Default Damaged Airbnb sofa and paid for it in full. Am I a sucker?

Stayed overseas for a few weeks in a airbnb place. My gf drops iron on a cheap couch and melts the cheap leather and leaves a really bad iron print on the couch. I notify the owner and pay for the couch, it was only 200 bucks. If it were more I wouldn't have paid the whole price

Am I a sucker for telling her and giving her the full amount. Also. I can't speak Japanese so there is a language barrier.
    Last edited by IGOTGAME; 09-07-2015 at 11:37 PM.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Damaged Airbnb sofa and paid for it in full. Am I a sucker?

It seems as though it was an honorable decision, if nothing else.

NBA Legend

Lol. Pay for whatever it costs to fix the damage. Or if the couch isnt worth enough to go and have it repaired, just pay for another cheap one.

Why would you be a sucker for paying for something that you damaged? It doesnt matter how cheap the leather is. It's usually not a good idea to drop an iron on couch cushions, regardless of their quality.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Uh no? You ****ed up her couch of course you should pay for it. It's 200 not 2000, you're a good dude for doing it

She was thinking I should haggle with her over the price or just pretend it was there when we arrived. I'd rather just pay bc we messed it up. idk, I thought I was going crazy. Also it's my first airbnb stay and I don't want a bad review when I go to other spots in the next few months

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    She was thinking I should haggle with her over the price or just pretend it was there when we arrived. I'd rather just pay bc we messed it up. idk, I thought I was going crazy. Also it's my first airbnb stay and I don't want a bad review when I go to other spots in the next few months
    Your girlfriend sounds like a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Your girlfriend sounds like a bitch.
    This is her worst flaw, otherwise she is a very nice girl. She always tries to take advantage of systems. Sooner or later it will catch out with her I'm afraid

If its a girl owner than no you arent. If its a guy hell yeah

I just went to a party in an airbnb and everyone wrecked the place. Alcohol on the floor, weed smell everywhere, and people stole clothes out the dudes house. Dont even get me started on what went on in his bed.

Guy requested a ton of money when he came back. The party thrower deleted the account and went on with his life. Its been 2 months now and nothing

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    You don't sound like a sucker in fact you sound like a decent human being. You messed up their couch and only paid $200 which isn't bad. If she is the type that is willing to **** over some random person by not telling her of the damages then she sounds like a POS tbh.

I guess you could have asked for proof of the cost to replace or fix the sofa but $200 sounds reasonable.
    Last edited by ALBballer; 09-08-2015 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove

I just went to a party in an airbnb and everyone wrecked the place. Alcohol on the floor, weed smell everywhere, and people stole clothes out the dudes house. Dont even get me started on what went on in his bed.

Guy requested a ton of money when he came back. The party thrower deleted the account and went on with his life. Its been 2 months now and nothing
    You're an idiot. You think damaging a persons property is okay?

You did the right thing. I think one of the major criticisms of Airbnb is that they don't really have an insurance policy (or much of one) for covering damages and the like during a stay. The owner may have been out money if you hadn't paid for it. Plus, it's not a huge sum so its not worth haggling over considering it was legitimately your/her fault.

You damaged it, admitted to it, and made it right.

Consider it a job well done as part of a member of society, and let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove

wow what? thats f*cked up. sounds like something some dumb ass trust funded white boys would do. not sure why anyone would be nice enough to put up their house for some douchebags to ruin