Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Idea: How to get rid of Hack-a-Shaq in NBA

Idea: How to get rid of Hack-a-Shaq in NBA

If contact is committed against any player, with or without the basketball, and it's determined by a game official to be unnecessary, the penalty is: one free throw and possession of the ball to the offended team. Furthermore, if the intentional foul is determined to be physically dangerous, the penalty becomes two free throws plus possession. Good riddance to ugly, cynical and boring basketball strategy. RIP, Hack-a-Shaq.

-- Denver Post

High School Varsity 6th Man justin43's Avatar

Default Re: Idea: How to get rid of Hack-a-Shaq in NBA

Quote Originally Posted by insidehoops

If contact is committed against any player, with or without the basketball, and it's determined by a game official to be unnecessary, the penalty is: one free throw and possession of the ball to the offended team. Furthermore, if the intentional foul is determined to be physically dangerous, the penalty becomes two free throws plus possession. Good riddance to ugly, cynical and boring basketball strategy. RIP, Hack-a-Shaq.

-- Denver Post
    Change "unnecessary" to "intentional" and allow any player to take the free throw like in a technical foul and then it will work.

Learn to shoot free throws

-- Rent Free Mail

Good High School Starter Bernkastel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StephHamann

-- Rent Free Mail

I don't want game officials to determine anything. They have proven stupid enough over the decades.

I have zero interest in letting the refs determine anything more than they already do. Too many of them already think they should be the center of attention out there as it is and practically all of them can barely be trusted to make the right call most of the time.

Its cool that we're all rapping about it just in the context of discussing ideas, but I maintain that professional basketball players should be able to make the easiest shot in the game with a consistency that renders the strategy ineffective.

Tolerant Liberals

How do we distinguish a hack a shaq move and the much more acceptable intentional foiling when trailing at the end of games, or are we going to remove that too? What does college/fiba do? I have no idea the actual rule, but I'm almost positive ncaa does not have hack a shaq because some of those kids shoot like 30%. Can't NBA implement something similar?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by StephHamann

-- Rent Free Mail
    This

Hack-a-whoever doesn't effect me much, right now it's part of the game tactics

Simply learn to shoot free-throws and you won't get fouled intentionally

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...4&postcount=12
    [COLOR=Teal]
    Scenario where I'd like to see ft + possession implemented. About hacking, if you shoot way below 50% from FT might as well use backboard and try to bank the FT. No reason not to be able to hit 1/2 if you're a pro, really, which's usually good-enough to stop hacking.
    [/COLOR]

Just use the FIBA ****ing rule, what a bunch of dumbasses in the NBA headquarters.

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    How do we distinguish a hack a shaq move and the much more acceptable intentional foiling when trailing at the end of games, or are we going to remove that too? What does college/fiba do? I have no idea the actual rule, but I'm almost positive ncaa does not have hack a shaq because some of those kids shoot like 30%. Can't NBA implement something similar?
    The sequence of fouling someone on purpose away from the ball is deemed an unsportsman like foul as it is not a basketball play, 2 shots and ball on the side IIRC. Like Maga mentions, it's a very easy fix and it works just fine in all the worlds basketball leagues except for the NBA.
    Last edited by ZenMaster; 05-06-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Idea: Get in the gym and work on your free throws and stop whining for the league to bail out your poor play.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    I don't want game officials to determine anything. They have proven stupid enough over the decades.
    This. Coaches will just tell their players to play "physically" until a foul is called. It will likely increase the chances of a fight too.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    This. Coaches will just tell their players to play "physically" until a foul is called. It will likely increase the chances of a fight too.
    Not true. If you want to foul a player away from the ball but not to make it a deliberate foul then you will have to time it to the flow of the game and where the ball is going. This would take up too much of the shot clock and you would still be risking the refs calling you for the unsportsman like foul.

As for increasing chances of fighting, good! A non basketball play like fouling someone on purpose away from the ball should warrant a slap or two.

Shaq is retired