Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: Why don't professional sports teams just have private showers?

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    agreed thats a super easy solution to a somewhat complex problem. one should always take advantage of those. especially since these sports organizations are worth billions of dollars and installing a new shower system..... would not cost very much

[COLOR="Red"]i always thought the 'problem' was less in reference to voluntary voyeurism and more in reference to involuntary arousal lol [/COLOR]
    never thought about this much until the Collins thing but I think it is somewhat similar to a straight guy in on woman's shower even knowing he won't do anything...they would not be the least bit worried about rape or actual sex, they just don't feel comfortable knowing there "might be" someone taking notes...a man in their shower would creep them out

and you know what, they should be creeped out by that, because if I was showering with women then you can bet your ass I'll be looking out of the corner of my eye and sneaking peeks every chance I get...

being a straight man who thinks about sex every 3 minutes (literally on average), and knowing how I would act in a shower with women, the gender I am attracted to...how can anyone blame me for assuming a gay man in a shower full of males would be the same as myself in a shower full of females?

Perhaps it is nothing like that...Collins has been showering with males his whole career and perhaps never once did he "sneak a peek" or think even about sex...but no one knows that but HIM

rank sentamentalist

thats actually a funny double standard that goes in the opposite direction of most

nobody bats an eye when a women complains about being uncomfortable showering with even the potential of a man leering at her. yet a man who makes a similar complaint is automatically labeled a homophobe.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

I imagine it's been answered, but they do.

Good college starter Eldrunko247's Avatar

I believe gays should be able to marry and all that good shit. I wouldn't want to shower with them though or any other dudes for that matter if I had the choice. You have to be kidding me if you think Jason Collins was somehow able to suppress his gayness in the showers or locker room. He's gay and worships the dong. As if he could block that out just as a straight man could block out titties.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    On NFL Network today they were debating if the Jason Collins news would make it awkward in NFL showers, as though everyone is going to start being suspicious of everyone.

I have what I think is a simple solution to the whole shower debacle...give athletes private showers!

these are multi-million dollar sports teams...some BILLION DOLLAR TEAMS...it isn't like that is a major expense

they have private toilets right?...just give them private showers as well...isn't it time we evolve our shower rooms past the huge group jail like setting?

at my Jr. High and High School, the group shower rooms never got used anyway...they collected spider webs...and I played football!...practice took place after school and then everyone just went home to shower, no one even wanted to shower around each other.
    There is no debacle. Not one athlete around him mentioned showers. It's really strange to think that showering after games is this sexual experience for gay men where they try to get straight guys.

When you shower do you all stand around staring at each other while you do it? You shower, you get out. Some people spend a long time, some are quick. Not everyone starts at the same time.

I hate to break it to all of you, any of you who showered in school, or showered in a locker room after a game, etc. almost 100% were in a shower with a gay person.
    Last edited by niko; 05-02-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    There is no debacle. Not one athlete around him mentioned showers. It's really strange to think that showering after games is this sexual experience for gay men where they try to get straight guys.

When you shower do you all stand around staring at each other while you do it? You shower, you get out. Some people spend a long time, some are quick. Not everyone starts at the same time.

I hate to break it to all of you, any of you who showered in school, or showered in a locker room after a game, etc. almost 100% were in a shower with a gay person.
    of course no athlete has come forward and declared they don't want to shower with him now, but this topic came up several times on various sports media since Collins came out...and like mentioned earlier "IF" I was showering with women (the gender I am attracted to) then you can bet your ass I would be sneaking peeks and looking out the corner of my eye...but I am to assume he would act different than myself for some reason when he is around the gender he is attracted to?

of course no athlete has come forward and declared they don't want to shower with him now, but this topic came up several times on various sports media since Collins came out...and like mentioned earlier "IF" I was showering with women (the gender I am attracted to) then you can bet your ass I would be sneaking peeks and looking out the corner of my eye...but I am to assume he would act different than myself for some reason when he is around the gender he is attracted to?
    Yes he would because gay men are not women, they are gay men. They've had a lifetime to adjust to being gay and understanding how to act, and they understand there is a segment of the population "off limit" to them. It's not the same as showering with women. Being gay and using the men's room or the men's shower is normal. Showering with women is not normal.

It's honestly not a big deal. If you specifically knew this one person was gay and this one person made you nervous i get it but random stranger A,B or C is gay and they might attack you is strange, no one is doing that.

Maybe it's having gay friends when i was at work the way they talk, etc. it's clear they understand 100% you (me) are not gay. I'd worry more about being in a situation where there is alcohol (like a bar) etc. about a gay person. shower, not so much.

Don't shower with drunk gay people i guess....

niko you can't just "adjust" your hormones like that...if I grew up showering with women since birth I would STILL be attracted to naked women today...sexual attraction is the one thing that never goes out of style or gets old for anyone

and you are saying it is different because it is "normal" for them to shower with men?...so under that theory we could all start showering together from here out, men and women, gay and straight, so that it is "normal" to everyone and that way no one will ever be attracted to anyone in a shower...lol...why do you think they separate men and women to begin with?

also, this isn't really about how you personally would act...perhaps you have a million gay pals and would be completely comfortable dancing naked for them in a gay strip club...but you need to realize that not everyone else is like you.

niko you can't just "adjust" your hormones like that...if I grew up showering with women since birth I would STILL be attracted to naked women today...sexual attraction is the one thing that never goes out of style or gets old for anyone

and you are saying it is different because it is "normal" for them to shower with men?...so under that theory we could all start showering together from here out, men and women, gay and straight, so that it is "normal" to everyone and that way no one will ever be attracted to anyone in a shower...lol...why do you think they separate men and women to begin with?

also, this isn't really about how you personally would act...perhaps you have a million gay pals and would be completely comfortable dancing naked for them in a gay strip club...but you need to realize that not everyone else is like you.
    What do you do in the shower after a game, etc. that you equate it with dancing naked in a gay strip club? You are too freaky for me.

Gay men are not women. The dynamic between gay men and straight men is not a male / female dynamic.

I know now maybe openly 2 gay men as friends and a few women, we had a few at work, not 100 of them. Now i change in the locker room at swimming and there are 2 openly gay men who bring their kids. They don't look at me, they change. They chat about their kids, their houses, their boat (people have money, i feel poor). It's all very boring.

Note: If it bothers you and you found a shower alone, etc. that's cool. That's totally fine and not at all strange. I just think you are applying what is bothering you as a problem that needs solving, it's not - it's just something that is bothering you and some others. It doesn't need to be solved.
    Last edited by niko; 05-02-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    What do you do in the shower after a game, etc. that you equate it with dancing naked in a gay strip club? You too freaking for me.

Gay men are not women. The dynamic between gay men and straight men is not a male / female dynamic.

I know now maybe openly 2 gay men as friends and a few women, we had a few at work, not 100 of them. Now i change in the locker room at swimming and there are 2 openly gay men who bring their kids. They don't look at me, they change. They chat about their kids, their houses, their boat (people have money, i feel poor). It's all very boring.

Note: If it bothers you and you found a shower alone, etc. that's cool. That's totally fine and not at all strange. I just think you are applying what is bothering you as a problem that needs solving, it's not - it's just something that is bothering you and some others. It doesn't need to be solved.
    again I am not comparing gay men to women, I am comparing a gay man in a men's shower (the gender they are attracted to), to a STRAIGHT MAN in a woman's shower (the gender they are attracted to)

the dynamic between a gay man and a MAN I would assume is very very similar to the dynamic between a straight man and a WOMAN

why would you or me assume otherwise?...because you have a couple gay friends that aren't attracted to you?...so if you have a few female friends that aren't attracted to you are you going to assume every female on the planet is also not attracted to you?

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

the dynamic between a gay man and a MAN I would assume is very very similar to the dynamic between a straight man and a WOMAN
    OK, so you are in the shower with a group of women. Some you find attractive some you don't. What do you do?

Are you going to stand and stare with an erection? Are you going to walk over and start squeezing their tits and ass? Are you going to basically rape them? Or are you going to keep to yourself because it would be socially unacceptable to act like a dirty old man? I'd say the last one. Just because clothes are off doesn't mean social rules fly out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    OK, so you are in the shower with a group of women. Some you find attractive some you don't. What do you do?

Are you going to stand and stare with an erection? Are you going to walk over and start squeezing their tits and ass? Are you going to basically rape them? Or are you going to keep to yourself because it would be socially unacceptable to act like a dirty old man? I'd say the last one. Just because clothes are off doesn't mean social rules fly out the door.
    agreed, I would keep to myself, probably have repeated sex with them all in my thoughts...

so are you suggesting we should be able to shower with women because we wouldn't do anything? If a man was staring in a woman's shower through a hole in the wall they would still find that unacceptable...it would make them uncomfortable...I am sure you understand that right?...so why is it so hard to understand the other way?...why is that double standard there?