Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
LALakerFan4Life
16 Time NBA Champions!

LALakerFan4Life has an OK reputation so far
Default Bill Cosby Criticizes Hip-Hop

Veteran actor and comedian Bill Cosby lashed out at hip-hop while giving a speech as part of a programme about fatherhood organised by Coppin State University.

On August 22nd Crosby spent the last five minutes of his speech attacking the values of modern mainstream rap to the audience at Hertiage United Church of Christ in Northwest Baltimore.

"They put the word '*****' in a song, and we get up and dance to it," Cosby said. "They think they're hip. They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

Crosby also expressed views about teenage pregnancy, education and fatherhood during the event which was organised to encourage black males to take responsibility for themselves and for their children.

http://www.streethop.com/forum/article167626.html
LALakerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

Nothing new from Cosby. Been doing this for a few years now.

In general, I can respect him for calling out what's wrong among young African Americans. Whether I agree with every little detail is a different story. But "taking responsibility" is something I feel people don't do enough of nowadays, especially when it comes to raising their children or education. To an extent, I think mainstream rap IS raising alot of Americas children.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
To an extent, I think mainstream rap IS raising alot of Americas children.

Indeed.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
ShawnieMac06
High School Varsity 6th Man

ShawnieMac06 has an OK reputation so far

Yeah, SC is right...this is nothing new from "America's Favorite Father", he's been hating on hip-hop/rap for years and years, and since he's got nothing to do lately (no movies or TV shows), he's keeping himself more and more in the news. While I can agree with most of his points about how we (as in Blacks) are not taking better responsibility for our kids, he's a hypocrite because of all those rumors of him messing on his wife and having illegitimate children. I've seen Cosby on the Tavis Smiley show about a couple years ago, when he made this same speech at another school somewhere, and just like Bill Russell does in interviews, he takes forever to answer the question and make his point.
ShawnieMac06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

ive never been a rap fan for the most part but whatever
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Wadeisabeast
I hate mondays

Wadeisabeast has an OK reputation so far

I like rap/hip-hop, but don't really listen to the lyrics. It takes at least 10 times of hearing it to remember more than 1 verse. The bad thing is that in my city there are only 2 rap/hiphop stations, and I only get one of them in my car. And it's not really even rap, it's a lot of sh*t like nickleback, rock, and the occasional good song. Not to mention the station doesn't play a song tile 3 weeks after it's out, then plays that song non-fvcking stop for 2 months.
Wadeisabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:09 AM   #7
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Hotlantadude81 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeisabeast
I like rap/hip-hop, but don't really listen to the lyrics. It takes at least 10 times of hearing it to remember more than 1 verse. The bad thing is that in my city there are only 2 rap/hiphop stations, and I only get one of them in my car. And it's not really even rap, it's a lot of sh*t like nickleback, rock, and the occasional good song. Not to mention the station doesn't play a song tile 3 weeks after it's out, then plays that song non-fvcking stop for 2 months.

Hip hop is awful. All it does is sample from other genres because it lacks creativity it's self. Soul, R&B, Rock.... You name it and there's a good chance hip hop has ripped off of it.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:42 AM   #8
DaHeezy
College star

DaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

I think it's how people intake what they get from hiphop. It's the kids that take it too seriously that are the casue of the problem. I think Bill's message wasn't categorizing all of rap. I think he could appreciate the message that some rappers spit like Common or Mos Def. It's when songs glorify what wrong with society.
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:15 AM   #9
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Bill Cosby is a jack ass.....

If he really cared about the effects hip-hop has on the youth, he'd go to the rappers who put out objectionable material and speak to them about it directly.....

the older generation of blacks dont seem to understand that talking to the youth with some respect will go a lot further than standing on a soap box and blastin them to the world....

he's a clueless hypocrite..

If Jay Z when on TV and continually blasted Cosby for fondling women against their will....do you think it would do any thing positive besides air out Cosby's problems in public?

Hell no......Cosby needs to get himself in order first...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
TheMarkMadsen
Know what im sayin?

TheMarkMadsen is a pretty well-respected posterTheMarkMadsen is a pretty well-respected posterTheMarkMadsen is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Bill Cosby Criticizes Hip-Hop

Billlll
TheMarkMadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: