Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
LSULakers
Can barely lace up my sneakers

LSULakers has an OK reputation so far
Default WHY Lakers need PJ Brown not Chris Webber

After watching the Lakers this season and seeing Drew go down it makes you wonder will we take a downward spiral to 7 or 8 in the west. If we get PJ Brown we will only become a much better team and make a very big push in the western conference playoffs. Let PJ come in and share time at the 5 with Kwame thus minimizing the amount of time and dumb mistakes Kwame can make on the floor (Imagine getting 6 to 9 rebounds every night out of them each)and at the same time help mentor Kwame (Name a solid veteran big man Kwame has played with in his career) I'll let you sit on that one for a minute. Keys to finishing the season strong and making it deep into the Western Conference Playoffs ARE

-GET BYNUM HEALTHY
-GET PJ BROWN (IMAGINE BYNUM,BROWN,ODOM,BRYANT,FISHER) IMAGINE HOW STRONG OUR BENCH BECOMES
-SEND COBY CARL TO D-LEAGUE OPEN UP A ROSTER SPOT
-STRENGTHEN THE BENCH WITH ANOTHER SOLID GUARD OR FORWARD BY TRADE DEADLINE
-AQUIRE A SHARPSHOOTER TO PLAY PERIMETER OF BENCH TO HELP BRYANT LATE IN GAMES

ANY THOUGHTS

Last edited by LSULakers : 01-16-2008 at 04:02 PM.
LSULakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

apeman222 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: WHY Lakers need PJ Brown not Chris Webber

thats an awful lot of moves for a team that rarely makes any...

as far as brown and webber go....they're both old, and are not going to "save" us from the bynum injury.....but im leaning toward webber....
apeman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'll tell you why now we need Chris Webber and not PJ Brown.

This team just lost Andrew Bynum, good defensive player but also a huge load of offense has just been lost for 8 weeks.

We need a player familiar with a high IQ that can get involved in this half court offense as well as make up some of the lost points. I also think Stat wise, webber was a better career rebounder than PJ brown.

Most importantly, Webber wants a comeback, PJ brown is not in a rush for a comeback as his agent said he's not thinking about it right now. He wants to rest a little bit and enjoy his time.

If Webber can get us about 8 points a game and Kwame can score 4-5 field goals, We'll be in good shape offensively.

Luckily for us Brown is a good defensive player, so not much will be asked from Webber on shutting down star forwards, although he can probably stick guys better than Odom can stick Duncan, all the bigger forwards.

I dont see why you would want to send Coby Karl down to the D-League when he is still considered on our roster spot, even if we sent him down we cannot replace him. His contract is now garunteed and would be a waste of money to just cut. Plus I like him

Imagine a lineup of

Bynum - Webber - Odom - Kobe - Fisher

We already have vladimir and sasha as our sharpshooters but they're injured and hopefully they can return soon along with mihm. Mihm is the only other shotblocker we have on this team and that is something we will miss from Bynum.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
netdoc
High School Varsity 6th Man

netdoc has an OK reputation so far

I keep reading and hearing that it will be Webber.

3 teams that he's choosing between:

Dallas - already has Juwan Howard - he'd see 0 playing time
Orlando - came out today and said they weren't interested
Lakers - the only one that has kept in contact with him since last year

Detroit said no as well.
netdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdoc
I keep reading and hearing that it will be Webber.

3 teams that he's choosing between:

Dallas - already has Juwan Howard - he'd see 0 playing time
Orlando - came out today and said they weren't interested
Lakers - the only one that has kept in contact with him since last year

Detroit said no as well.

What is your source?

He said he wasn't naming the teams.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

LSU you getting a little carried away lol.

Your first point is correct, get Drew healthy.

Next, either Webber or Brown will give us another big body to bang at center. Webber is more of a scorer and Brown is more of a rebounder/defender so it just depends on whether the Lakers want offense or defense out of that backup center.

You don't need to send Carl down to the Dleague because the Lakers alreday have an open roster spot after trading cook and evans to aquire Ariza. So PJ or Webber signing would fill that open 15th spot.

This is arguably the deepest bench in the league, they dont need any more depth at G or F they need a backup center, thus all the Webber talk. You already have Farmar/J-Critt/Sasha as guard depth and Ariza/Turiaf/Vlad/Carl at forward depth. The bench was tweaked with Ariza and thats all that is going to happen. Apeman is right, this team rarely makes a move at the trade deadline.

Every team is looking for an outside sharp shooter. They just are not going to be available at a reasonable price or available at all. Would you trade your if you had one? Most likey not. Besides there is this kid named Coby Carl that might be the best outside shooter on the team, he just hasn't had a chance to do it in games yet. Sasha has improved as a long range threat and J-Critt looks like he already has NBA 3 range. So the Lakers have options right on the bench.

This team doesn't need a makeover, it just needs a little tweak a la Webber/PJ/or simalar big to fill the backup center spot. There still is a remote possibility that Mihm might finally get healthy before the playoffs.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
OliverThizz
I airball my layups

OliverThizz has an OK reputation so far

I really can not see why anyone would want PJ Brown over Webber. People must be forgetting that Webber was capable of getting a triple double at anytime. He still put up close to a double double last year in limited minutes. He KNOWS how to play team basketball and work within the triangle, unlike Brown. Another key factor that people are sleeping on is the thing Webber has been knocked for his whole career; not wanting to take the big shots. That's great because with us he doesnt have to. He is an excellent passer out of the post, has good vision, can score, and will fit in our system well. Besides, PJ Brown doesnt even wanna play for the Lakers:

"With Bynum out, the Lakers are in the market for another big man. Veteran P. J. Brown, a 6-foot-11 veteran who played for the Bulls last season, fits the bill, but his representative said that for the time being, Brown is content being out of basketball and not trying to return. "I don't think it's something that he is looking to do," Mark Bartelstein said by phone. "There are a bunch of people inquiring about him, but there is nothing (in terms of his interest) right now." Riverside Press-Enterprise"
OliverThizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

great info Oliver!
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
LSULakers
Can barely lace up my sneakers

LSULakers has an OK reputation so far

My bad didnt know Pj didnt want to come back. The only knock against webber is his knees can they hold up pj is more of a blue collar pf that will get rebounds and can score 8-12 a game and not injury prone. I dont think its so much making over the team just a few minor tweaks with getting an extra guard and we need a foward/center right now.
LSULakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercrisoner is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercrisoner is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercrisoner is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercrisoner is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercrisoner is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercrisoner is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercrisoner is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercrisoner is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercrisoner is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercrisoner is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would prefer PJ as well. But the major thing we have to think about is who would be more ready to jump in and start playing at the NBA level right away.

C-Webb has been planning on coming back so I think he should be in better condition. So...I guess I have to lean towards C-Webb if thats the case.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: