Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Re: Why I Must Believe In A Higher Being

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverHeat
    Firstly, if god is indeed real, then it cannot be proved without doubt in this life. One may point to many things in this world which can signal the presence of a god, but it cannot be proved scientifically until you die. So if religion is correct, it still cannot be proved. That is why its called faith.

Now, if you dont have faith and you disagree with it because it has no stone cold evidence, then isnt it a bit ironic that you then turn to atheism, which also has no stone cold evidence for how life came about? Its the pot calling the kettle black.

As far as Atheism having a theory, didnt you say this?
    Although it was allegedly "proved" thousands of years ago in Jesus Christ the son of God.

The definition of Faith "is a strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof". Why when you die is it then proved scientifically in afterlife as you say? This is a very convenient answer from people of "Faith".

When did Atheism say it had stone cold proof? And why are you even asking me what the theory of Atheism is when you just ****ing highlighted it!

I rule the local playground

Now, I know a lot of you disagree current religion, and in some cases I can understand why. This thread isnt for that though. What I am saying here is that I cannot NOT believe in a higher being. Even if I am not sure what that higher being is, I must believe it exists. This form of "atheism" where there was nothing and then there was something is not only EXTREMELY unlikely, but it is not possible.

Sometimes I just take a walk outside and look at the beautiful scenery and it kind of dawns about me that I know nothing of where I came and nothing about where I will go. When I die, I may just rot forever. There may not be a afterlife, but that is not the question. What was the beginning? Scientists themselves have no idea. There are many theories for how the universe began, but nothing to say how our current realm began. If our universe is surrounded by other universes, where did all these universes come from? If there was some crazy event we cant comprehend that created countless universes, what caused that? How far do things go? Its crazy to think about really, and for that reason I tend to lean towards their being a creator rather than there being nothing and everything just happening. Life right now is like a book where the first 3 quarters of it are ripped out and we are trying to put together the pieces, some of which will never be found.

Its depressing.
    You clearly don't know anything more about atheism than what your local priest has taught you. Now I'm not going to go into detail about why all of your statements that I highlighted are false (except for the last one cause your post really is depressing) just because it's too time consuming and I don't have the motivation. I will however take the time to recommend "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins in which he makes valid, thought provoking arguments against everything you just said as well as pretty much any other argument you've ever heard against atheism. Now I don't expect that you'd actually take the time to read over 1000 pages of actually facts (as opposed to the "facts" you've been spewing off in this thread) but if you actually were to read it and still aren't inclined to agree with atheism you have some strong ass faith. Or just severe reading comprehension skills. If you aren't going to read it though please stop acting like you know what atheists believe, because you very obviously (to any atheist anyway) don't.

This form of "atheism" where there was nothing and then there was something is not only EXTREMELY unlikely, but it is not possible.
    Atheism does not espouse the notion that something came from nothing. It is simply an umbrella term for everyone who does not believe in a god(s).

I think believing in a higher power for this reason is just inviting you to question the origin of this higher being. In essence, it is adding a superfluous layer which does not need to be added. There is nothing wrong with admitting that we do not know, but I do not understand the need to invoke a supreme being to explain it. A lot of principles in science are counter-intuitive (quauntum theory, relativity etc) - our origin may be the same if we ever do find out what it is.

Bold font resembles a Rambo post, so I'm inclined to not read.

The "it's depressing" thing is true, absolutely true. It's not comfortable or easy to realize us existing is random fcuking chance and nothing else. You may not WANT to believe it, but it's true.

Earned not given

Believing in a higher power is for the weak minded.

I control what I do and where I go in life. Not some puppet master that is supposedly there but no one has ever seen, heard, smelled, touched, or spoken to. You can say you have but no one would ever believe you without proof. Because there is no proof except what you believe in your little brain.

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6

I control what I do and where I go in life. Not some puppet master that is supposedly there but no one has ever seen, heard, smelled, touched, or spoken to. You can say you have but no one would ever believe you without proof. Because there is no proof except what you believe in your little brain.
    Actually there are studies that say the exact opposite.

People who don't believe in a higher power are more likely to be depressed and more likely to commit suicide.

I know there is no God but I choose to believe anyway. I'm at my strongest when I have faith in something more powerful than me.

I sacrifice my pride everyday so I can be stronger tomorrow. Don't you ever call me weak.

I'm off drugs because of 'God'. Could have never done it by myself. Eat shit, bTo!

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii

People who don't believe in a higher power are more likely to be depressed and more likely to commit suicide.

I know there is no God but I choose to believe anyway. I'm at my strongest when I have faith in something more powerful than me.

I sacrifice my pride everyday so I can be stronger tomorrow. Don't you ever call me weak.

I'm off drugs because of 'God'. Could have never done it by myself. Eat shit, bTo!
    You couldn't have done it by yourself because you're weak. You just proved my point

College superstar

If you want to believe that God got you off drugs and on the right path then that's fine. It has worked for you and the important thing is that you got back on track.

As an Atheist I think you are short changing yourself. Ultimately you put in the work and it is you who changed your life. I wouldn't let "God" or "faith" take credit for that.

Saying people who don't believe in God are more likely to be depressed and commit suicide is nothing but a sweeping statement by the way. There is no impartial proof to back that statement up.

To me it seems you cope best when you're aspiring to be something better, which is exactly what religious people see God as and try to do themselves.

Banned

So self-delusion is your drug of choice. At least you admit it.

Chill, brah

I rule the local playground

You couldn't have done it by yourself because you're weak. You just proved my point
    Don't think I've ever seen Budadiiii get owned quite this hard

That doesn't make sense.

If there is no God... then I did do it myself, no?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by step_back
    Saying people who don't believe in God are more likely to be depressed and commit suicide is nothing but a sweeping statement by the way. There is no impartial proof to back that statement up.
    I would think it would be the other way around. It should be harder for an atheist to commit suicide, because they don't believe in a better place you go to after death. If they know that this is all there is, I'd think it would be harder to end it all. Teaching children these fairytales about death can be harmful. I remember reading in the past year about a Christian child who committed suicide right after their father died. The kid left a note saying that they were going to go join daddy in Heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Aren't you from NY? Do even nature!? And Central Park doesn't count
    Natgeo tho