Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #16
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Default Re: Is this excessive fines for Drinking and Driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeezy
People make mistakes. People remorse. People don't do it again. Yes it's a good thing he didn't kill anyone, but is it necessary to ruin ones quality of life over a decade span?

Again I don't condone it (I'm almost certain that point will go over EVERYBODY'S head) but when is enough enough when someone has been reformed?

It's hard to know when someone is truly reformed, and often these fines and penalties are levied as more of a punishment for past actions than as a deterrent for future actions.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #17
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
People make mistakes. People remorse. People don't do it again. Yes it's a good thing he didn't kill anyone, but is it necessary to ruin ones quality of life over a decade span?

Again I don't condone it (I'm almost certain that point will go over EVERYBODY'S head) but when is enough enough when someone has been reformed?

DUIs dont happen by mistake. Its not like he accidentally drank a bunch of liquor and then accidentally got in his car and drove somewhere. You say people dont do it again, but your friend did do it again, and again.

Its laughable that you think this clowns quality of life was ruined because of $5k in fines and no license for a year. You know what really ruins someones quality of life? When a person or one of their loved ones is randomly killed by some dipshit drunk driver.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #18
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Bayless
You’re asking if 7 years of hardship is justified for his actions. The answer is yes.

How long do we condemn other people who endanger lives? Drug dealers? Batterers? Etc...
I'm not taking a pro side here, but that to me is the same category. Why do people under these categories get forgiveness after being reformed? And heaven forbid get high profile jobs like....playing for the NFL?
(last part was sarcasm)
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #19
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
DUIs dont happen by mistake. Its not like he accidentally drank a bunch of liquor and then accidentally got in his car and drove somewhere. You say people dont do it again, but your friend did do it again, and again

And was reformed and has never done it since then. He actually remorse what he's done

Quote:
Its laughable that you think this clowns quality of life was ruined because of $5k in fines and no license for a year. You know what really ruins someones quality of life? When a person or one of their loved ones is randomly killed by some dipshit drunk driver.

I agree. Like I said, he's an asshole, just like you.

Maybe you should just sit this conversation out. You have this unique ability to make threads personal and toxic. Best not to derail it and finally get a good conversation going. But feel free to tab it so you can put it in your archive of posters you don't like
Old 11-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #20
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Should we condemn EVERYONE who's committed life threatening crimes? Drug dealers? Wife batterers? Fight Dog breeders? Etc...

Those individuals get pretty stiff penalties for their infractions and generally end up in prison. I certainly support programs aimed at helping people to turn their lives around, but in your brother's case, after having been caught and likely fined twice before, the system would be hard pressed to take it easy on him, even if he changed. The theory is that if leniency doesn't help, stiff penalties will force the individual to reassess their lives while safeguarding the roadways for others.

May I ask... why did your brother change after the third time and not the second time?
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #21
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
It's hard to know when someone is truly reformed, and often these fines and penalties are levied as more of a punishment for past actions than as a deterrent for future actions.

Fair way to look at it.

So we aren't punishing the potential we're condemning the person.
For me being the deterrent is just as important. When a person is reformed I'm sure they regret what they've done more than fear of doing it again.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #22
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
How long do we condemn other people who endanger lives? Drug dealers? Batterers? Etc...
I'm not taking a pro side here, but that to me is the same category. Why do people under these categories get forgiveness after being reformed? And heaven forbid get high profile jobs like....playing for the NFL?
(last part was sarcasm)

depending on the severity of the crime, drug dealers and people who commit battery can be locked up for up to 20+ years in the US...we condemn them for a long time

what the **** are you even talking about with this "forgiveness" nonsense? its not like people are given a fresh slate when they finish a 10 year sentence for beating up their wife... they come out of prison an ex-con and they are labelled a wifebeater for the rest of their life.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #23
stalkerforlife
Free the banned users.

Three times in one year?

He'd be in prison in the states.
stalkerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #24
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Maybe you should just sit this conversation out. You have this unique ability to make threads personal and toxic. Best not to derail it and finally get a good conversation going. But feel free to tab it so you can put it in your archive of posters you don't like

How about I keep doing whatever the fuck I want? If you dont like my posts then how about you leave?

Anyway, the only thing I have said in this thread that resembles an attack is calling your friend a dipshit. I have not said anything disparaging about you... you are the one who made things personal and toxic by calling me an asshole.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #25
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Those individuals get pretty stiff penalties for their infractions and generally end up in prison. I certainly support programs aimed at helping people to turn their lives around, but in your brother's case, after having been caught and likely fined twice before, the system would be hard pressed to take it easy on him, even if he changed. The theory is that if leniency doesn't help, stiff penalties will force the individual to reassess their lives while safeguarding the roadways for others.

May I ask... why did your brother change after the third time and not the second time?

Back in those days drinking and driving were VERY commonplace. This was back in 2011. Before that time it was a slap on the wrist. Maybe a $150 fine and an overnight car impound. But the 3rd time when he officially lost his licence, yes. He was fully reformed. Not just for acknowledging what he did was wrong, but taking his licence ruined a lot of opportunity for him. He's had his licence back for 4 years now and has not once drove drunk. Not even a couple of blocks. Not to mention the stories he'd tell me of the responsible drivers program. It essentially was AA for drunk drivers.

Do I agree with the harsh penalties? Of course. Is there a point where reform can be detected? I think so.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #26
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
How about I keep doing whatever the fuck I want? If you dont like my posts then how about you leave?

Anyway, the only thing I have said in this thread that resembles an attack is calling your friend a dipshit. I have not said anything disparaging about you... you are the one who made things personal and toxic by calling me an asshole.

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion. i agree with it very much. You're just an asshole.

You had a civil response that had good talking point. Then you edited it to be a combative ass. And just like the example of this post you turn things into a toxic personal matter. My thread, my rules. Kick rocks asshole.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #27
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with your opinion. i agree with it very much. You're just an asshole.

Your "friend" is actually you, isnt it?

Quote:
You had a civil response that had good talking point. Then you edited it to be a combative ass. And just like the example of this post you turn things into a toxic personal matter.

How is calling your "friend" a dipshit toxic? Other people in this thread have said worse, yet im the only one who makes your vagina sandy.

Anybody who gets 3 DUIs in a year is a dipshit, thats not being toxic thats being accurate.

Quote:
My thread, my rules. Kick rocks asshole.

Good luck with that
Old 11-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #28
Akrazotile
NBA Legend

Quote:
In the US, a single DUI costs an average of around $10k... so $5k for THREE of them seems like a huge bargain. Also in most states getting multiple DUIs in such a short period of time is going to be a multi-year license suspension and mandatory prison time.

So no, thats not remotely excessive. All things considered your dipshit friend was really lucky.

This probably includes lawyer fees. Which most people I guess pay for because they think they need to, but for a simple DUI with no injuries it's completely unnecessary to hire a lawyer. You're gonna get a fine, license suspension, and classes regardless. Lawyer really doesn't really change the outcome. People just get scared of going through the court system and pay up.

That said, it's such a tricky issue. I agree completely we can't tolerate drunk driving. I've gotten a DUI myself which luckily didn't result in any harm to anyone, but I understand how many people's lives are ruined by accidents every year.

The problem I guess is that it's such a temptation for the 'ordinary person' who is not otherwise a criminal and does not have any intention of harming anyone. Normal people get DUI's all the time. Crippling penalties will undoubtedly work as a deterrent to some degree, but you'll also end up with an inordinate amount of people being severely punished for a single ignorant mistake.

Just don't know what the answer is.
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #29
Overdrive
Decent college freshman

As a motorcyclist I'd impose superstrict rules:

After the second DUI you should lose your car and your license forever. Same for phoning/texting while driving.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #30
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
How is calling your "friend" a dipshit toxic? Other people in this thread have said worse, yet im the only one who makes your vagina sandy.

Don't have a problem with you calling me or anyone a dipshit. I'm just pointing out that fact you turned your post from something of a good talking point and edited it to be a combative cVnt. That's the premise of me calling you an asshole. I don;t have a problem with your statement at all

Quote:
Anybody who gets 3 DUIs in a year is a dipshit, thats not being toxic thats being accurate.

Agreed. You're still an asshole. Want to go in circles again?

like I said, you manage to change quality threads into a personal toxic spew of BS. Case in point. But here goes Nanners trying to be the wannabe badass. You're too stupid to realize that I'm agreeing with you. You're just an asshole and not acknowledging you in this thread anymore.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: