Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Default Comic Book Rating Thread

I'm somewhat surprised this isn't a thread already. Or at least it didn't come up in the first 8 pages of a search. I know we have a general comic book thread, but this is specifically for ratings and recommendations.

Self-explanatory. I know we have a ton of comic book people on the site so why not share what you recently read, or what you recently read of note.

I'll start. I'm just gonna say pass or read on mine for now because it's hard to do any kind of scale imo since everything is so varied and subjective.

Iron Man Armor Wars: PASS

Fairly standard fare for it's era, it had some interesting things happening. But it's a story line that you can just look up, rather than read. I will admit I have a bias against Tony Stark. I don't like the character. But this was a pretty boring mini-series imo. It may not help that immediately after I read and compared it to:

Batman Dark Victory: READ

I would first like to remark on the art work. I wasn't a major fan of the work done by Tim Sale, until a villain showed up. His interpretation of the Joker is among my favorites. The story is good, albeit a little anti-climatic, and I was a little bummed when a particularly interesting potential character conflict was closed within the saga. But I recommend a read. It's good, but Long Halloween is better.

Spider Island: READ

Some may remember, but I love Spider Island. It's still probably my favorite Spidey event of the last little bit. (Granted I still have some Superior to catch up on). The whole concept of it is amazing, and it reaffirms why Peter Parker is so great. Some people aren't a fan of Humberto Ramos, and that's fine, but I think his artwork fits PERFECTLY with Spider-Man titles. The combination of Dan Slott and Ramos has made new Spidey pickups a safe bet imo.

Banned

Default Re: Comic Book Rating Thread

Saga 20/10

   

seems like everyone here is nuts about superhero comics... i doubt there would be much interest in my opinions on eurocomix and indy / alt comics.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    seems like everyone here is nuts about superhero comics... i doubt there would be much interest in my opinions on eurocomix and indy / alt comics.
    Share them.

Banned

You would be surprised then..

   

Quote Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
    Share them.
    okay, when i get back i'll post some pics and ratings for a couple i've recently enjoyed and think you guys might like. if you want to look them up yourself, i'll just list the names for now:

murena - the rise and fall of the depraved emperor nero of rome.
    superf-ckers - an obscene parody of teenage superheroes.
    barbara - an artist struggles to find his mentally disturbed drunken muse.
    D4VE - robot supersociety somewhat parodying modern culture.
    requiem, le chevalier vampire - a nazi officer is killed during WWII and reincarnates as a vampire in hell searching for his dead jewish GF.

Two-Time Oscar MVP robert de niro's Avatar

all Jason comics and his weird anthropomorphic dogs and birds characters 10/10

okay, when i get back i'll post some pics and ratings for a couple i've recently enjoyed and think you guys might like. if you want to look them up yourself, i'll just list the names for now:

murena - the rise and fall of the depraved emperor nero of rome.
    superf-ckers - an obscene parody of teenage superheroes.
    barbara - an artist struggles to find his mentally disturbed drunken muse.
    D4VE - robot supersociety somewhat parodying modern culture.
    requiem, le chevalier vampire - a nazi officer is killed during WWII and reincarnates as a vampire in hell searching for his dead jewish GF.
    Can you PM me a link for Murena? I wanna check it out.

   

it's just a proxy site so i think it's okay to share here.
    at the bottom there's links to snag all eight books in one shot.
    http://mycomicpost.com/?p=113259

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The story begins in ancient Rome during the reign of Emperor Claudius. The Emperor fell in love with a young woman, leaving alone the terrible Agrippina and her adopted son, the future Emperor Nero. After Claudius was murdered, Nero ascends the throne and becomes the prey of madness, real or imagined, that consumes him. Through these episodes, we see how Nero, by a combination of circumstances, becomes more and more evil. A game of manipulation and revenge begins...

   

Song of the Vampires 1-13
    http://mycomicpost.com/?p=112781

this has been another great eurocomix series. it actually has very little to do with vampires in the traditional sense, being more about espionage, an alien race, govts / corporations, science, immortality and even a bit philosophy. nudity is present, but casual and natural as with other euro-style works.

drawbacks: the art is fairly average and the translation is a little strained at times, but it hardly matters. this is a fascinating thriller with great plot twists and secrets slowly revealed.

   

another very nice series about warfare, alliances and betrayal set to the roman classical period... specificially the days of augustus caesar and tiberius caesar i believe.

The Eagles of Rome, books 1-4
    http://mycomicpost.com/?p=112838
    http://mycomicpost.com/?p=113214

Murena was fantastic, btw. Added up a bunch of drama, but stayed close to the historical sources. Reminded me of the mini-series Rome. I already got at least 3 other friends to read it.

I'ma check out the Eagles of Rome as well.

   

Quote Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
    Murena was fantastic, btw. Added up a bunch of drama, but stayed close to the historical sources. Reminded me of the mini-series Rome. I already got at least 3 other friends to read it.

I'ma check out the Eagles of Rome as well.
    dat's what i like to hear!

well i am going through my collection these days... completing some sets... tossing others in the bin that don't quite make the cut. but i am blown away by the high quality of this stuff... blown away by the huge signal-to-noise ratio. anyway if you like the picks i've shared, i could mention dozens of others just as good or better... covering all eras and genres. here's one such example before it leaves my mind:

Special Branch, all three books
    http://mycomicpost.com/?p=111821
    http://mycomicpost.com/?p=116410
    http://mycomicpost.com/?p=117020

this is a detective story / murder mystery / unraveling of a conspiracy running in to the highest levels of govt, set in late 1800's england. art, plot and story-telling are just fabulous.

   

just finished a two-part graphic novel about boxing called "anger" (english version) by baru. it's about a polish teenager who grew up in the paris projects. he has a gift for boxing and wants to drop high school, start making some money and get the hell out of there. his father is violently opposed to the idea. eventually he makes it to america, keeps winning, and runs in to the boxing lords (dong king and bob arum). when he begins to upset their cash cows, they have a women seduce him (she also falls for him in turn), then have him framed for murder. the books begin with his murder trial, then move in to long flashbacks showing the backstory.

the artwork here is loose, vibrant watercolors. really fits the story. the plot is suberb, raw and nuanced... basically movie-level. some nudity and a good deal of language. i originally found this on file storage sites two years ago but i see the links have disappeared. nowadays you can probably find it on amazon or torrents or whatever.

. .