Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: If one guitarist plays music with more speed and accuracy, and with more feeling...

I don't like SRV's voice, so I'm not a big fan of his music.

Default Re: If one guitarist plays music with more speed and accuracy, and with more feeling...

You need a certain dose of technical prowess to potrait your intented music in a song. Some just need a little to do great songs while others could kill you with notes, but their songs are useless.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffen
    most technical guitarist = adgf

most creative guitarist = Zappa, Beck

most heart/soul = B.B. and Freddie King. No one else comes close.

most innovative = Van Halen, changed the game

most popular = Hendrix

most mimicked = Ritchie, any non pentatonic metal solo owes to this guy

most underrated = John Frusciante, not a fan, but he is good. Everybody knows Vai is a god.

most repetitive = Angus Young, true, but I love him

most overrated = Slash, also true

hwy didn't you pick a technical? Isn't Malmsteen considered one, along with any number of jazz cats?

Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    hwy didn't you pick a technical? Isn't Malmsteen considered one, along with any number of jazz cats?
    Technical is a stupid term for me. Is Yngwie more technical than Dave Gilmour? One guy plays fast, but really sloppy under a microscope. The other guys plays super clean notes, on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Technical is a stupid term for me. Is Yngwie more technical than Dave Gilmour? One guy plays fast, but really sloppy under a microscope. The other guys plays super clean notes, on point.
    I love Gilmour's playing x1000000 over Yngwie's awful cringe-metal... but yes, Yngwie is far more technical and skillful, and no he is not sloppy at all.

Yeah, he is, isn't he? I haven't heard Yngwie's stuff, but everyone says he's one of them. I don't know what you mean by "under a microscope". Technical proficiency at an instrument is a fairly objective measure. It encompasses things like speed and accuracy. Gilmour plays with a lot of feel, and I love his phrasings, and I'd probably much rather listen to his guitar than someone who just speeds through stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    Yeah, he is, isn't he? I haven't heard Yngwie's stuff, but everyone says he's one of them. I don't know what you mean by "under a microscope". Technical proficiency at an instrument is a fairly objective measure. It encompasses things like speed and accuracy. Gilmour plays with a lot of feel, and I love his phrasings, and I'd probably much rather listen to his guitar than someone who just speeds through stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    I love Gilmour's playing x1000000 over Yngwie's awful cringe-metal... but yes, Yngwie is far more technical and skillful, and no he is not sloppy at all.
    Under a microscope means that at 186 bpm-triplets there's much smaller margin for errors. Hitting notes 5% off beat will barely be noticed. At 72bpm?

Speed is about the only skill that always gets mentioned when it's about being technical, that's like talking about vertical for skillfull basketball players. Choice of notes and feel for rhythm are the best skills to have no matter the tempo imo.

Local High School Star Bimbo Coles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    So... you're spinning the Double Trouble LPs, are you? Do you know why you aren't? It's because SRV has never come up with that indelible guitar line. Give him a song - like any Hendrix - he'll do more with it than the originator, but he's never come up with anything on his own... comparable to his talent. Does this make him a bad guitarist? I can't think of a better one (well, except Zappa), but he ain't creative.

And...

Quote Originally Posted by me
    most technical guitarist = Allan Holdsworth

most creative guitarist = The Zap Man

most heart/soul = SRV

most innovative = Chuck Berry

most popular = who cares?

most mimicked = Wilko Johnson

most underrated = Craig Scanlon

most repetitive = Craig Scanlon (joke... for you in the know)

most overrated = the two Jims
    It's somewhat germane to the thread, and it's a way to get some of their shit into your diet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd38PiLqDA4

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Duane Allman >

Also, Randy Rhodes and David lee Roth (while both talented) were both Mick Ronson copycats.

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    Duane Allman >

Also, Randy Rhodes and David lee Roth (while both talented) were both Mick Ronson copycats.
    Pretty sure Rhoads was a fan, read it somewhere IIRC.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Pretty sure Rhoads was a fan, read it somewhere IIRC.
    He patterned his entire playing style and image after him.

Even down to the haircut!

Yngwie Malmsteen isn't a jazz based guitarist as someone posted here, he's a neo classic guitarist.

https://youtu.be/D4OxW_0qqv8

5-time NBA All-Star

Music is about what you hear and feel. The great ones can do that within a few notes without making speed and accuracy a thing of notice. If a player can get a mood quickly, make you think differently about the star spangled banner, or just be super innovative and has a catchy way of playing. BTW, isn't the Hendrix cord and inaccurate chord?

For me I just close my eyes and the player that makes me go hmmp is the one I want.

As far as ranking guitar playing Hendrix's distance in innovation, being mimicked and influence on the guitar as to the next most influential guitar player might be the biggest distance in all of musical playing instruments. Before Hendrix and after Hendrix makes a complete joke out of next comparable guy and his rivals. His impact on other players is more of a distance than Coltrane or Charlie Parker had on the Saxophones. Not only was Hendrix far superior with innovation of sound but was on another level of support vocals as well. How he used the intro, to the next solo, to the climax also was never done the way he did it in pop music.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Music is about what you hear and feel. The great ones can do that within a few notes without making speed and accuracy a thing of notice. If a player can get a mood quickly, make you think differently about the star spangled banner, or just be super innovative and has a catchy way of playing. BTW, isn't the Hendrix cord and inaccurate chord?

For me I just close my eyes and the player that makes me go hmmp is the one I want.

As far as ranking guitar playing Hendrix's distance in innovation, being mimicked and influence on the guitar as to the next most influential guitar player might be the biggest distance in all of musical playing instruments. Before Hendrix and after Hendrix makes a complete joke out of next comparable guy and his rivals. His impact on other players is more of a distance than Coltrane or Charlie Parker had on the Saxophones. Not only was Hendrix far superior with innovation of sound but was on another level of support vocals as well. How he used the intro, to the next solo, to the climax also was never done the way he did it in pop music.
    It's just a 7 chord with a #9. Dissonant... not inaccurate.

Yeah I was gonna respond to others with a rant about how Hendrix would claim "most innovative" and "most mimicked" by leaps and bounds over anyone else, but I wasn't sure it was worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Yngwie Malmsteen isn't a jazz based guitarist as someone posted here, he's a neo classic guitarist.

https://youtu.be/D4OxW_0qqv8
    Nobody said that.