Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Jogging late at night

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    And whoever told you that exercising everyday is stupid. Run every day. I am going to try and do that as soon as i get back from Asia.
    It's completely dependent on where you run, but if you tend to run on pavement or concrete for more than a few miles per run, your ankles, calves and knees will need time to rest. Running too often on pavement for long periods can damage your joints or simply leave you perpetually sore. It's best to find other cardio exercises if you're looking to do cardio every day. Remember, like lifting weights, your muscles and joints need time to regenerate. Working out muscle groups that are already sore is both inefficient (you won't be able to exercise as well as you would want) and dangerous (you increase the chance of tearing, tweaking or pulling something).

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    It's completely dependent on where you run, but if you tend to run on pavement or concrete for more than a few miles per run, your ankles, calves and knees will need time to rest. Running too often on pavement for long periods can damage your joints or simply leave you perpetually sore. It's best to find other cardio exercises if you're looking to do cardio every day. Remember, like lifting weights, your muscles and joints need time to regenerate. Working out muscle groups that are already sore is both inefficient (you won't be able to exercise as well as you would want) and dangerous (you increase the chance of tearing, tweaking or pulling something).

MaxFly,

I went walking yesterday for awhile and after I fiinshed, my shins started hurting a little. Do you know why? I am trying to lose weight.

High School Varsity 6th Man Miles and Miles's Avatar

YOU made need time to rest but this isn't true with everyone. People are different. I run 365 days per year and probably 350 of them on pavement.

Future D1 Dad

yeah, and you're not supposed to eat after 7-8pm too. i think it's fine. i don't go for that internal clock thing. but,if it's true, then mine is jacked up thanks to the shift i work.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles and Miles
    YOU made need time to rest but this isn't true with everyone. People are different. I run 365 days per year and probably 350 of them on pavement.
    That may be YOU, but MOST people need to rest. In fact, it's generally recommended. If jogging 1460 miles a year and upwards works for you, so be it, but like lifting weights, it's recommeded you rest and allow your muscles and joints to rejuvenate. MOST people will only end up doing harm to themselves in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    MaxFly,

I went walking yesterday for awhile and after I fiinshed, my shins started hurting a little. Do you know why? I am trying to lose weight.
    How often do you walk Helige and were you on your feet for most of the day and walked late?

I usually hit open layups

if you guys want to lose weight.. jogging or just plain running won't help much.. unless you are going to run 5-10 miles a day, it doesn't burn much fat off if you are simply running..

what you need is interval cardio exercise... anything that increase your heartbeat will burn more fat after your workout.. sports such as basketball and soccer are perfect interval cardio sports because you rest for a few seconds, and it's back to sprint.. that's why you will never find one fat or even close to un-fit soccer player....

i always end my workout with interval cardio on treadmill machine or just running on track..

on treadmill:

1st .25 miles at 6.0 speed and 3.5 incline
    2nd .25 miles at 6.5 speed and 4.0 incline
    3rd .25 miles at 7.0 speed and 4.5 incline
    4th .25 miles at 7.5 speed and 5.0 incline

then rest for a minute or two depending on how tired you get and then sprint:

60 second at 8.5 speed and 3.0 incline and walk at 3.2 speed for a minute
    70 second at 9.0 speed and 3.0 incline and walk at 3.2 speed for a minute
    80 second at 9.5 speed and 3.0 incline and walk at 3.2 speed for a minute
    90 second at 9.5 speed and 3.0 incline and walk for a minute and stop

it's pretty intense to start, but you will get a good work... and if you are really hardcore, you can do 2 or 3 miles to start before the sprint..

try it.. it'll work.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    So I've just started going for runs pretty late into the night, after I get home from work, which is after midnight. I'm severely out of shape, and want to get back into the thick of things so that I *might* have a chance of making my University basketball team (although my hopes aren't all that high). I've done it 4 days in a row now, but I was talking to a friend, and he told me that the body shuts down a little before midnight, and it's not actually good for you to exercise past that time. That's the 'designated time' for sleep. He said the morning or evening is better.

I also heard from someone that you shouldn't exercise each and every day, and that it's better to do it every second day.

Anyone know if there's any truth to these two things?
    i heard running in the morning is the best time of day for people to do that....but i dont feel comfortable running when theres people staring at me while driving by during the day...one time i was jogging at night, and this car passed by and the guy called me a fat @ss...i was like

Quote Originally Posted by MJ23
    i heard running in the morning is the best time of day for people to do that....but i dont feel comfortable running when theres people staring at me while driving by during the day...one time i was jogging at night, and this car passed by and the guy called me a fat @ss...i was like
    Have you tried a local park? I've never run in a residential area... the starting and stopping, waiting for traffic and weaving around people would annoy me. And as you mentioned, if you're the only one running, you tend to stand out, and it can be a distraction.

Banned

Hawker's comment about club soccer brings up a tangent question that I have been wondering about: how hard is it to make your school's club bball team?

High School Varsity 6th Man Miles and Miles's Avatar

That may be YOU, but MOST people need to rest. In fact, it's generally recommended. If jogging 1460 miles a year and upwards works for you, so be it, but like lifting weights, it's recommeded you rest and allow your muscles and joints to rejuvenate. MOST people will only end up doing harm to themselves in the long run.
    I can give you thousands of people that don't need a rest after running on pavement one day. Anytime you want to compare running knowledge you let me know.

An Icon Forever

How often do you walk Helige and were you on your feet for most of the day and walked late?

I don't walk that much. I just began really.

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by r32soul
    if you guys want to lose weight.. jogging or just plain running won't help much.. unless you are going to run 5-10 miles a day, it doesn't burn much fat off if you are simply running..

what you need is interval cardio exercise... anything that increase your heartbeat will burn more fat after your workout.. sports such as basketball and soccer are perfect interval cardio sports because you rest for a few seconds, and it's back to sprint.. that's why you will never find one fat or even close to un-fit soccer player....

i always end my workout with interval cardio on treadmill machine or just running on track..

on treadmill:

1st .25 miles at 6.0 speed and 3.5 incline
    2nd .25 miles at 6.5 speed and 4.0 incline
    3rd .25 miles at 7.0 speed and 4.5 incline
    4th .25 miles at 7.5 speed and 5.0 incline

then rest for a minute or two depending on how tired you get and then sprint:

60 second at 8.5 speed and 3.0 incline and walk at 3.2 speed for a minute
    70 second at 9.0 speed and 3.0 incline and walk at 3.2 speed for a minute
    80 second at 9.5 speed and 3.0 incline and walk at 3.2 speed for a minute
    90 second at 9.5 speed and 3.0 incline and walk for a minute and stop

it's pretty intense to start, but you will get a good work... and if you are really hardcore, you can do 2 or 3 miles to start before the sprint..

try it.. it'll work.

Would you recommend this for someone who is just gettign started on losing weight?

I work out when i feel like it but i make sure to at least get some form of cardio in. I feel a set schedule is too boring and i get tired of it easily so i mostly go on how im feeling at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    I don't walk that much. I just began really.
    I wouldn't say that it's normal just for walking, but if you walked a good distance or at a quick pace, that could be the cause. I'd want to say that it's more likely that your legs were tired from being up and about all day if you were walking in the afternoon or evening. Try walking again and seeing how long it takes before you start feeling any pain or discomfort. Chances are that your legs have already become accustomed to the increased activity and that you won't feel anything after a few sessions of walking.