Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rank sentamentalist

Default Re: Why don't more liberals become doctors and work pro bono?

time and energy are finite and must be spent wisely. you're suggesting we spend them indiscriminately. but i feel ya. it's good that you're thinking of ways other people can help other people. thats... a kind of compassion i think?

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    time and energy are finite and must be spent wisely. you're suggesting we spend them indiscriminately. but i feel ya. it's good that you're thinking of ways other people can help other people. thats... a kind of compassion i think?

Yeah but exept thinking about it doesnt really get anything done. People have to do the stuff they proclaim is important.

NBA All-star

because being liberal is an expensive hobby.

either you're not making any money, or you're just dumping money out.

why do you think presidential candidates pretend like they focus so much on the middle class in order to steal votes from those who are idealistic yet is realistic about their pocket book?

what's the rumor about Al Gore selling his global warming organization thinge for a profit?

hint hint: doctors don't really become filthy rich, but they could be in a small town. as to why more doctors wouldn't want to move to a small town to be filthy rich?

rank sentamentalist

that's true. action is the true measure of man. and sitting in a chair worrying about the suffering around the world is about as moral as contemplating the despair the black plague must have caused... not worth much.

wait are you insinuating something about me or something about yourself?

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    that's true. action is the true measure of man. and sitting in a chair worrying about the suffering around the world is about as moral as contemplating the despair the black plague must have caused... not worth much.

wait are you insinuating something about me or something about yourself?

Wasnt targeting anyone in paticular, just posin a general question.

Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    It's a hell of a lot of work, but I mean, these people are all about helping others, right?

How come more of these guys aren't taking out loans and grinding through 8 grueling years so they can work for salaries just barely enough to pay back their loans with little personal financial gain or extravagance.

This would help lower the cost of healthcare TREMENDOUSLY. We wouldn't have to have these fights about who is paying for whom and all that stuff. We just need more liberals to work as doctors for below market value.

Step up liberals! This is your chance. You guys are always doing the "kumbaya, do your fair share" stuff when it comes to other peoples' time and money, right? Put down that major in french poetry, and pick up that pre-med text book!

LE'GGOOO!!!!
    The reason they or anyone else doesn't do this en masse is because prices aren't arbitrary. In a market setting They represent the subjective value of real goods and services. Doctors make a lot because their services are in high demand and the supply of their labor is low. Therefore the price of their services is bid up. If 20% of doctors started offering their services for free the value for the job would be reduced and less people would enter the field, which would in turn shrink the supply of labor and it would be bid right up to where it started. Prices(wages) are the result of millions of trade offs and negotiations happening every minute.

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Academ.../PThy_ToC.html

Why would anyone ever do that?

Like the other posters have stated, there are thousands of far more effective ways to be a liberal idiot.