Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Tip the cook, not the server

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I know, but I feel servers should get paid a little more than people in retail customer service. My wife works retail, I konw how it goes there. They're underpaid as well as far as that goes. But there are tons of jobs like this.
    I agree, and think that they are all underpaid. But selectively tipping just one group of the workers that are underpaid isn't going to solve shit, which is why I just save my money and don't tip anybody, waiters included.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    they still by law get paid minimum wage regardless, which is no less nor more than the same people who help you at retail stores and in other similar customer service areas.

this whole "if you don't tip then they don't make any money" logic being passed around is such a crock of shit.
    Except you're 100% wrong.

An employer with tipped employees is only responsible for $2.13 per hour of work, however that money + tips must equal minimum wage to be considered legal. So they make minimum wage afters tips, but keep pretending like you know what you're talking about. Learn the law before you quote it.

I agree, and think that they are all underpaid. But selectively tipping just one group of the workers that are underpaid isn't going to solve shit.
    I tip hot waitresses more than ug-mos. Is that ok?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Except you're 100% wrong.

An employer with tipped employees is only responsible for $2.13 per hour of work, however that money + tips must equal minimum wage to be considered legal. So they make minimum wage afters tips, but keep pretending like you know what you're talking about. Learn the law before you quote it.
    I hope you are trolling and not actually this dumb.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS
    I tip hot waitresses more than ug-mos. Is that ok?
    If you like falling prey to manipulation, then sure, it's ok.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

I hope you are trolling and not actually this dumb.
    I say this to myself everytime I see you post.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    I say this to myself everytime I see you post.

If waiters don't make minimum wage in tips, their employer covers whatever is needed to make it minimum wage. This is federal law and if employers try to evade this they can and will get railed hard by the government.

So if nobody tipped at all, they'd still make minimum wage. So at WORST, waiters make minimum wage, and usually quite a bit more.

At BEST, retail employees usually make minimum wage and if they are lucky enough to get raises it's usually only something complete shit like 15 cents a year. Yet nobody tips retail employees, but god forbid you don't tip waiters and don't get called an asshole for it...

Fukking lol @ you having no knowledge of the law and telling me to "learn the law" though

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    at some restaurants the cooks do get tipped out. obviously this kind of thing varies from place to place
    That's extraordinarily rare/doesn't exist.

If waiters don't make minimum wage in tips, their employer covers whatever is needed to make it minimum wage. This is federal law and if employers try to evade this they can and will get railed hard by the government.

So if nobody tipped at all, they'd still make minimum wage. So at WORST, waiters make minimum wage, and usually quite a bit more.

At BEST, retail employees usually make minimum wage and if they are lucky enough to get raises it's usually only something complete shit like 15 cents a year. Yet nobody tips retail employees, but god forbid you don't tip waiters and don't get called an asshole for it...

Fukking lol @ you having no knowledge of the law and telling me to "learn the law" though
    It's not as simple as that.

NBA lottery pick

Why you gotta be so cheap bruh, it's American culture. Just do it. It's only a couple bucks

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    Why you gotta be so cheap bruh, it's American culture. Just do it. It's only a couple bucks
    So you only tip because it's "culture" and not because you truly care. Otherwise you would tip retail employees who help you as well.

I'm not going to just throw away money just to meet the criteria for a mindless social norm.

NBA lottery pick

So you only tip because it's "culture" and not because you truly care. Otherwise you would tip retail employees who help you as well.

I'm not going to just throw away money just to meet the criteria for a mindless social norm.
    Yeah that is the only reason I tip. I tip servers, bartenders, valets, delivery drivers, and the guy who hands me napkins at the club.

They make like 5 bucks an hour cause they expect to make tips. Retail workers make more

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    Yeah that is the only reason I tip. I tip servers, bartenders, valets, delivery drivers, and the guy who hands me napkins at the club.

They make like 5 bucks an hour cause they expect to make tips. Retail workers make more
    You cannot be this dumb

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

they still by law get paid minimum wage regardless, which is no less nor more than the same people who help you at retail stores and in other similar customer service areas.

this whole "if you don't tip then they don't make any money" logic being passed around is such a crock of shit.
    You'd have an argument if people at retail stores were only paid half of their wage from their company and tipped the rest at sale. But, that's not how it works for retail employees.

It's also not even close to the same. A service staff at a restaurant requires far more employees per customer than a retail store.

Oh and by the way, when a restaurant has to pay out an employee because they didn't make minimum wage with tips, that money doesn't just pop out of thin air. If enough customers didn't tip and the restaurant had to pay out each server every night, they'd place a mandatory 15%+ service charge on your bill. I understand you're a kid and the concept of free money still exists, but at some point you're going to have to grow up and learn the real world.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I need to start storing my responses to these threads in a text file or something.
    Right. 'cause it needs to be said in every one of these threads that your mom worked as a waitress, and that's why you tip well. I left out all the colorful memories you usually add for the emotional appeal. My bad.