Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Woman Sentence To 90 Lashes For Being Raped

...in Saudi Arabia. Her lawyer spoke up for her trying to defender her and they increased it to 200 lashes.

I'm not sure if it's true or not, it's the media after all, but she was sentenced to this because she was sitting in a car with a man that was not of blood relation with her, which under rigid Islamic law is against segregation of sexes.

http://www.examiner.com/article/vict...aboola_inbound

Pretty sure this isn't the woman, but this is a woman that was given lashes in Iran apparently and what it looks like...

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Default Re: Woman Sentence To 90 Lashes For Being Raped

That's sick...

Women are treated like property in that region of the world... It will never change

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by #number6ix#
    Women are treated like property in that region of the world... It will never change
    Never is a long time 150 years ago women were property in europe

Middle ages europe was just as bad for women.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Never is a long time 150 years ago women were property in europe

Middle ages europe was just as bad for women.
    Your absolutely right about that... Well I just can't see the women around there rising above the oppression in this region of the world... These guys are just too willing to kill and die for what they believe in... Especially religion which this is tied to

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by #number6ix#
    Your absolutely right about that... Well I just can't see the women around there rising above the oppression in this region of the world... These guys are just too willing to kill and die for what they believe in... Especially religion which this is tied to
    there was a time christians were just as ready to die for their religion. Christians travelled 1000s of miles to fight and die during the crusades. Humans arent all that different. There is a strong negative correlation to economic opportunity and religious conviction. The more socially mobile/economic opportunity available, the greater the presence of atheism and the less religions a people are. The theory is desperate people are more likely to turn towards religion/believe it with greater fervor and well educated people are more likely to question it.

Look at europe, christianity is dying out there.

there was a time christians were just as ready to die for their religion. Christians travelled 1000s of miles to fight and die during the crusades. Humans arent all that different. There is a strong negative correlation to economic opportunity and religious conviction. The more socially mobile/economic opportunity available, the greater the presence of atheism and the less religions a people are. The theory is desperate people are more likely to turn towards religion/believe it with greater fervor and well educated people are more likely to question it.

Look at europe, christianity is dying out there.
    Look at America or the rich parts of the Middle East, religion is booming there. Can't generalize when it comes to religion.

Banned

Religion has done terrible things on all side, during the crusades the muslims were actually seen as the nicer side. The christians would take a city, burn it down, rape the women and torture people for fun while trying to convert them or punish the heretics, the muslims were supposedly known for being a lot kinder and releasing captured prisoners and treating them fairly. A lot of the technology and knowledge that kicked off the renaissance came from the Muslims too and they were seen as more enlightened and having a better way of life at that point. Sure it's all messed up these days but things can change and both side have done terrible things.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Look at America or the rich parts of the Middle East, religion is booming there. Can't generalize when it comes to religion.
    I would make the argument that the rich aren't that fervent (you can call yourself anything you like, it doesnt make it true is all I am saying), despite what they might say.
    Eg. whole lot of rich dudes banging women out of wedlock. And you wont ever catch an oil shek stripping on a bomb vest. (they arent true believers)

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

I would make the argument that the rich aren't that fervent (you can call yourself anything you like, it doesnt make it true is all I am saying), despite what they might say.
    Eg. whole lot of rich dudes banging women out of wedlock. And you wont ever catch an oil shek stripping on a bomb vest. (they arent true believers)
    So are you saying real muslims are the suicide extremists?

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    So are you saying real muslims are the suicide extremists?

No I am saying the extremism is related to poverty and a lack of opportunity, just as the extreme christians that went on the crusades were poor
    Edit: there are messed up things in the bible. I am unfamiliar with Islam, I cant speak on it, I am going to guess based on the period it was written that there is some messed up lessons in it as well. But anyone that follows all the teachings of the bible is a messed up person.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 10-13-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Banned

That'll teach her to get raped.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Also neither america nor the middle east is very socially mobile. If you are born poor in America you will probably die poor. Even more true in the middle east.

America has a worse gini coefficient than many african countries. Gini measures the disparity/inequality between the rich and poor.

Banned

Hopefully nobody here is actually going to criticize this.

This is part of their culture, and frankly to criticize it would simply make you an ethnocentric xenophobe bigot.

At least thats the label republicans typically get whenever they critcize something.

Hopefully nobody who plays the "zomg bigot prejudice intolerance" card 24/7 ie resident liberals will actually be so hypocritical as to condemn this facet of islamic-arabian culture.

Let there be lashes!

Banned

America has a worse gini coefficient than many african countries. Gini measures the disparity/inequality between the rich and poor.

Thats a shame to hear. I wish more people would take advantage of the freedom and opportunity that a capitalist democracy with free public education provides.

But hey, if they dont... I guess thats the governments fault. Or Mitt Romney. I forget which. But I know its one of them. Anybody but the individual himself's fault.