Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
bagelred
Stare

Default The Official 2009 Free Agent Prediction Thread

Getting closer and closer to the offseason, and teams will have to start making decisions on their Free Agents.

So let's predict....list the Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agents of your team and predict if they get resigned, traded, or where they might go.

I'll start:

Restricted

David Lee - After some negotiation, Lee will stay with Knicks and not even bother trying to sign offer sheet somewhere else. I predict a 5 year, $40 million contract.

Nate Robinson - Knicks will give him qualifying offer. Nate will sign an offer sheet somewhere else and Knicks won't match. This will be a tough call.

Unrestricted

Chris Wilcox - Knicks could probably use another big man as insurance in case trade Curry and/or Jeffries. But Wilcox will probably look for longer commitment than one year, so I'll say he's a goner. Look for a Golden State to try to pick him up.

Possible Incoming? - If Knicks can't secure a Jason Kidd or another quality PG, look for them to add another big man with MLE. I'm thinking Knicks offer Channing Frye a small 3 year contract, with team options after first year.....He's a big man that might play well in run and gun. Again, Knicks need big man insurance with Curry and Jeffries possibly on block.

Last edited by bagelred : 05-26-2009 at 10:35 AM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
bagelred
Stare

Default Re: The Official 2009 Free Agent Prediction Thread

C'mon give us some insight.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
el gringos
College superstar

I think the nugs resign linas kleiza to somewhere around a 5 year 20 million contract- after a terrible season I thought maybe he was in line for 2 years 5 mill but he is reproving his worth to the nugs in the playoffs- and I don't think anyone comes in and gives him full mle

Anthony carter and dahntay jones will likely be brought back at min salary deals unless someone else offers multi year or more than a million(please someone be foolish enough to do so)

Birdman has earned himself a raise somewhere- I hope its 2 years 5-6 to stay in denver and think itd take a good amount more for him to leave

Nugs also have over 13 mill in trade exemptions and need a gaurd and a big- nugs are too small and have problems spreading the floor, and should have convinced ownership that the team can win if complete- rasheed wallace solves all that and will be brought in for 2 years 18-20 mill

I would also like to see the gaurd spot fixed with ben gordon or jarret jack but mostly I'd rather see the nugs trade as many future picks as needed to break into the draft for jrue holiday or even jeff teague

Oh yeah and if that's not enough I want the nugs to use the mle on bostjan nachbar

Chances are though nugs stay cheap and bring back the same team- also I think knicks wone be able to resign lee for 8 a year and don't see gs going after wilcox but good thoughts
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
bagelred
Stare

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos

Oh yeah and if that's not enough I want the nugs to use the mle on bostjan nachbar

Nachbar is a decent player, but you probably don't have to use whole MLE on him.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Restricted

None

Unrestricted

Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Early Terminator Option) - I think he's got one more year left in the tank before he wants to retire. The Cavs need to find a starting center and bring Z off the bench.

Joe Smith - Maybe he'll resign, maybe not. If he still wants to play and take a pay cut I'm sure they'll resign him. He's a solid big off the bench, plus he wants to come play for Cleveland.

Wally Szczerbiak - They're possibly going to let his massive contract walk. $13 million. Perhaps Ferry regrets pulling any trades for something else? But Wally likes Cleveland so I could see him resigning for the veteran minimum and coming off the bench again.

Anderson Varejao (P) - I don't know if he's leaving or not, but it's important to keep him as the hustle/energy guy off the bench or starting. A lot of people don't like him becasue he flops, but he's more valuable to the Cavaliers than people realize. If they lose him they need to replace him (possibly Brandon Bass?).

Lorenzen Wright - Obviously they let him go. They tried playing him in the beginning of the season. He was pretty much worthless in those games. He's road the bench since.

Possible Incoming?

Here's a blog I found online recently. I pretty much agree with everything the guy says so I'll just post that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marth193 @ FanNation.com
the midst of the '09 NBA season, the Cavs didn't seem to have any major needs whatsoever. Statistically they were near perfect, and the handled both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball with ease. Obviously, the best record in the NBA doesn't come easy, and LeBron's Cavs didn't make it look difficult. Here they are, smack in the middle of a Cleveland vs. Orlando series, with the Magic leading 2-1. It appears as though the Cavs have needs all over the court, with Orlando playing at a much higher level than most of the Cavs roster. Analyzing the problems they're having is easy (poor bench play, no post defense, inconsistent shooting, far too many turnovers), but personnel issues can't be resolved until the offseason. With the draft coming and a busy free agency for all teams, where will the Cavaliers look to address their needs? Internally, Anderson Varejao, Wally Szczerbiak, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, and Lorenzen Wright are the FAs that are potentially worth signing. If they lock up Szczerbiak for the vet minimum, he instantly provides reasonable depth to the SG/SF position. Varejao, who's proven to be an athletic, defensive PF, would cost what an above average, defensive PF would, which happens to be alot of money. Ilguaskas may just retire, or resign for less money. Signing Z for what he's worth keeps the center position above average, so a one or two year deal seems likely. But 3/4 of the Cavs FAs already mentioned happen to be one of the Cavs biggest problems in the series against the Magic. Neither Varejao or Ilguaskas has been effective at all against Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, or Yao Ming. If they let Varejao slide, keep Z for less money, and assuming Ben Wallace's contract expires, Cleveland would have enough money to go after Carlos Boozer, Glen Davis, or Leon Powe. It's understood what happened with Boozer in the past, but LeBron likes him, and he's a big, tough shooter that is more consistent than Varejao. A starting team with Boozer looks a lot better than a starting team without him. If we don't resign Z, packaging youth (like Daniel Gibson or Hickson)+draft picks could land us Shaquille O'Neal, who would be more than beneficial in supporting LeBron and being a defensive presence. Addressing the bad shooting/inconsistent bench problems could be solved by spending money on the proven great bench players. Andre Miller, an assist-machine and great clutch shooter could help take pressure off LeBron and Mo. Trevor Ariza and Michael Finley would also fill the need, but are likely to resign with their respective teams. Other possible signings are Rim Hamilton, Danny Granger, Hedo Turkoglu, and Ron Artest, all of which are longshots.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
bagelred
Stare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
Restricted

Here's a blog I found online recently. I pretty much agree with everything the guy says so I'll just post that...

Cavs have no cap space for FA's except MLE. Wallace is locked up, Z has an option year so they will be over cap.

Wally isn't going to accept vets minimum. He will want to get paid like everyone else. I'm sure he will want 4-5 million a year.....
Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Señor Cedric
why live??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
Possible Incoming?

Thanks for posting that unreadable crap.
Señor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Sixers aint got much cap space to work with.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
bagelred
Stare

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Sixers aint got much cap space to work with.

Well who will be free agents and will they resign? Isn't Miller a FA?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Toizumi
veteran savvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Cedric
Thanks for posting that unreadable crap.

Anyway.. for Detroit (not my favorite team btw.. but I thought why not)
  • Sheed's gone (duh) Hope he signs with a contender (spurs spurs spurs). There was a rumor he wouldnt sign anywere for less than 8 mill.. Hope this isnt true.
  • AI's not staying either (more duh).. Nobody knows where he might end up. Charlotte gets mentioned a lot.
  • Walter Hermann.. no news on him but they might want to resign him. He's ok as a back up
  • McDyess will go. He'll probably sign with a contender and be a valuable back up veteran big guy (nice terminology huh?)

EDIT- Possible incoming: They're want to sign a big name since they have some cap space. They're looking for a big. Rumor is they like Boozer.
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
bagelred
Stare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toizumi
\[*]McDyess will go. He'll probably sign with a contender and be a valuable back up veteran big guy (nice terminology huh?) [/list]

"Hi....My name is Antonio McDyess.....I'm a valuable back up veteran big guy."

Group "Hi Antonio!!!!"
Old 05-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Well who will be free agents and will they resign? Isn't Miller a FA?

Donyell Marshall, Theo Ratliff, Kareem Rush, Royal Ivy are free agents. Cant see any of then returning. Theo left on a bad note slamming Tony Dileo. Kareem Rush hardly played. Donyell Marshall was decent when given minutes but I think he'll go to a title contender and be a help there. Ivy didnt do anything to make you say "We gotta keep him", or "No way we resign"

Andre Miller is the most notable free agent. I say let him walk (perhaps sign and trade with someone. Maybe Miami Heat?) and draft his replacement in a PG heavy draft.

Lookin at Free agents you got PG - Ramon Sessions RFA, Raymond Felton RFA, SG - Ben Gordon UFA, Von Wafer UFA, R.McCants RFA

Not much in the FA pool to pick from realistically speaking.

PG - /Lou Williams
SG - Andre Iguodala/Willie Green
SF - Thaddeus Young/
PF - Elton Brand/Marreese Speights/R.Evans
C - Samuel dalembert/Jason Smith

I'd like to get rid of Willie Green and/or Reggie Evans. Add a shooter at SG or SF (a guy who can shoot the 3 ball). Either spot will do.

Last edited by GOBB : 05-27-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
BankShot
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Donyell Marshall, Theo Ratliff, Kareem Rush, Royal Ivy are free agents. Cant see any of then returning. Theo left on a bad note slamming Tony Dileo. Kareem Rush hardly played. Donyell Marshall was decent when given minutes but I think he'll go to a title contender and be a help there. Ivy didnt do anything to make you say "We gotta keep him", or "No way we resign"

Andre Miller is the most notable free agent. I say let him walk (perhaps sign and trade with someone. Maybe Miami Heat?) and draft his replacement in a PG heavy draft.

Lookin at Free agents you got PG - Ramon Sessions RFA, Raymond Felton RFA, SG - Ben Gordon UFA, Von Wafer UFA, R.McCants RFA

Not much in the FA pool to pick from realistically speaking.

Von Wafer's a shooter, so he could bring some offense off the bench and/or spread the floor for Iggy/Young/Brand... I could see the Sixers offering him something in the range of 3 years $12 million
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Von Wafer's a shooter, so he could bring some offense off the bench and/or spread the floor for Iggy/Young/Brand... I could see the Sixers offering him something in the range of 3 years $12 million

Yeah I'd take him over Willie Green. Altho I'm not sure what else Von Wafer brings. I think watching him in the playoffs dude can have brain farts. But eh.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Pacers

Jarrett Jack, RFA - I expect him back, but if it's for anything more than say $4M for 3/4 years, I think they've got to pass on signing him. He's the type of gritty hard worker you love to have on your team, but the love of his heart can make you overlook his shortcomings a bit. Classic tweener guard, not a real capable starter long term at either backcourt spot. Not able to facilitate well enough for the 1, not able to shoot or create his own shot well enough for the 2. Too slow to guard ones, too short to guard 2s. Not that he's a bad defender, just stuck between positions.

Rasho Nesterovic, UFA - Gone. Has very little left in him. Has said he'll weigh NBA options but likely to get more money overseas.

Maceo Baston, UFA - Gone. Back overseas.

Josh McRoberts, UFA - I expect him back. Can be a solid 8th man or so down the road I think, maybe 2 years for a bit above the minimum.

Stephen Graham, UFA - Whatever. May be back for the minimum just as a 12th man type. Most athletic guy on the roster, and can get hot and score in bunches at times. Capable defender. Blackhole.

Marquis Daniels, team option for $7.5M - Option definitely not picked up. But with the lack of depth at the wing with Dunleavy currently an unknown, I'd love to have him back, but short of signing for the minimum (not happening) they won't be able to keep him and Jack. Will make a solid backup wing for someone for around $4.5.

There's around $14M in dead money on the roster right now with Tinsley and Dunleavy. Even when Dunleavy's back they're effectively working with a cap that's $7M+ less than everyone else's. People should realize this in their evaluation of Bird. I'm not complaining, that situation is just as much on them as anyone else. I do expect a buyout with Tinsley this summer, so maybe'll they'll clear another $1M or so from the cap with that.

I'd love to sign Marcin Gortat, but I imagine a number of other teams with more money to spend would also, as well as Orlando wanting to keep him.

Oh, and that big block of blog post text mentions Granger being a FA. He's not, signed an extension just before the season.

Last edited by InspiredLebowski : 05-27-2009 at 11:32 AM.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: