Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Lookout 4 Boom Herron Da Ballahollic's Avatar

Default Re: Cavs likely signing Leon Powe

Great pick up..

Lookout 4 Boom Herron Da Ballahollic's Avatar

When healthy..

Mo/Boobie (Mo will actually be running the 2nd unit)
    West/Parker
    Lebron/Moon/Green
    AV/Powe/JJ/Jackson
    Shaq/Z

Deep..

Danny Ferry is doing his homework. I expect him to sign an Offensive Assistant Coach that will replace John Kuester.

"It's Winning time"

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Fantastic news and, if he comes back to be even close to the player he was before the injury, this is an absolutely giant steal for the Cavs. It also addresses the only thin spot on the roster.

So... Without losing a single starter or major contributor, Ferry has added Shaq, Parker, Moon, and Powe... Does this make the Cavs the biggest winner of the offseason? Obviously, the Lakers getting Artest for the MLE and re-signing Odom was huge, but they also lost a major contributor and starter. The Spurs made some excellent moves, too.

But, the Powe signing puts the Cavs in that discussion.

This team is going to be incredibly deep and incredibly versatile. You won't see the matchup problems and depth problems that doomed them against the Magic last year.

You also won't see the Lakers dominating them purely with their length and rebounding prowess.

Ferry deserves a medal for the things he has done the past two years. If he can re-sign LeBron, he will officially become a god in Cleveland... Something that I could have never imagined after we traded a prime Ron Harper for his sorry @ss.

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Fantastic news and, if he comes back to be even close to the player he was before the injury, this is an absolutely giant steal for the Cavs. It also addresses the only thin spot on the roster.

So... Without losing a single starter or major contributor, Ferry has added Shaq, Parker, Moon, and Powe... Does this make the Cavs the biggest winner of the offseason? Obviously, the Lakers getting Artest for the MLE and re-signing Odom was huge, but they also lost a major contributor and starter. The Spurs made some excellent moves, too.

But, the Powe signing puts the Cavs in that discussion.

This team is going to be incredibly deep and incredibly versatile. You won't see the matchup problems and depth problems that doomed them against the Magic last year.

You also won't see the Lakers dominating them purely with their length and rebounding prowess.

Ferry deserves a medal for the things he has done the past two years. If he can re-sign LeBron, he will officially become a god in Cleveland... Something that I could have never imagined after we traded a prime Ron Harper for his sorry @ss.
    A bench player that averages 8/5 is an "absolutely giant steal"?

Losing a 'major' contributor but replacing him with an even better one doesn't involve any "buts". Kinda like, "Oh look booho we lost Nene but hey we just signed Dwight Howard!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    If the reports are true, he'll sign a 2-year deal, at the minimum salary. If he can get back to the player he was before the injury, it'll be a huge steal.

And even if he can't do that, the 2nd year of his contract is a team-option. I don't know how Ferry did it, he's a genius. I thought Powe would have demanded a player option, just in case he can't come back. But if he does, we'll have a solid bench player for basically nothing.

And a healthy Powe would be a great fit with the Cavs. He's really good at taking the charge, so you know Mike Brown will love him.

How is that not a steal ?

Yep... When you consider what the Cavs had left under the cap to offer and the fact that the 4 was the only position that lacked depth... Also, when you consider that the reports are that the second year is a team option.

Yep... It is a steal, if the parameters that I mentioned are reached by Leon.

I'm not going to cause you grief by re-addressing the Lakers' replacement of Ariza for Artest, because it seems that I caused quite a stir by insinuating that it may not have been the right thing to do.

But, that wasn't the point of my mentioning the Lakers in my post. I mentioned them as having -- possibly -- the best offseason in the entire L. It was a compliment more than anything. Why are you so defensive about everything?

Fact: The Cavs have added four possible important pieces without losing a single major contributor from last season.

Fact: The Lakers added a very talented player, but also lost a major contributor (a starter, in fact).

You don't see the difference? Shaq is a major upgrade over Z, but we didn't even lose Z. He is now the backup center.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 08-11-2009 at 04:34 AM.

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    If the reports are true, he'll sign a 2-year deal, at the minimum salary. If he can get back to the player he was before the injury, it'll be a huge steal.

And even if he can't do that, the 2nd year of his contract is a team-option. I don't know how Ferry did it, he's a genius. I thought Powe would have demanded a player option, just in case he can't come back. But if he does, we'll have a solid bench player for basically nothing.

And a healthy Powe would be a great fit with the Cavs. He's really good at taking the charge, so you know Mike Brown will love him.

How is that not a steal ?
    LOL and people say Lakers fans exagerrate Bynum's po.

Listen kid, Powe is a fine young player but he's clearly nothing special and calling him a "steal" especially when he just blew out his knee (again right?) is just showing you don't know what you're saying.

Gasol to LA - steal
    Pippen to Bulls - steal
    Mo Williams to Cavs - steal
    Dirk to Mavs - steal
    Roy and Aldridge to Portland - steal

Powe to Cleveland -

Listen kid, Powe is a fine young player but he's clearly nothing special and calling him a "steal" especially when he just blew out his knee (again right?) is just showing you don't know what you're saying.

Gasol to LA - steal
    Pippen to Bulls - steal
    Dirk to Mavs - steal

Powe to Cleveland -
    1. Don't call me kid.

2. You gotta be an All-Star to qualify as a steal ? Since when ? We're not saying it's the steal of the century ...

3. How am I exagerrating his potential ? He's a solid bench player, nothing more.

Gasol to LA - steal
    Pippen to Bulls - steal
    Dirk to Mavs - steal

Powe to Cleveland -
    So... You don't take contracts into account when evaluating what is a steal and what isn't? I wasn't necessarily even referring to Powe's potential as a player as being a steal. It is about what he can potentially offer the team for what he signed for and how the Cavs decide how long his contract lasts.

Da Mavs

Yep... When you consider what the Cavs had left under the cap to offer and the fact that the 4 was the only position that lacked depth... Also, when you consider that the reports are that the second year is a team option.

Yep... It is a steal, if the parameters that I mentioned are reached by Leon.

I'm not going to cause you grief by re-addressing the Lakers' replacement of Ariza for Artest, because it seems that I caused quite a stir by insinuating that it may not have been the right thing to do.

But, that wasn't the point of my mentioning the Lakers in my post. I mentioned them as having -- possibly -- the best offseason in the entire L. It was a compliment more than anything. Why are you so defensive about everything?

Fact: The Cavs have added four possible important pieces without losing a single major contributor from last season.

Fact: The Lakers added a very talented player, but also lost a major contributor (a starter, in fact).

You don't see the difference? Shaq is a major upgrade over Z, but we didn't even lose Z. He is now the backup center.
    Anthony Parker is just a good shooter, he's the defintion of average. Moon is a good dunker, sucks on defense.

Shaq is 38, no PHX medical staff either, you're getting late Miami Shaq.

Powe won't even be ready for half the season and then the other half he'll have to get his rhythm back and get into shape. Won't be much of anything in playoffs. Following year no one knows if your lover boy is coming back either.

Pavlovic/Wallace combined = Ariza last season.

P+W: 8 PPG 7 RPG
    Ariza: 9 PPG 4 RPG

Oh and before you bring up that Ariza's defense was this and that, Artest is a much better overall defender, yes even now kid.

Lakers best 5: Kobe, Pau, Ron, Odom, Bynum

Cavs best 5: LBJ, Shaq, Mo, West, Z

Garbage city did all that and LA is still better on paper and still more versatile and talented and battle tested.

Oh and we don't have to go through Boston or Orlando (more stacked than Cleveland)

Very good NBA starter

i wouldn't say they lost a major contributor... they replaced the major contributor (ariza) with a superior player (artest).

Anthony Parker is just a good shooter, he's the defintion of average. Moon is a good dunker, sucks on defense.

Shaq is 38, no PHX medical staff either, you're getting late Miami Shaq.

Powe won't even be ready for half the season and then the other half he'll have to get his rhythm back and get into shape. Won't be much of anything in playoffs. Following year no one knows if your lover boy is coming back either.

Pavlovic/Wallace combined = Ariza last season.

P+W: 8 PPG 7 RPG
    Ariza: 9 PPG 4 RPG

Oh and before you bring up that Ariza's defense was this and that, Artest is a much better overall defender, yes even now kid.

Lakers best 5: Kobe, Pau, Ron, Odom, Bynum

Cavs best 5: LBJ, Shaq, Mo, West, Z

Garbage city did all that and LA is still better on paper and still more versatile and talented and battle tested.

Oh and we don't have to go through Boston or Orlando (more stacked than Cleveland)
    Wow... I guess winning a title has made you a giant d0uche of a fan. You are really calling me 'kid'? My 'lover boy'?

I'm not sure what your problem is or why you feel the need to denigrate me or the Cavs' moves this offseason (clearly an upgraded team), but I will now cease responding to you and/or discussing basketball with you.

Have fun cheering on the Lakers this year. They are -- without a doubt -- the favorite to win another title and defend their championship. Good luck with that.

See ya.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 08-11-2009 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YAWN
    i wouldn't say they lost a major contributor... they replaced the major contributor (ariza) with a superior player (artest).
    Got it... Which is why I mentioned them along with the Spurs as having the best offseason in the league.