Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Kobe -- Agrees to 2 year extension [Dan Patrick Show]?

Well thats just dumb

Before everyone trips out, the Lakers know what they're doing if they're giving him an extension this early.

One source says "this almost guarantees Steve Nash will meet the stretch provision, but we'll see".

Lakers still have room 1 for Max player.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBballer
    Dirk has publicly said he would take less next season to get another FA. AK47 passed up on $$$ for a chance at a ring. Even Lebron took less than the max.

Kobe isn't that type of player. He will forever want to known as the man. No star will ever want to go there.
    So he took 10x less money and will not get a ring.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Boomerang
    Wrong. Kobe chose Loyalty.
    Haslem chose loyalty when he took 4/18 instead of the 3/20 that was on the table elsewhere. When someone gives you more than you are worth on the court thats not loyalty. Thats just taking the biggest pile of cash.

If he really wanted to win a 6th he takes less and gets some big names to join him. He might not make the playoffs his last three years. I think that is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    Haslem chose loyalty when he took 4/18 instead of the 3/20 that was on the table elsewhere. When someone gives you more than you are worth on the court thats not loyalty. Thats just taking the biggest pile of cash.

If he really wanted to win a 6th he takes less and gets some big names to join him. He might not make the playoffs his last three years. I think that is sad.

Cant believe all the haters. Hes bringing much more than the $23m to the organization than hes been paid to.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid

You think you know more about winning championships than kobe

Lakers have no problem paying the luxury tax either...

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    So he took 10x less money and will not get a ring.
    Ye but he has made 100 million in his career and wants a chance at a ring. Nonetheless he has a player option.

Kobe isn't about that life, and it's not even about money IMO. Kobe's ego will not let him take anything less than the max because he feels he's the best player in the league and deserves nothing less.

Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    Before everyone trips out, the Lakers know what they're doing

Nah I really don't think they do. This isn't Jerry Buss, the genius visionary. This is Jim Buss, his idiot son that has no business being in that position. I'm not even a Lakers fan but it makes me mad. I like seeing the Lakers do well because it's good for the league. This is the guy that took a pass on Phil Jackson for Pringles.

I guess it's about making money rather than winning championships right now. Because tying that much money into one (aging) player isn't going to get you there.
    Last edited by Goldrush25; 11-25-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

they're going to be giving 25 million a year for a 37/38 year old with 20 years of nba mileage and coming off a serious injury.

i understand loyalty and all but

i'm sorry, but that just seems absurd to me

Rip Samurai Swoosh L8kersfan222's Avatar

[COLOR=Teal]Sounds fair given his stardom and accolades (though some might question that with him rehabbing a major injury at his age.) Whether or not the extension will not hamper the Lakers ability of surrounding him with enough quality players to win another title however remains to be seen.[/COLOR]

NBA lottery pick

Cant believe all the haters. Hes bringing much more than the $23m to the organization than hes been paid to.
    Oh he

It's not about if he is "worth it" the issue is the Lakers are financially strapped in adding more pieces. This isn't the EPL where the lakers can outspend everyone. The salary cap this year is at 58 million or so this year. If Kobe is paid around 20-23 million that means he is taking roughly 33% of the cap leaving the other amount to fill in other positions. Not to mention Nash's contract is still on the books for almost 10 mill next season.

The extension pretty much guarantees Kobe will not win another championship in his career.
    Last edited by ALBballer; 11-25-2013 at 01:05 PM.

I don't think criticizing his decision here "hating." Kobe had 2 options a) do as Colin Cowhert suggested and take a little less which would give the team flexibility to surround him with more talent; therefore giving him his best chance to win his 6th title or b) take the most he could get; at the expense of his supporting cast.

He chose (b). Do you really think there wouldn't be any second-guessing of that decision?