSON MONEY
5-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,207
Default Re: Why does someone born in a shit country act jealous of someone born elsewhere?

Your rizq (provision) was fixed before you were born.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:17 AM   #10
Micku
NBA rookie of the year
 
Micku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,882
Default Re: Why does someone born in a shit country act jealous of someone born elsewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
Why is someone born in a shit hole country have to be jealous towards someone who's not? Since when did where you were born become your own personal choice? Are people that fvcking stupid? I guess so. Why hate the player when you should instead hate the game? Why be incapable of basic level human understanding?

"It's not fair"

"It's easy to say that when you aren't the one born in a shit hole"

"It's easier for you because you were born with an advantage."

Hey asshole, people don't get to choose where they were born. It's not about where you were born, it's about the choices you make as an individual that should be hated or loved. Advantage? Learn how to overcome disadvantage. Are you breathing? Do you have a heart beat? OK then, what's the fvcking problem? No excuses. Aim for the sky.

Exactly.

Mic drop

wtf?

If you were born as a peasant in NK, you probably wouldn't have an easy life and potentially brain washed. If you were born poor and abandon and Pakistan, you could be molested. You could be kidnapped and used in human tracking, force to be a sex worker or whatever. You could be working at super young age as a kid in Bangladesh. And this isn't even counting genetic disorders, disadvantage in education and potential diseases where you're at.

It's natural for humans to be jealous. Hell in the USA, if you were black prior to the 60s you have to deal with open racism. Seperate but equal, which wasn't really equal. You have to deal with Jim Crow laws. And that still carried over past the 60s. In the 1800s and below you could be born a slave. Or you could be in the wrong side of the French Revolution and get your head chopped off, even as a kid just because your parents were born high class.

Some ppl are born rich enough and can afford to be dumb and enjoy their lives better than the hard working ppl who try to do as much as they could to survive. Some ppl are born smart, some ppl born with downs syndrome. Some are blind, dumb, or deaf and others are not. Some ppl are born with more myostatin limiters than others, which makes it harder for you to gain muscle mass. Nothing in this life is fair. You do have to work with the cards that you've been given, but telling them not to be jealous? That's human nature. Everyone has experiences jealously. That won't solve anything. Even being spiteful to some degree. You could say it's better not to have that attitude do the best that you can, but how you worded it just comes across as being callous.

Last edited by Micku : 07-21-2019 at 02:20 AM.
Micku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:29 AM   #11
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 28,536
Default Re: Why does someone born in a shit country act jealous of someone born elsewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
Like, I'm jealous of LeBron for his godlike athleticism. He didn't choose or earn it... he was just born with it. That's exactly the point.
That’s not jealousy, that’s envy. Wanting something that somebody else has is envy. Being upset that somebody has something that you believe should be yours is jealousy.

For example, there’s no such thing as an envious boyfriend or husband. If you’re a jealous husband, it’s because she’s YOUR wife. Other men shouldn’t have her.

You might be envious of Jeff Bezos’ money. If a guy at your work gets the promotion that you believe is rightfully yours, you’re jealous.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

2019 FIBA World Cup

Team USA Basketball

NBA free agency

NBA free agents list

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy