Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Hamburger Helper is a disgrace of a product....

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    I know. A friend of mine's a cook and his chef wasn't much older than him. It's just that OP's got so many holes in his made up lifestory.

Pretty obvious you're no cook and never been a chef. You simply don't thicken with flour. If you don't want any taste you take corn starch, for tasteful sauces use cream, creme freche, sour creme, butter, chopped onions, mustard, whatever, but no flour.

Flour leaves a distinctive bitter taste you just don't want in your sauce. Housewives use this method.

Who are you that is so wise in the culinary arts? Perhaps you should contribute to this thread http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=153783

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

I dont think anyone walks around saying hamburger helper is quality food. usually, its eaten by kids which pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

Learning to shoot layups

I know. A friend of mine's a cook and his chef wasn't much older than him. It's just that OP's got so many holes in his made up lifestory.

Pretty obvious you're no cook and never been a chef. You simply don't thicken with flour. If you don't want any taste you take corn starch, for tasteful sauces use cream, creme freche, sour creme, butter, chopped onions, mustard, whatever, but no flour.

Flour leaves a distinctive bitter taste you just don't want in your sauce. Housewives use this method.
    There are some times you should use flour in a sauce, but this involves making a roux, which is nothing like what OP described.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Who are you that is so wise in the culinary arts? Perhaps you should contribute to this thread http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=153783
    As said. A friend is a cook, and in contrast to the OP I used to cook for myself a lot. Pretty much got fed of it and ran out of ideas after a while. Gonna check out your thread maybe it motivates me.

Quote Originally Posted by resin_baller
    There are some times you should use flour in a sauce, but this involves making a roux, which is nothing like what OP described.
    True, but I really don't like it and it's not a must do thing. In almost any case you can still use one of the alternatives.

Banned

Not a cream guy. While that is the preferred method for most people, I don't do it for nutritional reasons.

Just like how French cuisine uses a lot of butter, I tend not to go that route. I tend to ignore this train of thought. It is not good for your health.

If you properly read my post in context, you will know that I recommend the use of flour for homemade "Hamburger Helper" sauce.

Banned

Name a night and I will challenge you. We can make a thread.

Must take at least 10 pictures and post.

5 pictures of preparation and 5 pics of cooking and 1 final picture of finished product.

The most appetizing dish will win and the kids of ISH can vote.

Banned

I went out with a girl who was a chef in a michelin star restaurant when she was 21.

Anyway I had no clue what hamburger helper was, I'd previously heard it on cops and my name is earl I think. I always thought it was for making hamburgers.
    Does it actually come with meat and stuff pre made or what? If it's horrible and for convenience why don't people just eat microwave dinners if the convenience is the main part? I also thought the expensive part of a meal was the meat, so if you provide your own meat how is this much cheaper?

It's not really hard to cook, just follow recipes and don't leave shit unattended. Boring as hell for me but not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    I went out with a girl who was a chef in a michelin star restaurant when she was 21.

Anyway I had no clue what hamburger helper was, I'd previously heard it on cops and my name is earl I think. I always thought it was for making hamburgers.
    Does it actually come with meat and stuff pre made or what? If it's horrible and for convenience why don't people just eat microwave dinners if the convenience is the main part? I also thought the expensive part of a meal was the meat, so if you provide your own meat how is this much cheaper?

It's not really hard to cook, just follow recipes and don't leave shit unattended. Boring as hell for me but not hard.
    They don't come with meat and they taste better than microwaved shit.

Hamburger helper is so good.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Many people don't know that I was a chef for 4 years and I have experience preparing dishes from scratch. My skills are on the stove and oven.

Well, today, I decided to get Hamburger Helper and see what all the fuss was all about, mainly from friends.

It is the nastiest thing ever and for me to waste good meat and vegetables on that stupid meal in a box made me angry.

One bowl of that crap and I threw everything in the trash.

Should have made my homemade pizza.
    Chef Boyardee strikes back at hamburger helper.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    I see a lot of jealousy on here. Be jealous of me because of my good looks, basketball knowledge, my body or my girl but you guys are pretty pathetic for being jealous of me because I can cook. Really? because I can cook?

It is not very hard and everyone should know how to cook a good meal.
    Nobody is jealous of you.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    to OP