Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Why does the government mandate health insurance but not a healthy lifestyle?

This seems kind of backward to me.

Shouldn't we be mandating that everyone live a healthy lifestyle (at least in the ways they have control over) and then either allowing them to choose whether or not they want to purchase health insurance, or mandating it if that's more sensible? I mean isn't HEALTH more important than health INSURANCE? Healthy people would drive DOWN the cost, not to mention people will be happier, and.... duh, HEALTHIER.

Instead we have a grotesquely unhealthy country, and our priority is to burden our economy providing slobs with excessive treatment for preventable illness? Basically giving a carte blanche to anyone who wishes to lay waste to their own body, knowing the cost of treatment will be provided by the "invisible hand", i.e. their neighbor's hard earned money?

I mean for god sake, if officials so much as suggested disallowing food stamps to be used at places like kfc and burger king, pretentious liberals would straight up riot. It would be pandemonium. "HOW DARE YOU TELL THEM WHERE TO EAT WITH OTHER PEOPLES MONEY! THESE PEOPLE ARE POOR! LET THEM DO WHATEVER THEY WANT GOD DAMMIT!!!!!"

Losers would be crying about civil liberties and totalitarianism and corrupt corporate evil wall street 1% blah blah blah...... and all because the government said "you can't be unhealthy with the free money/food we're giving you"

The current situation basically results in three things:

Unhealthy people
    Very expensive health care
    "Free" healthcare for the unhealthy people at the EXPENSE of our economy. Money that belongs to all of us, is going to pay for more EXPENSIVE care for people who are UNHEALTHY anyway.

If you mandated "healthy" instead of "health coverage" you would have the complete opposite effect.

But then poor fat minorities would cry foul, causing pretentious loser liberals with vag1nas to try to look cool in front of poor fat minorities by also crying foul, resulting in the CURRENT system we have implemented.

Now that's what I call HOPE CHANGE.

Last edited by OldSkoolball#52; 09-13-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Default Re: Why does the government mandate health insurance but not a healthy lifestyle?

If you don't think the government tries to mandate healthy lifestyles and keep medical costs down then you're not paying attention.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Default Re: Why does the government mandate health insurance but not a healthy lifestyle?

Food stamps are allowed at places like KFC and Burger King because those places are cheap. Eating healthily is a bit more expensive, and I know you wouldn't approve of even more funding going to food stamps to help recipients pay for healthier options.

Health insurance being mandated is to address the problems that already exist, and the government has already started to become gradually more active in promoting a healthy lifestyle. Hopefully, over time, this will drive down the cost for health insurance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    If you don't think the government tries to mandate healthy lifestyles and keep medical costs down then you're not paying attention.

Their efforts in regulating health are miniscule compared to their efforts in regulating the health insurance. Further, their efforts are misguided. They take the "this is why we can't have nice things" approach and punish everyone, rather than simply punish the people who are at fault.

For instance they'll add a 1 cent tax to sodas. This won't discourage people from drinking it in meaningful numbers, it will simply transfer more money over to the healthcare fund through taxes. And EVERYONE who drinks soda will have to pay more for it, even if they don't drink it too excess.

They'll ban MSG from restaurants. Maybe I enjoy fried chicken once a month from whatever restaurant. But I won't be able to get my favorite recipe anymore, because some fat bozos eat it 4 times a week. Wonderful.

Instead of having a financial penalty only for those who choose not to have health insurance, why don't we make everyone go to the doctor once a year and charge the FAT PEOPLE a penalty??

How about when you see a fat person in a fast food restaurant, you point at them and laugh and say real loudly "NICE CHINS, FATSO! THEY SURE MATCH YOUR CANKLES YOU HIDDEOUS SLOB!"

I mean, you know, these are just ideas. The current attempts at "overhaul" of American health are miniscule and token. Drastic times call for drastic measures!

Well you appear to have thought this through and have some good ideas.

Ever considered running for a local office?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    Food stamps are allowed at places like KFC and Burger King because those places are cheap. Eating healthily is a bit more expensive, and I know you wouldn't approve of even more funding going to food stamps to help recipients pay for healthier options.

That's a myth, I thought everyone knew this by now.

I can go to the grocery store right now and get a yogurt, a tube of unslated peanuts, a peach, and a couple carrots for like $2.00 and I could have that for lunch with a big glass of water. ANYONE CAN DO THAT.

Further, I actually would support a subsidy of bottled fruit and vegetable juices (quick, refreshing, health nutrition) for people on food stamps IF the use of stamps was discontinued at fast food places. Let's face it. People simply aren't going to go buy room temperature broccoli from the grocery store and have that for lunch when their voucher works just as easiy on french fries. It's just not gonna happen. So don't let it. Take the decision out of their hands.

And you can do that with things like these:

Of course, unlike regular produce, these things actually are expensive. But they're also much more convenient and enjoyable, so if that's what it takes to encourage lower income people to switch, then fine, subsidize it to a degree. Cut them off from French fries and soda and big macs and give them a discount on juices. Everyone will be better off for it.

But again, the problem is they'll complain. Then we'll have people who want to baby, want to cave, want to give in and feel popular and special by "defending" the little guy (when you're actually enabling him to have a suckier life but you aren't man enough to stand on a big picture principle).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Well you appear to have thought this through and have some good ideas.

Ever considered running for a local office?

Actually I attempted to run for the office of President, but was chagrined to find I was prohibited due to some draconian limit on the minimum age.

Discrimination suit pending.

cuz tha damn government don't care, they dont care about us, never did and never will, they only care about wars and their pockets.

Because it would be political suicide for someone to propose a bill like that. The regulation of a person's lifestyle is the main reason (at least the most logical reason) why people are against a state-run healthcare system because it is potentially the next step once the government is in charge of paying for the healthcare of the entire population.
    Last edited by Jailblazers7; 09-13-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Conservatives cried foul when Michelle Obama was touting her child health initiative/school lunch reform, so I'm sure this brilliantly realistic idea will go over well with them.

National High School Star

Abolish Obamacare.

Health Care should be free for children. They can't get a job, and it's not their faults their parents are mediocre. Obama needs to tackle this.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    That's a myth, I thought everyone knew this by now.

I can go to the grocery store right now and get a yogurt, a tube of unslated peanuts, a peach, and a couple carrots for like $2.00 and I could have that for lunch with a big glass of water. ANYONE CAN DO THAT.
    Some healthy foods are cheap, some aren't. Nuts (cashews, almonds, etc) aren't. Chicken breasts, fish, etc. certainly aren't. Good cuts of beef aren't. Apples and bananas are, but blueberries/strawberries/pineapple/raspberries are far from cheap considering the quantities you get for the price paid.

Peanuts/carrots/yogurt for lunch? That's a great way to set yourself up for binging for dinner. Now obviously healthy alternatives for a lunch that will actually satisfy you are out there, but not for $2.00.

I'm not saying you're entirely wrong, but you're not entirely right either.
    Last edited by johndeeregreen; 09-13-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

I don't get the outrage over forcing people to get health insurance.

When people go in without insurance and dip out on the bill guess who bears the burden of that cost?

Hospital --> Insurance providers --> insurance customers.

#1 reason for bankruptcy in America by far is under-insured or zero-insured people getting medical treatment and being unable to pay the bills.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    Abolish Obamacare.

Health Care should be free for children. They can't get a job, and it's not their faults their parents are mediocre. Obama needs to tackle this.

Can't tell if serious or trolling...

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    Can't tell if serious or trolling...