Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

Default How does music relate to learning/teaching?? (reps)

Im in some gay @ss education class at the CC and we need to bring an object in to share that relates to teaching and learning.

Im gonna bring in my mpc.

Anyways, im having trouble in finding a reason that playing music can relate to learning and teaching?

Obviously, if you teach someone how to play in instrument it will also help your overall teaching abilities because it would just be like more 'practice' teaching or whatever.

Any ideas???
lukeridnour08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Default Re: How does music relate to learning/teaching?? (reps)

Music can be used as a tool, in the same way visuals can.

For example.... just think back to when you were in your early school years (pre-school- 6th grade), remember how songs were used to teach you about numbers, letter, etc.etc.?

Music can engage a student to pay extra attention and retain information, melodies and harmonies are aids to memorize, think of it as 'commercial' jingles. We all remember some commercial jingle, applied properly music can help students memorize shit.

Music is also very mathematical, and one can use music or an instrument to aid with math. Actually, if you major in music some colleges require a good amount of math courses (which is why I didn't major in music engineering ). For the youngins, a piano can be used to teach them how to count, and for older students formulas on how to obtain length of sound waves or other cr@p.

There's other relatable ways in which music aids learning/teaching, hopefully this sparks some ideas.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

Wow thanks alot man^^^

I really appreciate it.

Anyone else wanna chime in before i head off to class in like 30 minutes??
lukeridnour08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

I dunno if you know but a while back they did a text where they played Mozart piano concert to people and had them take a test, and the ones that listened to the mozart stuff did considerably better. Music stimulates your brain in a lot of ways allowing for clearer and preciser thinking.

Check it out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart_effect
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeridnour08
Wow thanks alot man^^^

I really appreciate it.

Anyone else wanna chime in before i head off to class in like 30 minutes??

No prob... quick suggestion.

Since you have your MPC you can use it to trigger sounds as a hearing aid, and explain that this can help younger children or those with disabilities. For the older students, the metronome, sequencing and other aspects that require mathematical skills can be used as a tool. Hell... just using it as a visual aid for young students is enough.

You introduce it to the lil ones to teach them about shapes (its a square), colors (its black), numbers (it has x number amount of pads).

Hell.... you can even use it to teach older advanced students on the technology behind the Mp. It uses technology such as MIDI to send messages to the computer. The computer can read which keys are pressed and then translate them and vice versa. You can even show them how music is made, this'll really get everybody's attention. Walk them through a basic sampling and beat making tutorial (keep it simple and quick) and show them the basic ideas of how it works there's different things you can do.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
falc39
Local High School Star

As someone who has played the piano at a young age (classicaly trained), I can definitely tell how the musical training has given me an advantage and helped me throughout my life.

One obvious thing I noticed early was my ability to focus longer and harder. When I was like 8 years old, I was already getting used to practicing many hours. It was not uncommon to get 5-6 hours of practice a day at times. I realized that helped me a lot when I noticed my peers at school couldn't concentrate that long and just had a short attention span in general. For some of them it got worse even into high school and college. I didn't have those problems and I've developed a very good work ethic throughout the years. This work ethic helped me a lot in sports, school, etc. and it was all because I built good work/training habits through my music training when I was young.

I also use concepts that I learn about in music to learn other things in life. I used to be a horrible public speaker. I actually was able to use my music training to dramatically improve my public speaking skills.

Playing music was very challenging when I was young and continues to be a challenge as I am older. There are so many things going on when you are playing music.. so many muscles and areas of the brain firing off. It can only get more beneficial to do as you get older.

Playing music with a group of people teaches discipline and teamwork.

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure I can think of many other things if I spend a little more time on it.
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by falc39
As someone who has played the piano at a young age (classicaly trained), I can definitely tell how the musical training has given me an advantage and helped me throughout my life.

One obvious thing I noticed early was my ability to focus longer and harder. When I was like 8 years old, I was already getting used to practicing many hours. It was not uncommon to get 5-6 hours of practice a day at times. I realized that helped me a lot when I noticed my peers at school couldn't concentrate that long and just had a short attention span in general. For some of them it got worse even into high school and college. I didn't have those problems and I've developed a very good work ethic throughout the years. This work ethic helped me a lot in sports, school, etc. and it was all because I built good work/training habits through my music training when I was young.

I also use concepts that I learn about in music to learn other things in life. I used to be a horrible public speaker. I actually was able to use my music training to dramatically improve my public speaking skills.

Playing music was very challenging when I was young and continues to be a challenge as I am older. There are so many things going on when you are playing music.. so many muscles and areas of the brain firing off. It can only get more beneficial to do as you get older.

Playing music with a group of people teaches discipline and teamwork.

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure I can think of many other things if I spend a little more time on it.

Great post.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Music can be used as a tool, in the same way visuals can.

For example.... just think back to when you were in your early school years (pre-school- 6th grade), remember how songs were used to teach you about numbers, letter, etc.etc.?

Music can engage a student to pay extra attention and retain information, melodies and harmonies are aids to memorize, think of it as 'commercial' jingles. We all remember some commercial jingle, applied properly music can help students memorize shit.

Music is also very mathematical, and one can use music or an instrument to aid with math. Actually, if you major in music some colleges require a good amount of math courses (which is why I didn't major in music engineering ). For the youngins, a piano can be used to teach them how to count, and for older students formulas on how to obtain length of sound waves or other cr@p.

There's other relatable ways in which music aids learning/teaching, hopefully this sparks some ideas.
The song Lateralus by Tool uses the Fibonacci sequence, this video explains it pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
The song Lateralus by Tool uses the Fibonacci sequence, this video explains it pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY
Good shit!

My cousin is a huge Tool stan and he was telling me about this, but I didn't really understand it.

Great vid and even tho I didn't fully understand it 100%, I got the gist of it all.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Good shit!

My cousin is a huge Tool stan and he was telling me about this, but I didn't really understand it.

Great vid and even tho I didn't fully understand it 100%, I got the gist of it all.
Yeah man, if you got the album, play the songs in a Fibonacci sequence they actually flow better than playing them in order.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: