Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: How do you handle plane turbulence?

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    I whip it out and start beating it right there. Then all the other passengers take a cue from me and they start whipping it out and beating like mad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A_n_zwIZk4

I was on a small plane on my way to Boracay in the Philippines. The plane had just started the descent and the nose tilted sharply down. We all felt the plane drop, I don't know how far, but it felt like we were nose down for about 10-15 seconds. Scariest 10-15 seconds of my life, and I've been in a pretty harrowing car crash as well as being robbed at knife point.

My best friend held my hand, LOL. Everyone, I mean everyone looked panicked. You can tell if it's bad by looking at the air hostess. If they look stressed, it's bad. Anyway, a woman screamed when this happened, and the next day I met her on the beach, and she's now my wife.

TL;DR - Scary turbulence story, unbeknownst to me future wife on plane, too.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

scotch whisky

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    i rlly hate it, i know its perfectly normal and part of flying, and that a plane can whitstand the worst kind of it like nothing, but its just irrational feeling. i need to fly 2-4 times a year and i seem to never get used to it. feel bad for nba players who dislike this as they fly like crazy every year. ne1 else discomfortable w turbulence?
    It's scary being up there, yes. But just look at the stats. It's seriously more likely for you to have gotten into a life threatening car accident on the way to the airport than for the airplane to go down.

Every time a major airplane goes down we hear about it on the news. And that doesn't happen much.
    Last edited by tmacattack33; 06-04-2014 at 09:48 AM.

turbulence iz very annoying to me, like it seems worse than what it iz at first than itz really not a big deal afterwardz. Been on a plane at least 50 timez in my life.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

I have a 10 hour flight to Paris next week...go to try to sleep through it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    guess what I did 26 days ago
    You ate more ass didn't you?

Like Ced, I look at the flight attendants. They are on these planes all the time. If they're calm, going about their business then I just think of the turbulence as bumps in the road. But when they look scared

Banned

[QUOTE=rufuspaul]Like Ced, I look at the flight attendants. They are on these planes all the time. If they're calm, going about their business then I just think of the turbulence as bumps in the road. But when they look scared

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    I whip it out and start beating it right there. Then all the other passengers take a cue from me and they start whipping it out and beating like mad.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Holy shit that must've been terrifying. Missing the runway was bad enough but then to immediately run into a storm and also run out of fuel?

Someone on that plane was Hitler in a past life.

Macho Man was in DC eating ass, so the plane might have been headed his way.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Macho Man was in DC eating ass, so the plane might have been headed his way.
    Deviant bastard putting unborn babies' lives at risk

[QUOTE=rufuspaul]Like Ced, I look at the flight attendants. They are on these planes all the time. If they're calm, going about their business then I just think of the turbulence as bumps in the road. But when they look scared

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS
    That's some scary shit. Good point about the pilot. In January I was flying down to Vegas for CES, and the pilot made this really quick, stressed out sounding announcement over Colorado. Some of the worst turbulence I have ever experienced, and he comes on and says something like: "ahh, we're moving up 5,000 ft." But spoke so quickly and nervously. If he had confidence in his voice, it would have made me a lot more comfortable instead of thinking about dying beside the big smelly mess of a man I was sitting beside.

Yeah, some are better at it than others. I think one of the reasons turbulence is so prevalent nowadays is that air traffic is so dense pilots don't always have the option of changing altitude to try and find some calmer air.

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

Turbulence is the same as some bumps in the road. Those planes are not nearly as fragile as they seem.

If you're uncomfortable with flying, read over some plane crash statistics. You are statistically much safer in the air than you are on the ground in a car.

The only thing I hate about flying is sitting in a small chair and not really moving around for hours. I get extremely uncomfortable on flights 5 or more hours. I'll fake going to the bathroom like 4 times just so I can stand up and walk around. First class is a little better since you have more room to sprawl in the seats but it still sucks.