Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 01-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation
Default B3's Mock Draft (January Edition)

I am now going to try and come out with a mock draft for every month of the regular season, and once it's over I will try and make one for every week coming up to the draft. For this one, I will be using ESPN.com's Power Rankings (http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/), from January 7, 2008. This will only be a first round mock, and I will not integrate the second round until the final weeks, if at all. I will try to be unbiased, and as always, I will enjoy your feedback and input on EACH AND EVERY PICK. I am still developing my late-first round skills, and obviously I will make some mistakes in that department.

If you have noticed any players that I have included in my mock draft that say they will stay in school/overseas, or some players that didn't show up in the mock that have hinted strongly or even admitted that they will enter the draft, please let me know for future references. Other than that, sit back and ENJOY!
  1. Minnesota Timberwolves- Michael Beasley, SF/PF, Kansas State ... Let it be known that I am not a fan of this pick. Michael Beasley's attitude is terrible, and I think he will end up being a nuisance in the league, and Minnesota will want to get rid of him in a few years, when they realize you can't win a championship with this kid's work ethic. However, I am making this pick because I feel Minnesota's management isn't smart enough to pass him up, and instead take a guy like Derrick Rose or DeAndre Jordan by trading down. I'm sure New York would like to jump up and take Beasley. Still, I don't think Minnesota would be smart enough to do even that. I believe that Beasley will come into this organization happy to be the first pick, but won't like the market he's playing in. He will realize that his team sucks, and he will want to be traded within seconds of getting drafted. Prove me wrong, Minnesota. Prove to me that you can make a smart decision, for the first time in your franchise since you drafted Kevin Garnett in 1995.
  2. New York Knicks- O.J. Mayo, PG/SG, USC ... Yes, I think New York will take the shot-chucker himself, O.J. Mayo. And it's a terrible move on their part. They will go into the draft thinking, man, we've got a shot at a guy who may be the best player in the draft. And even the New York fans will think that this is actually a good pick, so long as Starbury is traded/waived. This pick will come back to bite them, as Mayo will likely be just another Starbury, and soon Knicks fans will realize that he should be traded, too. But, it'll be too late. He will be handed a fresh new contract once his rookie one expires, and New York can go another 6-7 years pondering why they liked the pick in the first place. Derrick Rose would be a better option here, but they're not smart enough to make that pick. Prove me wrong, New York. Or else you'll be stuck with Minnesota in the lower echelon of the league for a long time.
  3. Miami Heat- DeAndre Jordan, C, Texas A&M ... For the first time in the draft, an NBA franchise has made a quality selection. And it's hard for them to go wrong here, since Derrick Rose is also on the board. My reasoning here is that Shaq is getting old, and they need to find a replacement, as much as you Miami fans like to deny it. Heck, one person on this board (Miami fan) even suggested trading Shaq to Memphis for Mike Miller, Stro, and about 5 other guys. Haha, and the trade worked, just showing the value of O'Neal's contract in the form of an old, piss-poor player. Jordan will get some time to develop behind Shaq, and can become the sidekick to Wade in the future. He is a big guy, and a threat down low, yet is athletic enough to compete with the new age centers, as well. Remember how Wade did when he had a quality big man down low? Yeah, he won an NBA Championship. He has another chance to do the same with Jordan.
  4. Los Angeles Clippers- Derrick Rose, PG, Memphis ... Maybe there's a shot at Shaun Livingston becoming a quality NBA point guard, but with Derrick Rose, they've got a guarantee. Rose is big, athletic, and could become a shutdown defender in the league. If he would just develop a shot, he could jump into the first tier of NBA superstars. L.A. can feel excited about the future once again, and they have two other young pieces to build upon; mammoth center Chris Kaman, and developing scorer Al Thornton at small forward. They could consider re-signing Brand, and maybe make a run in a couple years. Or, they could just let him go this offseason and save cap space for a future star. Either way, the future looks very good for the Clippers.
  5. Seattle Supersonics- Jerryd Bayless, PG, Arizona ... Eric Gordon may be a better player, but Kevin Durant is going to need a quality point guard who can take his man off the dribble and score. Bayless is quick, athletic, and can shoot. I think he'll end up being the #3 option to K.D. They still need to find help at the two, and they will have to do that by signing one or drafting one in the future. Here, Bayless is too helpful to pass up, IMO. Every team needs a quality point guard, and we've seen the effects of teams with no help in that position.
  6. Charlotte Bobcats- Darrell Arthur, PF, Kansas ... Charlotte's only need worth addressing in the lottery is a big man to pair with Emeka Okafor. They may be reaching, but they get that here. Arthur can rebound, and has some athleticism, but he is still a raw prospect. I'm starting to think keeping Brandan Wright would have been the better option last year, because now they could be in the position to draft Eric Gordon of Indiana and round out the starting lineup. Instead, M.J. and crew decided they'd like to try and make the playoffs this year, and it hasn't been happening. Heck, I bet they trade this pick for a veteran as well, and still miss the playoffs because they finally realize they have no bench.
  7. Milwaukee Bucks- Donte Greene, SF, Syracuse ... I debated between putting Greene or Batum here. My case for Batum was that he's another international player, like Yi, and has a good shot at being a star in the future. Greene also has potential, however, and he's probably got a more realistic shot at at least being a contributer in the league. Greene is tall, can shoot, and has an already developed skillset. He needs to work on ballhandling, but he could realistically become a consistent 18-20 ppg scorer in the future, and will help with rebounding a bit. He combines with Yi and Bogut to form a pretty intriguing frontcourt, and with Redd and Williams in the backcourt, this Bucks team looks like it could compete in the future. If they get Zach Randolph, however, then their franchise will be in shambles for the future.
  8. Memphis Grizzlies- Eric Gordon, SG, Indiana ... Memphis doesn't have a starting-caliber shooting guard yet. Juan Carlos Navarro, Mike Miller, and Rudy Gay are all good perimeter players, but Rudy is the only one worth being a full-time starter. They can put Gordon at the 2, and he will develop into a starter in the next couple of years, forming a formidable duo with Gay. They could still use a big man next to Gasol, or possibly even a replacement for Gasol, but Gordon is too much of a talent to pass up here.
  9. Sacramento Kings- Danilo Gallinari, SF, Italy ... Gallinari has a bunch of potential, even though he isn't the quickest of players. Brook Lopez could go here, but he has nowhere near the potential of Gallinari. Gallinari could become a deadly shooter, and next to Kevin Martin that's a plus. This still leaves Sacramento with a gaping hole at PF, but they'll just have to wait a while longer to find help at that position.
  10. Philadelphia 76ers- Nicolas Batum, SG/SF, France ... Philadelphia has more of a need for a PF, but Batum has a lot of potential, and could be a great sidekick to Iggy. Heck, Iggy could end up being the sidekick to him. Batum is another developmental project, just like Thaddeus Young was last year, but if Philly's young guys pan out, they could have a very talented team, especially on the perimeter.
  11. Indiana Pacers- Roy Hibbert, C, Georgetown ... Hibbert and Diogu is a very intriguing duo, and that was a key contributor to my decision in putting him here. David Harrison may soon be gone, so Hibbert could at least step in and be a backup for the future. He and Diogu could own the boards in the future.
  12. Phoenix Suns (ATL)- Brook Lopez, PF/C, Stanford ... Lopez is a big, strong post player that will really help Phoenix with rebounding, and he is an effective scorer down low, as well. His jump shot is very good for a big man his size, and he could end up being a great counterpart next to Amare Stoudemire. I could see him being a 10 rebound guy, along with maybe 10 points a game. He would really help the Suns.
  13. Chicago Bulls- Darren Collison, PG, UCLA ... Chicago looks like they will be making a trade pretty soon, and I have a feeling that it will involve current PG Kirk Hinrich. Chris Duhon will likely not be a starter of the future, and they will need a replacement. Collison is an experienced guard, and will help a lot on defense.
  14. Houston Rockets- Chase Budinger, SG/SF, Arizona ... Houston is looking to trade T-Mac, so they will need another guy on the perimeter that can give them points. Budinger can do that, and at pick 14, he's a value pick. I could see him averaging 15-16 points consistently for Houston in the future.
  15. Utah Jazz- D.J. Augustin, PG, Texas
  16. Toronto Raptors- Hasheem Thabeet, C, Connecticut
  17. Cleveland Cavaliers- Kevin Love, PF, UCLA
  18. New Jersey Nets- Andrew Ogilvy, C, Vanderbilt
  19. Golden State Warriors- Tyler Smith, SF, Tennessee
  20. Washington Wizards- Devon Hardin, PF, California
  21. Orlando Magic- Richard Hendrix, PF, Alabama
  22. Denver Nuggets- Davon Jefferson, SF/PF, USC
  23. Dallas Mavericks- Jason Thompson, PF, Rider
  24. Seattle Supersonics (PHX)- Brandon Rush, SG/SF, Kansas
  25. Portland Trailblazers- Serge Ibaka, PF, Congo
  26. New Orleans Hornets- D.J. White, PF, Indiana
  27. Los Angeles Lakers- Kyle Weaver, PG/SG, Washington State
  28. San Antonio Spurs- Trent Plaisted, PF/C, BYU
  29. Detroit Pistons- Joey Dorsey, PF/C, Memphis
  30. Boston Celtics- Bryce Taylor, SG, Oregon

Last edited by The Big Three : 01-12-2008 at 08:21 PM.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: B3's Mock Draft (January Edition)

Gordon and Budinger will be better ranked...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
PFF
Can barely lace up my sneakers

PFF has an OK reputation so far

Nice mock, but I have a few things to point out:

I think that Memphis will take a big man, and I don't think Gordon will still be available by their pick. His stock is rising faster than anyone.
I think that Beasley is going to be a Carmelo-like pro. Questionable attitude? Yes. Questionable work ethic? No. I read that SI article on him and I get the impression he's going to work very hard. I see a lot of Carmelo Anthony in him. Sure, he's not the greatest guy, but he has so much talent and skill. I don't think it's a bad pick for Minny, although they'd be better off with a center - but Deandre Jordan is not really a #1 draft pick. So therefore Beasley is the best choice.
I agree with your statement about Mayo, if the Knicks take him they will go back a few years. Hopefully, for their own well being they don't end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick.
I would switch 6 and 7 because Green looks to be a better player, but with MJ you never know.
I don't like Philly's pick, no way they take another wing. I think they will grab Hibbert, although I'd love him to slip to the Pacers.
I can't believe Budinger fell so low, he's a top 10 pick for sure. He's a mixture of Ray Allen and JR Smith (without the attitude). I know it's early to tell, but Chase will not slip that much.
I can't imagine Love slipping that much either, but it's a nice pick for Cleveland if he does, although they'd be better off with a point.
I love the Phoenix pick, that's a great one.
PFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
ReggieMiller31
I airball my layups

ReggieMiller31 has an OK reputation so far

No way the Pacers pass on Bundinger. Or draft a big in the lottery if the current team is intact.
ReggieMiller31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMiller31
No way the Pacers pass on Bundinger. Or draft a big in the lottery if the current team is intact.

They don't need Bud, they have the same player in Dunleavy.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
PFF
Can barely lace up my sneakers

PFF has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMiller31
I hope your joking. Hibbert could someday have the same impact on a team that Yao Ming does. I doubt he slips to us, but if he did, we'd have to take him, we need a center, and Hibbert has a lot of potential
PFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

My beef with Hibbert is that he's not going to be quick enough to start every game in his career. He will face big mismatches when he goes up against guys like Amare and Dwight Howard. Having him come off the bench defending a lesser player from the opposing team would probably help mask his lack of quickness and athleticism.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
donsanchez306
High School Varsity 12th Man

donsanchez306 has an OK reputation so far

philly has two first rounders now ? korver trade right which one is it protected knicks pick or utahs own?
donsanchez306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsanchez306
philly has two first rounders now ? korver trade right which one is it protected knicks pick or utahs own?
I think it was the Knicks, and I also think that's a year or so down the line.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
donsanchez306
High School Varsity 12th Man

donsanchez306 has an OK reputation so far

somone answered that one weeeeeeeeeeee! (about the draft pick of philly) next year hmmm whatever its the knicks. i'm not sold on this batum kid to early for me to figure out who i want.
donsanchez306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #11
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFF
Nice mock, but I have a few things to point out:

I think that Memphis will take a big man, and I don't think Gordon will still be available by their pick. His stock is rising faster than anyone.
I think that Beasley is going to be a Carmelo-like pro. Questionable attitude? Yes. Questionable work ethic? No. I read that SI article on him and I get the impression he's going to work very hard. I see a lot of Carmelo Anthony in him. Sure, he's not the greatest guy, but he has so much talent and skill. I don't think it's a bad pick for Minny, although they'd be better off with a center - but Deandre Jordan is not really a #1 draft pick. So therefore Beasley is the best choice.
I agree with your statement about Mayo, if the Knicks take him they will go back a few years. Hopefully, for their own well being they don't end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick.
I would switch 6 and 7 because Green looks to be a better player, but with MJ you never know.
I don't like Philly's pick, no way they take another wing. I think they will grab Hibbert, although I'd love him to slip to the Pacers.
I can't believe Budinger fell so low, he's a top 10 pick for sure. He's a mixture of Ray Allen and JR Smith (without the attitude). I know it's early to tell, but Chase will not slip that much.
I can't imagine Love slipping that much either, but it's a nice pick for Cleveland if he does, although they'd be better off with a point.
I love the Phoenix pick, that's a great one.

Hibbert's too slow to be a factor for the Sixers. If they don't want any quickness in their pick, they'd be better off with Brook Lopez. He at least has potential.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #12
ReggieMiller31
I airball my layups

ReggieMiller31 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFF
I hope your joking. Hibbert could someday have the same impact on a team that Yao Ming does. I doubt he slips to us, but if he did, we'd have to take him, we need a center, and Hibbert has a lot of potential

You're obviously much higher on him than I am. I don't see him ever being better than a Dalembert type. Not sure how much longer O'Brien's in Indy, but it'd be painful to watch Hibbert trying to keep up with the offense.

Budinger is similar to Dunleavy, but a Tinsley/Budinger/Dunleavy/Granger/JO line-up would be fun to watch in this style.
ReggieMiller31 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: