Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Bobcats Forum

Charlotte Bobcats Forum Charlotte Bobcats message board - charlotte bobcats fan forum

Old 03-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation
Default Bulls beat Wizards last night... Bobcats up to bat

So obviously Chicago got a much needed win against Washington last night, and tomorrow night we're visiting the Wizards in hopes of doing the same. It's not like Washington has much to play for, but considering we're in the same division as them, perhaps they'll play a bit harder against us.

Looking at the remaining schedule Chicago seems to have mostly home games remaining; they play Detroit twice then Miami and Philly once in their lingering match-ups, but those are their only opponents above .500. Sure, they'll face some hungry teams in the mix (Pacers twice, New Jersey, NY and then us of course!), but their final stretch looks heavily in their favor. No West teams!

Flipping to our remaining schedule - it's not so promising! The majority of our games are away, 7 of our final 12 match-ups are against teams above .500 including the Lakers, Celtics and Magic! I'm not giving up though; we're still in this thing!

These final 12 games will be a true test for us and it will say much about our team's character and poise going into next year. Even if Chicago ends up locking the final spot, I think it's important we give them a balls-to-the-wall run for their money and keep things very close when it's all said and done. I believe if we fold now it will not so much "haunt" us next year, but it will bruise us and impact how well we do next year (just my opinion).

_____

Milwaukee's schedule looks a bit tough. I think Scott Skiles is one of the league's more underrated coaches, so it wouldn't shock the hell out of me to see the Bucks finish ahead of the 'Cats when the curtain falls, but I don't see that happening!

New Jersey is in the mix too; a good mix of home & away games, but they're playing too many powerhouse teams to keep them in the hunt.

Realistically, where do you guys see this thing landing once all 82 games are complete?
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
BeebCats
Serious playground baller

BeebCats has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Bulls beat Wizards last night... Bobcats up to bat

I'm a big optimist and have always thought we'd pull it out, but I'm not so sure anymore. With the two blown losses vs minnesota and indiana, I got kind of down. Plus, the bulls are playing well on top of that -- they beat the celtics (granted, they were injured) and played the lakers really close. My prediction will be Chicago in 8th, 'Cats in 9th, Bucks in 10th, as much as I hate saying that.

But like you, that doesn't mean I've given up. We just have to play hard and not take ANY nights off!
BeebCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

Quote:
Even if Chicago ends up locking the final spot, I think it's important we give them a balls-to-the-wall run for their money and keep things very close when it's all said and done. I believe if we fold now it will not so much "haunt" us next year, but it will bruise us and impact how well we do next year (just my opinion).

This team has never done that, even when there was nothing but pride on the line. We've actually hurt our draft position by winning games at the end of the season in years' past.

Realistically I'm probably with Beeb...but my heart is saying something will break our way.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
This team has never done that, even when there was nothing but pride on the line. We've actually hurt our draft position by winning games at the end of the season in years' past.

Realistically I'm probably with Beeb...but my heart is saying something will break our way.

I'm not one for saying "hey, tank the season so we can draft high!" ... you play to win at any point in the season. You play your best, and if you don't make the playoffs, at least you can think back and say we give it our damndest effort.

Besides... it doesn't matter what pick(s) we get, we're going to waste it (them).

Old 03-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm pretty much with you guys on this. If we end up 9th just barely out, Bob Johnson should be publicly flogged for scheduling that stupid horse show every April.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

Forgetting we also have a head to head matchup with Chicago left.

Ill predict the winner of that game gets the 8th seed.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpooty
Forgetting we also have a head to head matchup with Chicago left.

Ill predict the winner of that game gets the 8th seed.

Maybe by that time Chicago will have already locked the seed. Hopefully not! It would be amazing to see it come down to that game though! I think it's their second to last game of the year?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I wonder if this has been a lingering problem for Mek the last few games. From Bonnell's blog:

March 24, 2009

Okafor probable with sore knee

Center Emeka Okafor sat out practice Tuesday with a sore left knee, but I doubt that's a concern for Wednesday's game in Washington. The Bobcats are listing him as probable for the Wizards game, so I think him missing practice was more preventative than a big deal.
One other tidbit from practice: Coach Larry Brown was asked about Boris Diaw's passing creativity and how that sometimes leads to turnovers. I liked Brown's analogy:
"It's like Forrest Gump and the box of chocolates -- you never know what you'll get,'' Brown said of Diaw's daring passes. "He sees things nobody else sees. I can live with that.''
That describes Diaw, but it also touches on Brown's view of turnovers. He hates careless, mid-court turnovers that lead to easy baskets for the opponent. But he doesn't fault players with the vision and skill to attempt great passes.
Turnovers are like double-faults in tennis: You'd prefer not to have them, but some are worse -- and worse-timed -- than others.
Posted by Observer Sports on March 24, 2009 at 03:12 PM | Permalink
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

TarHeelBorn has an OK reputation so far

I'm starting to think I'd rather us finish 9th this year and get a solid talent in the draft at the 2/3 spot b/c there are some quality young players that will be available in the early teens at those positions. Add that depth and we will easily be 5th or 6th in the East next season and we won't have to worry about the schedule at the end of the season or playing Cleveland in the 1st round...
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

Not me. It the playoffs now, because either way we get our first round pick this year. Id rather make the playoffs than move up a couple spots in the draft.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

What's it matter whether or not we finish 8th or 9th? The draft pick will be in the same area.

Let's get to the playoffs, boost the city's morale/fan base, get a decent kid in the draft and do it all again next year.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #12
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelBorn
I'm starting to think I'd rather us finish 9th this year and get a solid talent in the draft at the 2/3 spot b/c there are some quality young players that will be available in the early teens at those positions. Add that depth and we will easily be 5th or 6th in the East next season and we won't have to worry about the schedule at the end of the season or playing Cleveland in the 1st round...

liverpooty and Timmeh are right, at this point in the season it's about making the playoffs first and foremost. The NBA draft is a "lottery" system, nonetheless, so that makes it that much more pointless to tank or prefer finishing a spot or two lower.

At a minimum we'd get two home playoff games despite who we face in the first round. There's a solid chance the Cavs (who will more than likely finish 1st in the East) would sweep us, but at least we could say we made the playoffs!

BTW - Chicago beat Detroit last night.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: