Default Brandon Ingram is going to be a Superstar in the NBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFo78Vo51qY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmzxCHs6Nws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEMFWvyxJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB5-pxzQP-g

No Handchecking rules in the NBA. 6'8" with a 7'3" wingspan + 3 points shooter. Good luck guarding that shot in the NBA.

Default Re: Brandon Ingram is going to be a Superstar in the NBA

The next durant? I hope he pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by raprap
    The next durant? I hope he pans out.
    Not likely.

Simmons gets called a poor shooter and these guys are both shooting the same % from the free throw line.

Dude has a college game, and I don't see him being anything special in the NBA. What makes this guy a far and away better talent than someone like Otto Porter coming out of college?

Cali Love

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Not likely.

Simmons gets called a poor shooter and these guys are both shooting the same % from the free throw line.

Dude has a college game, and I don't see him being anything special in the NBA. What makes this guy a far and away better talent than someone like Otto Porter coming out of college?
    Otto Porter averaged 9.7 points in his freshman year

Ingram is averaging 17ppg

notsure if serious

Ingram is way better than Porter.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

OP, What is your thoughts on Jakob Poeltl?

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Even at number two, I'd still put him a fair tick behind Simmons. Sure the stroke looks better, and it's probably a better foundation to build from. But there is evidence that FT shooting translates more to NBA 3pt shooting than even college 3pt shooting does. And I'm a little worried he may fall between positions. His handle needs work, but he's got some quickness concerns regardless (it sounds weird, but I don't like the huge feet he seems to have, he looks like he's dragging them around). And the length is nice, but obviously strength is a concern. I personally don't think he can defend the NBA 3. And at the moment, he can't hold up against most NBA 4s. He will be able to make up for some of it with the length.
    Jabari Parker had some similar traits as a prospect. Caught between positions. A lot riding on the jumper. But he was physically a little better (although Ingram is probably a touch better athlete), and played C at Duke, so the notion he could hold up as a stretch four made more sense, and his jumper was more developed.

The upside is huge, if his jumper continues to build on that good foundation, if he gets stronger, and if his quickness improves, and if his handle develops, you get a top tier player. But that's a lot of ifs. There's a ton of decent middle ground. You might wind up with Ryan Anderson if the jumper goes and quickness doesn't. You might wind up with Harrison Barnes if things go a little better physically. I actually like Simmons' floor more than that, with something like a suped up Diaw as a floor. Just with the way the league is now, the playmaker from that position seems more valuable to me, and there's only the one if from greatness being the jumper.

The questions regarding the jumper are too much to slap Ingram with the Durant tag. Durant is an all time shooter, and even when I had concerns about him as a prospect because of strength, the length and elite shooting gave him a huge floor.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

I still think he's benefitted a lot from moving to the 4. It's one thing when WFs do that in college like Durant or Melo. I don't see how Ingram can play a similar position in the NBA. He's obviously way too skinny now and I don't particularly see the potential in his frame. Kind of narrow shoulders, no? For comparison, look at Giannis back when he was a 19 year old rookie and you can clearly see a frame to put on weight. To me, Ingram is a WG. Maybe I'm wrong here.

Now compare stats when he played the 3 versus the 4. It's a big difference. The question is if that's because he was still getting used to the college game or if it's because of the position. With most things, likely a bit of both.

Quickly did it. Hopefully no mistakes.

As a 3 (9 games): 13.6/4.4 on .453/.342/.638
    As a 4 (22 games): 17.9/8.1 on .441/.415/.729

Obviously the points and rebounds go up as he's asked to shoot rebound more. The rebounding is impressive, regardless, because he is thin. Shows good toughness and understated strength there. The shooting is about the same. More attempts = less FG %. That's fair. FT is up, but still 73% isn't exactly noteworthy. The 3 ball is the big one and that's where I wonder how much is it because he has college 4s on him? Now not every programs uses two bigs, but enough times he has a legit big man on him. I've seen it before where playing the 4 as the wing gives you an enormous advantage on the perimeter, leading to misleading stats.

Also should probably point out he's been struggling down the stretch. Last 6 games he's shooting 30% from the field. I do think he's a shooter, though there's something about him being a 69% FT shooter that confuses me a little. Perhaps a season anomaly or maybe he's like JR Smith. 40% from 3 is decent. College guys kind of light up that shorten 3pt line so it's not like shooting 40% in the NBA. But look at the game logs and he's consistent game to game which is the important part.

Kind of talking out loud. I do think he has an allstar ceiling, like a Klay Thompson caliber player (again caliber, not as playing style). Not sure I see franchise player, or too close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Not likely.

This is what happens when you dont know what your talking about