Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default Re: helping your kid deal with the politics of school sports

Judging by what you're saying, and I mean this in no disrespectful way, I just don't see how it can be true and the kid still got cut from a JV team. It makes no sense from a number of sides...

1) Even playing against just other freshmen, dropping an average of 28 points should be enough to get you a bench spot on the varsity team, let alone a spot on the JV team

2) A 38 point triple double with that kind of efficiency is rarely had by a guard at this age, just being able to do that against any competition.

3) The Varsity coach didn't know a player that he liked and is on his AAU team got cut from the JV team?

Originally I was going to suggest that the coach thinks your kid was too set in his ways/style of play and wouldn't be a good fit for his team. But the kind of talent that he seems to have? You make exceptions for that.

Instead of complaining like a little bitch why dont you wake up at 4 or 5 in the morning and train with him at the gym or the park. No excuses

I rule the local playground

he's going to catholic school on a scholarship next year. thanks for the advice genius but he's in the gym every day at 6. hard to take any advice for someone who roots for the jets

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Doesn't really apply to what you are dealing with, but I was listening to a podcast interview of a father of top 10 kid in this 2015 class and he spoke about making sure he had the academic stuff straight foremost when preparing his kid for what was to come (recruitments, aau, etc). That and how on court and off the court behavior is a big deal. Not just the kid not being an asshole during the game, but the parents as well. In the stands and in social media, it's all being stalked by college programs.

I am reminded of Marvin Williams' recruitment at UNC. The story goes Roy was at one of his high school games to scout him. Marvin had a big game, like 40+, but he fouls out and what Marvin does as he walks to the bench is grab 5 cups of water and he brought the cups to his teammates going back into the game. That's what sold Roy to go all-in for him.

Kind of obvious things but food for thought, ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by kunk75
    he's going to catholic school on a scholarship next year. thanks for the advice genius but he's in the gym every day at 6. hard to take any advice for someone who roots for the jets
    Boi you the father whos son cant even make the squad when he's at the gym everyday at 6 and you wanna take shots at me

I made my ball team all 4 years of HS and all I did was play games afterschool

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Long Island ball is tough... Good amount of NBA talent has come from there too, I know certain teams on Long Island has some legitimate powerhouse teams compared to all of NY. Nearly every high school has a good team to be honest. So I wouldn't say your son should be too discouraged. I knew of great basketball players in high school in LI who couldn't start on their teams all 4 years but were very talented players nonetheless.

Two names come to mind for LI basketball.
    Old school: Julius Erving (went to high school to arguably the only considered "ghetto" neighborhood in all of LI, lol... Busta Rhymes went here and couple other famous people).
    New school: Tobias Harris

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of other pros currently and in the past who are from LI.
    Last edited by NBAplayoffs2001; 04-02-2015 at 10:06 PM.

College superstar

So many non-believers. I have no idea how much is true and I never would have thought stuff like this actually happens but after coaching for 3 years I swear to you all it happens all the time. And when it happens to your kid it is crushing.

GL OP. I hate to see athletics cloud academic issues. But he might be better off in a new situation.

thanks man. he will be on varsity as a sophomore next year and i think he will be much happier in the catholic school. it's also a very good academic school like our current school.

his aau coach is a public school varsity coach and confirmed this stuff indeed happens all the time.

judging by the way you type i am going to guess your academic career didn't extend beyond high school.

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    Boi you the father whos son cant even make the squad when he's at the gym everyday at 6 and you wanna take shots at me

I made my ball team all 4 years of HS and all I did was play games afterschool

correction, he was not on the varsity coach's aau team; he is on another coach's aau team.

also, i saw the jv coach at a tournament and he said he indeed thinks he made a big mistake not taking him but said he thought my son was pretty salty and seems to take the game too seriously :/ said he'd be happy to have him next year but too late for that now.

Quote Originally Posted by ThickassGlasses
    Judging by what you're saying, and I mean this in no disrespectful way, I just don't see how it can be true and the kid still got cut from a JV team. It makes no sense from a number of sides...

1) Even playing against just other freshmen, dropping an average of 28 points should be enough to get you a bench spot on the varsity team, let alone a spot on the JV team

2) A 38 point triple double with that kind of efficiency is rarely had by a guard at this age, just being able to do that against any competition.

3) The Varsity coach didn't know a player that he liked and is on his AAU team got cut from the JV team?

Originally I was going to suggest that the coach thinks your kid was too set in his ways/style of play and wouldn't be a good fit for his team. But the kind of talent that he seems to have? You make exceptions for that.

College superstar

My nephew is dealing with some of this now. He was by far the best player within a grade level in either direction. Spends his entire summer travelling for AAU and starts for a top 10 national team but the varsity coach has been alarmingly obtuse in several shocking areas. Everyone else on his AAU team plays varsity for their schools and is starting to get scholarship offers and the varsity coach at his school has said in no uncertain terms he isn't interested in bringing up Frosh and Sophs and has made some laughably judgmental/criminal comments about him.

The program is such a joke. Went to State 3 of my 4 years there and the only time since (and its been a few moons) was the Sr year of an NBA player and they lost the 1st game by 30+ points. Anyone that wants to play ball goes elsewhere. A bunch of politicians on high dictating their weird morality over anything basketball related.

It means so much to so many people and yet the people running it know nothing about basketball and only include their circles and have weird justifications for all their BS.

judging by the way you type i am going to guess your academic career didn't extend beyond high school.
    your on insidehoops retard the fck you expect

Banned

I had a similar issue in my first 2 years of high school. Got completely ****ed over because of politics. Transferred to the other school in town and got 1st team all league in my junior and senior years and went 4-0 against my old school. Felt amazing and made up for all the bullshit I went through.

update no one asked for but he wound up getting picked up by a very good aau team that plays on a national level and avg. 27/5/7 for the spring/summer season. he's settled in nicely at the catholic school and is playing for varsity as a soph this year/ getting cut from that bullshit team was one of the best things to happen to him.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

update no one asked for but he wound up getting picked up by a very good aau team that plays on a national level and avg. 27/5/7 for the spring/summer season. he's settled in nicely at the catholic school and is playing for varsity as a soph this year/ getting cut from that bullshit team was one of the best things to happen to him.
    If this is the truth then damn...how are people like this?