Page 64 of 153 FirstFirst ... 14546162636465666774114 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Default Re: Illinois Fan Thread.

Probably better than any other 12-17 team in the country, which is still pretty slim odds. We've hung around and had chances to beat every team in the conference this year, and we've finally won a close game in conference play, so it wouldn't totally stun me if we made a run. Partially? Yes, but not totally.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Word is Weber is looking at 6'7" Juco forward Domnique Keller. This guy has been lighting it up lately, dropping 30 when Jerrance went to see him and 36 when Weber made the trip. From what I've read, it sounds like he could really help us next year add some bulk and scoring to the forward spot.

If he can play, terrific, but I'm always wary of juco guys. I'm just hoping for a marked improvement next year from the 6'7" juco forward we already have.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    If he can play, terrific, but I'm always wary of juco guys. I'm just hoping for a marked improvement next year from the 6'7" juco forward we already have.
    I hear you, but this guy is averaging twice what Alexander was in his juco days. The only thing I haven't heard much about is his defense, and if he can't play D, he won't play much under Weber.

It's hard to know how much stock to put into juco scoring averages. It's not exactly the land of lockdown defense.

Looking at his stats, he is averaging about 25 a game and with 46 treys in 26 games, sounds like he can go inside and out. Plus, he shoots 55% from the FT line, so he'd fit right in.
    Last edited by TheGame414; 03-05-2008 at 06:48 PM.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

55% from FT? Yikes! I'm done with poor free throw shooting. I rather the team shoot 35% and 80% fromt he line than 50% and 50% from the line

I think we'll be better from the line next year, especially if Legion and Jamar attack the basket. Tisdale and McCamey don't shoot good percentages right now, but I think they'll both be better next year as they get to the line more regularly.

So I think our top four scorers next year could all be 70 percent-plus from the line.

If we bring this juco dude in, I'd ask for nothing more than for him to be our version of MSU's Marquise Gray. We need rebounding next year. Perimeter scoring will turn from a weakness to a big strength, but rebounding looks like it's going to go from a strength to a weakness.

If we were a really good team that only had FT woes, like Memphis, that'd be one thing. But I don't think we're in a position to turn down a guy who fills a need because he isn't a good FT shooter.

I think it wouldn't be the worst thing the world to turn him down if the alternative was to give Meacham the scholarship.

NBA Superstar

If you win tonight MSU should forfeit their place in the tournament. I don't care if it's tough to play there or not. If you lose on the road to Iowa, PSU and Illinois this season...you should be barred from post season play.

Typical loss.

We still own Minnesota.

Yeah, they always seem to get up for Minnesota and play well.

On another note, Keller has commited so lets hope he can contribute next season, and give us some production from the forward spot.

WHOOOOO we won a close game!

Wow...Penn State is really tough this year..even without their 2 best players.

NBA Superstar

Purdue is the best possible matchup for you. Still big underdogs, but if you guys play at your best, you can easily upset Purdue if they're off a bit.

Not gonna happen probably though because you guys will go 4-10 at the ft line down the stretch.