Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far
Default Was there ever a Willie Lynch Letter?

I was watching the movie "Animal" starring Ving Rhames, Terrance Howard and Jim Brown last night. For those who never seen it, it's about a man(Rhames) who was into the thug life and earned a reputation of being a killer. He ended up in jail, leaving his son(Howard) with his mother who died when he was 12.

While in jail, he met a man(Brown) who helped him change his mindset and thinking. He read to him the Willie Lynch Letter, which is believed to be a speech made by Willie Lynch in 1712(the name from which the term "lynching came from"). For those not familiar with it, it provides a formula on how to make black people stay in the slave mindset - turn light-skinned and against dark-skinned, old against young, male against female, etc. - in order to keep black people in line for years.

http://www.africanamericanimages.com...ie%20Lynch.htm

Rhames asked him, "Whoa, this[letter] is real?" Brown replied, "Doesn't matter if it's real, what matters is if it's true." True referring to the method itself working among Black people to this day.

I thought it was funny Brown replied like that, so I did some looking into it. Apparently there are a lot of people who say this speech/letter never existed nor took place. One of the main reasons why they say that is because, for a 1712 letter, it doesn't really use much grammar that was used in 1712. Furthermore, Willie Lynch was even born until 1742, 30 years after the fact.

http://www.freemaninstitute.com/lynch.htm

Granted, whether the letter ever existed, I think we can agree the method mentioned in it has taken place in the black community to this day. But it's interesting that Louis Farrakhan cited such a letter in his efforts to have people come out to the Millions More March( not the Million Man March, for those who were thinking about it), working on the assumption it was real.

Do you think the letter's real?
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: