Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default US Media: Deron Williams Struggles in Europe (VIDEO)

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...48484/32537274

Sounds like a great vacation, right? See the sights, try local food, experience a new culture. And hey, play some basketball with guys who aren't even in your league. You can drop 40 a game if you really want to, but you won't, because you're a guest in their country.

Turns out it's not quite that easy for Deron Williams with Besiktas in Turkey.

Williams led Besiktas into the EuroCup last week, which is a second tier tournament that took place in Belgium, and he had 7 points on 3 of 13 shooting with 6 turnovers. The man who should dominate at this level watched his team get eliminated fast.

Days before that in D-Will’s debut for Besiktas he was 3 for 15 shooting.

Williams told the New York Times that he's getting bumped around so much, it's difficult for him to adjust. So to review, he can't hit shots, and the guy who's less than four months removed from wrist surgery is getting lots of contact without an NBA training staff around.

That sound you hear is Mikhail Prokhorov saying "No, really, 52 percent BRI is fine!"

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...europe-so-far/

Deron Williams has not looked good. At all.

There is no sugar coating it. A few games in playing for Turkish side Besiktas, the biggest name in the NBA to sign overseas has not impressed anyone.

Williams led Besiktas into the EuroCup last week, which is a second tier tournament that took place in Belgium, and he had 7 points on 3 of 13 shooting with 6 turnovers. The man who should dominate at this level watched his team get eliminated fast.

Days before that in D-Will’s debut for Besiktas he was 3 for 15 shooting.

The man the Nets are talking about building around is getting bumped around, reports the New York Times. The physical play allowed in Europe seems to throw Williams off his game.

Asked if he was still adjusting to the European game, Williams said: “I mean, I’ve played in a lot of European basketball. I’ve played in the Olympics. But this is definitely different. The way the reffing has been going has been different for me, but I’ve got to adjust.”

Williams also looks out of shape, tweeted Jonathan Givony of Draft Express, something echoed by others watching the feed of the game.

It is all something that should concern Nets fans. It in no way is time to panic — he’s playing his way into shape and getting his skills sharp just being out on the court — but it’s something to watch. After playing through injuries last season and missing the end of the year, Williams is still trying to find his groove.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/feed...ocup-qualifier

Deron Williams, Besiktas ousted in EuroCup qualifier

Deron Williams’ stint with Besiktas is not off to a good start, as the Turkish team was eliminated from EuroCup competition, via a 74-63 loss to Dexia Mons-Hainaut in Belgium. Besiktas won the first game of the home-and-home qualifier by eight points, so Dexia Mons advances based on aggregate scores.

Williams, who signed a $5 million deal with Besiktas this summer, had just seven points, on 3-for-13 shooting, and seven assists, Draft Express’ Jonathan Givony reports via Twitter. He also has and six turnovers.

“Mons just beating the crap out of Besiktas,” Givony, watching the game on an Internet feed, wrote. “This is embarrassing. Up by 17, 3:28 left. Entire team's budget=1/3rd of Deron Williams' salary.”

Williams, Givony added, played “like he's being paid by Mons.”

VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UvoxICwt8g
    Last edited by Euroleague; 10-10-2011 at 12:06 AM.

Default Re: US Media: Deron Williams Struggles in Europe (VIDEO)

[QUOTE=Euroleague]http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...48484/32537274

Sounds like a great vacation, right? See the sights, try local food, experience a new culture. And hey, play some basketball with guys who aren't even in your league. You can drop 40 a game if you really want to, but you won't, because you're a guest in their country.

Turns out it's not quite that easy for Deron Williams with Besiktas in Turkey.

Days before that in D-Will

Man I hope the shot clock was expiring on that first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by oolalaa
    Maybe they don't have the no hand checking rules over there

They don't. Williams confirmed to US media what I have been saying here for years. Team USA gets special reffing and treatment when they play in Olympics and FIBA.

Other teams are NOT allowed to play physical with them.

It's nothing remotely similar to European club basketball, where American players are not given special treatment and where the physical play standard is the same, regardless of what country you are from.

But NBA only fans still cling to this ridiculous notion that somehow the Olympics or FIBA, where Team USA gets special treatment, somehow would be proof that any NBA player would "automatically dominate the Euroleague".

It's total nonsense and totally illogical, and Williams himself even acknowledged that the physical play in European club basketball is much harder than what the refs allow against Team USA.

No team has been allowed to play team USA with a physical style since that loss to Greece in 2006. It's a simple fact and Williams confirmed that by noting how much more contact the refs allow in European club basketball than they do against Team USA.

This is why NBA only fans using Team USA play as a way to "gauge the level of the Euroleague" is totally ridiculous and has no merit.

Bulls | Bears | W. Sox ballinhun8's Avatar

Struggling because he's out of shape and coming off wrist surgery???

I dont believe that would happen.

Btw what is a "Eurocup"?? Is there an "Asiacup"? "Africup"?

Quote Originally Posted by ballinhun8
    Struggling because he's out of shape and coming off wrist surgery???

I dont believe that would happen.

Btw what is a "Eurocup"?? Is there an "Asiacup"? "Africup"?
    Actually, officially, he was playing in EuroChallenge games. The qualifiers for Eurocup, are organized by EuroChallenge. US media got that wrong, but it's a minor detail.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 10-10-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Decent playground baller

How many MVPs does Anthony Parker have in the Euroleague?

Quote Originally Posted by Da Heroic One
    How many MVPs does Anthony Parker have in the Euroleague?
    Derrick Rose = NBA MVP

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Derrick Rose = NBA MVP
    That doesn't answer my question, how many MVPs does Anthony Parker have in the Euroleague?

Good college starter

Deron Williams struggled against a team full of Americans.

Now after he went up agains a soft Euros, he put up 22 points against a Euroleague team

And Basically abused the TMac of Europe and held him scoreless.

And still he's out of shape.

Crazed troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Derrick Rose = NBA MVP
    Rose is damn good player.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    Deron Williams struggled against a team full of Americans.

Now after he went up agains a soft Euros, he put up 22 points against a Euroleague team

And Basically abused the TMac of Europe and held him scoreless.

And still he's out of shape.
    dude that didnt happen in that friendly game, you be trollin.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Da Heroic One
    That doesn't answer my question, how many MVPs does Anthony Parker have in the Euroleague?
    He won't answer

Local High School Star

the truth is Deron is overrated. He was a scrub on team USA.