Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
bigbirdballer
I airball my layups

Default all guards no bigs

does anyone know y detroit drafted three guards when we already have a pretty solid backcourt. i think they should of went with at least one big
bigbirdballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
purplehaze
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Re: all guards no bigs

i agree we should have drafted a big, but now we have 3 solid future backcourt prospects which means we won't have to draft there for the next couple years.
drafting a big makes sense because it generally takes them longer to adjust and build up muscle when coming to the association.
purplehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
dd24
College superstar

Detroit lacked depth in all areas. If we look into the reasons they have lost in the playoffs it was a team that was completely burned out twice. The back court played terrible against Cleveland. Hunter isn't going to be around forever. We will be lucky to get another season out of him. At least with the front line there was Mcdyess to come off the bench. Also we have Maxiell who has been a pleasant suprise. We didn't have anything like that at the gaurd positions with the exception of a couple of game Murray stepped up, but that doesn't make up for all the other times he didn't. I would expect they draft another big man next year. It looks like they just signed Chieck Samb too so that is another big man under contract although he will be in the DL for at least the next year.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Rasheed Wallace
Antonio McDyess
Jason Maxiell
Nazr Mohammed
Amir Johnson

These are the Pistons vying for minutes in the two 'big' positions - center and power forward. We still don't know about Chris Webber, who could potentially start at center again. Dale Davis likely won't be re-signed and Samb won't get many minutes behind this lineup, but that still leaves 5-6 players in a combined 96 minutes per game. Wallace will get 30, McDyess will get 25, and Maxiell will probably get 20. Mohammed or Webber will get 20. That's all the minutes that we have. Where's Johnson's minutes?

What would you have done differently? Drafted Glen Davis? Or perhaps Tiago Splitter? Or another project player that would get the Darko treatment?

I could agree about Splitter - I think if we're looking for prospects, he's the one we should have snagged and let him develop in Europe. We don't need anyone else right now to be good enough to challenge in the East. We don't need bodies to throw at Shaq like we did before.

There was a relatively weak free agent class to improve our frontcourt anyways. I'm interested in what you would have done differently.
Patrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick27
There was a relatively weak free agent class to improve our frontcourt anyways. I'm interested in what you would have done differently.

Agreed. There are a lot of teams that are looking for big men and there weren't (and still aren't) too many to choose from. The only way to get a solid big man right now is to try and get into the KG or JO sweepstakes which we don't have anybody to trade for them and we don't really need them since we have Rasheed. We need a center who can play D but so do about 25 other teams in the league. Samb will be in the D league. The only people who have salaries that are up there enough to make a trade for someone decent are Chauncey, Rip, & Rasheed. You can't just trade Mohommad for another big man, nobody will go for that. We might be able to package him but then people will probably want Maxiell + Rip. I think we just have to wait another season. Does anyone have a list of who will be free agents in 08?
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:37 AM   #6
final.wrath
Banned

We're stacked at the bigs. How can you complain about Joe D drafting all guards? besides the guys he got we're quality. Stuckey is for real and Amir Johnson, Maxiell, Afflalo, and maybe even Mejia will form a nice youth core for Detroit.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: