Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
code green
C's Fan since Dee

Default Who are your heroes/role models? And why?

I was doing a little bit of reading about Charles Barkley a couple of days ago and chuckled when I read his comment about him not wanting to be a role model for kids. So I sat back and thought of who my role models were growing up, and today and agree that I personally don't look to anyone I don't know as a role model. My first and only person i can think of would be my father. He grew up in war-torn Lebanon and fought for the Christian militia. He came to the US on asylum barely knowing the language, and sacrificed everything he had. Education, money, seeing his family....he came here and scrapped his way into a successful business, a home that paid all of its bills on time, and a family that can rely on him for anything. On top of that, his story serves as motivation...that if he could do it with everything against him, the rest of us could do anything.

IMO, people like that are the real heroes, not someone who gets paid to put a basketball into a circle.
code green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
chips93
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Who are your heroes/role models? And why?

i thought bill hicks was jesus for like 6 months

christopher mccandless, the guy from into the wild was a really intriging guy to me, even if there isnt much quotes from him.

definitely my dad too. hard working and smart, but humble.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

gotta go with my old man.

Grew up with no running water or electricity in a one room little cottage, came to america and lived the american dream. Worked his ass off for everything in life and sacrificed it all for his children. The man to this day rarely if ever does anything for himself.

I remember growing up my Dad used to always tell me if you go to X school or Y school i will bankrupt myself to help you get where you need to go. He helped all my siblings get through college and then some. His parents never went to school, couldn't read or write, and now his kids all have graduate degrees. I had a bunch of friends whose parents made them pay rent once they turned 18. I know i couldn't have gotten to where i am today without my dad.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
outbreak
Banned

Joe Strummer and the clash - had the guts to play the music they wanted and say the things they wanted to say even if it caused them to be labelled sell outs. Sandinista! is an amazing album.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
outbreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13

Grew up with no running water or electricity in a one room little cottage, came to america and lived the american dream. Worked his ass off for everything in life and sacrificed it all for his children. The man to this day rarely if ever does anything for himself.

I remember growing up my Dad used to always tell me if you go to X school or Y school i will bankrupt myself to help you get where you need to go. He helped all my siblings get through college and then some. His parents never went to school, couldn't read or write, and now his kids all have graduate degrees. I had a bunch of friends whose parents made them pay rent once they turned 18. I know i couldn't have gotten to where i am today without my dad.

Your Dad sounds like a great man. Growing up I never really got a long with my Dad that much and never appreciated all the things he did for me, since getting older though I've realised how much he did to help me and my sisters get to where we are in life now.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
chips93
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13

thats a great story

where i he from originally?
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Morris Day ... because he's so COOL.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #8
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star

Sir Thomas more - honor and integrity till the death

Mr Rogers - awesome Christian man who is friendly and generous to all, well dressed, trim, upstanding guy

Alciabades - rich Greek powerful orator warrior

Saladin - Muslim leader fearsome warrior merciful to his enemies

Feynman - favorite intellectual

Dolph and sly - action heroes

Freddie mercury and iggy pop and prince

Ray Allen and Emeka okafor

Thatcher and nightingale
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Ezio Auditore da Firenze
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: