Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #121
niko
I Run NY.

Default Re: If LeBron win two titles - is he top 5 all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
3rd after Jordan and Kareem
Kareem is nowhere near top two.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #122
midatlantic09
Local High School Star

A lot of you guys put way too much emphasis on rings. You could have the best player ever, but if he doesn't have the right supporting cast, he'll never win a championship (which says nothing about his skills as a player).

All rings tell me is that the team's management did an excellent job of acquiring the right players and the right coaches to get the job done.
midatlantic09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #123
RazorBaLade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic09
A lot of you guys put way too much emphasis on rings. You could have the best player ever, but if he doesn't have the right supporting cast, he'll never win a championship (which says nothing about his skills as a player).

All rings tell me is that the team's management did an excellent job of acquiring the right players and the right coaches to get the job done.

How true is that though? How many times has a really really good player not found a way to win, via leaving to a different team or demanding the FO to make moves or doing his best with what he has?

Look at KG, he was dying in minny right.. Hasn't he really maxed his potential? He went and left to bos, won a championship, and we know who the guy is. If he played on the lakers alongside kobe all this time would he really go down as a better player? We know who the guy is / was. A top 20 player of all time. Dirk couldn't win in dallas but he did, didn't he? And it proved he was who we thought he was, a top 20 player of all time.

When has a player not been able to win that would really make a giant leap with championships? If kobe left the lakers in 06 and played on the clippers he'd still go down as a top 10 player all time, he'd still win one title and be who he is. Theres just no way around it, if you stick around long enough you'll show who you are.
RazorBaLade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #124
Ne 1
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
Kobe might have been the second best player one his first 3 titles but he was a bad motherf**ker on all three of those putting up something like 25/5/5. Kobe and Shaq was like 1a and 1b much like Lebron and Wade.

Why dosen't anyone discredit Magic for winning with Kareem? He was as clear of a sidekick in 1980 as Kobe was in 2000. And if you look at 1982 objectively< Kareem was still the best player and in 1985, it was atleast 1.A/1.B. Yet nobody says Magic has only 2 or 3 rings or puts a qualifier on them. Why the double standard?
Ne 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #125
gengiskhan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
Even if you insanely don't count Kobe's first thee rings, he still has 2 with 2 FMVP's. And Kobe hasn't been dominant in the regualar season? It's not like he doesn't put up stats either. On any given night he's gonna get you 25 or 30 points. He's always getting you 5 or 6 rebounds a game and 5 or 6 assists a game. He scored 81 f**king points in a game. I would expect Lebron at 6'8 260 as a forward to shoot a higher fg%.

Kobe might have been the second best player one his first 3 titles but he was a bad motherf**ker on all three of those putting up something like 25/5/5. Kobe and Shaq was like 1a and 1b much like Lebron and Wade. But, Lebron and Wade also hav eBosh who is ranked by most as one of the best players in the league.

This is some efficiency worshipping, Henry Abbot/John Hollinger stat geek douchebaggery.

Damn faaaaaak

Shaq was a beast of nature unstoppable force strength wise

Every opponent triple teamed shaq almost every play just to stop monster dunks

Kobe was "left wide open" perimeter scorer.

Hence Kobe stats are considerably inflated thanks to shaq's dominant peak prime
gengiskhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #126
niko
I Run NY.

Lebron has not won two titles. He has won NO titles. Can we stop giving him hypothetical titles?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #127
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

As far as best player, I'd already put him in the top 3.

If you want to talk about greatest legacy (which I personally don't give 2 shits about) he's like top 15.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #128
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

2 titles would probably get Lebron borderline top 10 on my list, probably 11th. I have him around the top 15 range now. But it depends on his performance. Only two top 10 players don't have more than 2 rings, and they are Hakeem and Wilt. I see quite a few parallels between Wilt's career and Lebron's so far, except Lebron doesn't have the rings now that Wilt did, or a season as complete as Wilt's '67 season.

Hakeem vs Lebron would still be pretty clear cut for me. Hakeem was the better player, imo, the far more consistent playoff performer and he clearly had less help on his championship teams while facing better competition(particularly in '95) than Lebron will face this season when he has a really easy path to the finals. Hakeem is right around my top 5, though. Just using him as an example since he'd be one of the only 2 top 10 players Lebron would be tied with.

But quite a bit will depend on performance, that's a big factor for me with rings, how well you play to get them.

Even so, Lebron would have the most help of anyone since the 80's, and one of the easier paths to the finals this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne 1
Why dosen't anyone discredit Magic for winning with Kareem? He was as clear of a sidekick in 1980 as Kobe was in 2000. And if you look at 1982 objectively< Kareem was still the best player and in 1985, it was atleast 1.A/1.B. Yet nobody says Magic has only 2 or 3 rings or puts a qualifier on them. Why the double standard?

True, I hate that Kareem's 1980 run is forgotten. It was one of the best playoff runs ever, imo. Luckily, I've seen almost every game from that playoff run. It seemed to be forgotten when Magic had his game 6(winning finals MVP for being more valuable in 1 game rather than the other 5 )

And yeah, Kareem was still better in '82. Magic had more responsibility than he had during the first title, and the gap had closed a bit. But Kareem was still easily their best scorer, and their 1st option in the half court, he was also blocking 3 shots per game giving him a significant defensive advantage over Magic.

Magic still hadn't developed much of an outside shot then, and certainly didn't show the post game he did from '87-'91. That made him a more limited half court player.

Kareem was clearly their best player from '80-'83, imo, and by '84, '85 and arguably '86, they were 1.A/1.B in that they're close enough that it's tough to decide. By '84 or '85, around there, Magic was adding the outside shot which improved his game.

It was still "Kareem's team" until the '86-'87 season when Magic took over.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #129
D.J.
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Kareem is nowhere near top two.

He's no lower than 3rd. Top 3 is MJ, Wilt, and Kareem. Debate the order all you want, but Kareem at worst is 3rd.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #130
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

two rings and two final MVPs

i'd probly have in my top ten.

it would be hard not to. assuming that he keeps up his current play and wins another regulars season with the two rings and two final mvp's.

4 MVP's and 2 Finals MVP's along with all his other accolades gives him a pretty good resume.

we may have to wait until he retires. alot of people have problems putting current players over magic and bird because of the emotional attachment.

but when its all said and done kobe bryant will be in the top 5 and if lebrons wins a couple rings he might be there to.
LBJMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: