Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Default Re: Predict our record

This is not a .500 team. It would take massive injuries for that to happen.

We will be a Top 3 defense with Chandler and Camby protecting the paint (top 5 defense last year and probably best defense in the league after Woodson took over).

The Olympics kept Melo in shape and motivated over the offseason so he should start off the season at MVP level.

Amare worked with Hakeem to expand offensive game.

We now have point guards that won't turn the ball over every other possession simply bringing the ball up the floor or throwing ungodly alley oops. They aren't perfect but they can get the ball to out go-to guys where they are comfortable scoring, which is not a luxury we had last year.

Off-season to gel and develop chemistry on offense.

At the very least considering injury potential, 50 wins. And I'd bet money on that.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by airchibundo507
    We will be a Top 3 defense with Chandler and Camby protecting the paint (top 5 defense last year and probably best defense in the league after Woodson took over).

The Olympics kept Melo in shape and motivated over the offseason so he should start off the season at MVP level.

Amare worked with Hakeem to expand offensive game.

We now have point guards that won't turn the ball over every other possession simply bringing the ball up the floor or throwing ungodly alley oops. They aren't perfect but they can get the ball to out go-to guys where they are comfortable scoring, which is not a luxury we had last year.

Off-season to gel and develop chemistry on offense.

At the very least considering injury potential, 50 wins. And I'd bet money on that.

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/n...lakers-thunder

Vegas put the over/under on us at 45.5 wins. I'm taking the over. Easy money.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

They low numbers all across the board.

Very charitable.

Dunking on everybody in the park Court Vision's Avatar

To keep on the same prediction note, which veteran big man plays in the most games this year: 'Sheed, Camby, or Kurt?

Kurt probably will play the most, he looks to be in good shape

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]It's amazing that you all predict 50 plus wins without Shump and Brewer.... I mean this is crazy.

Every year people say the same things..... This year they have this, added that, all these wins just because xyz....

The coach preaches defense but thats great but he isnt technically sound in the least. So the high hopes this is a coach that can turn these guys into a 50 plus win team is a reach. No evidence in the slightest that Melo, Stat, and Chandler can co-exist under any coach. Yet thats the assumption? Really.

[/COLOR]

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"]It's amazing that you all predict 50 plus wins without Shump and Brewer.... I mean this is crazy.

Every year people say the same things..... This year they have this, added that, all these wins just because xyz....

The coach preaches defense but thats great but he isnt technically sound in the least. So the high hopes this is a coach that can turn these guys into a 50 plus win team is a reach. No evidence in the slightest that Melo, Stat, and Chandler can co-exist under any coach. Yet thats the assumption? Really.

[/COLOR]
    Actually most people had us winning below 50 games. Most ppl were around the 45 win threshold.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    Actually most people had us winning below 50 games. Most ppl were around the 45 win threshold.
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"]45 wins isnt terrible but honestly that means the Knicks wont miss Brewer and Shump.... That means the low post players are extremely cohesive and JR doesnt 20% shoot the team out of games. JKidd finds an offensive game especially from the perimeter. I mean this team still doesnt have shooters or anyone that can penetrate and create..[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]45 wins isnt terrible but honestly that means the Knicks wont miss Brewer and Shump.... That means the low post players are extremely cohesive and JR doesnt 20% shoot the team out of games. JKidd finds an offensive game especially from the perimeter. I mean this team still doesnt have shooters or anyone that can penetrate and create..[/COLOR]
    Brewer's injury isn't that serious. We should have him back around the start of the season.

Say what you want about Kidd, but he can initiate the offense without turning the ball over frequently and get the ball to our go-to guys where they are most comfortable scoring.

We do have shooters... Melo, JR, Kidd, Novak
    Guys that can penetrate... Melo, Felton and to some extent JR

I'm not saying that our offense will be beautiful. We won't have the best spacing in the league. But we will win most games solely based on defense. Again, under Woodson we had the highest defensive rating in the league. That's with Jeffries missing every other game and Harrelson getting major burn. Add Camby to that equation and the Knicks should definitely be in the running for the best defense in the league.

The injuries won't be as devastating now that they're running a normal schedule. Melo is in MVP form.

So basically.. elite defense with two shotblocking anchors + top 3 scorer in the league in MVP form + competent point guards = at least 50 wins

Last season was the most tumultuous, unlucky series of events for us and we still projected for 45 wins in a normal season, and now you guys don't even expect us to get to 50 wins? That's laughable.

Maybe we all have a different respect for 45 wins. I can't speak on behalf of anybody else, but 45 wins isn't anything to write home about. It's just above mediocre, hovering around decent heading into the playoffs. Not bad, but not a total fulfillment of talent given the talent in our starting lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    I looked at our schedule and decided to make a list of all afternoon games we'll play.

Sunday , Nov. 4 - vs 76ers 12:00 PM
    Sunday , Nov. 18 - vs Pacers 12:00 PM
    Sunday , Nov. 25 - vs Pistons 12:00 PM
    Sunday , Dec. 2 - vs Suns 12:00 PM
    Sunday , Dec. 23 - vs Wolves 5:00 PM
    Tuesday , Dec.25 - @ Lakers 3:00 PM on ABC
    Sunday , Jan. 11 - vs Hornets 12:00 PM
    Monday , Jan. 21 - vs Nets 3:30 PM on NBA TV
    Sunday , Feb. 10 - vs Clippers 1:00 PM on ABC
    Sunday , Mar. 3 - vs Heat 1:00 PM on ABC
    Sunday , Mar. 17 - @ Clippers 3:30 PM on ABC
    Sunday , Apr. 7 - @ Thunder 1:00 PM on ABC
    Sunday , Apr. 14 - vs Pacers 3:30 PM

So we have 13 games,10 of them will be played at MSG. I especially look forward towards those games because for those who live in Europe it's the opportunity to watch basketball in normal time (around 6-7 PM,all other games are around 1-2 AM which is pretty late).
    Also some of the Knicks best wins last season came in the afternoon games (Celtics on Christmas,Bulls where Melo hit those threes,Mavs...).

I didn't know where to put this so I decided to put it in this thread. Hopefully it will be helpful to some other European Knicks fans.
    I assume Jasi loves these afternoon games.
    You bet I love them, man.
    Thanks for the list. Repped!

My prediction is 47 or 48 Wins.
    I know Shump and Brewer are injured but this is why we won't get to 50+.
    We were above .500 with Dumbtoni and .545 with half a season of Dumbtoni and freaking Toney Douglas at 18 MPG. Whatthef

[QUOTE=Jasi]You bet I love them, man.
    Thanks for the list. Repped!

My prediction is 47 or 48 Wins.
    I know Shump and Brewer are injured but this is why we won't get to 50+.
    We were above .500 with Dumbtoni and .545 with half a season of Dumbtoni and freaking Toney Douglas at 18 MPG. Whatthef

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    Maybe we all have a different respect for 45 wins. I can't speak on behalf of anybody else, but 45 wins isn't anything to write home about. It's just above mediocre, hovering around decent heading into the playoffs. Not bad, but not a total fulfillment of talent given the talent in our starting lineup.
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"]I agree with this. But I deal with reality and less feeling.

As much as it is assumed that Woodson is a better coach than MDA but in reality he isnt that much better. The difference between them is one is focused on defense the other is focused on offense. Neither are good game plan or in game adjustment coaches.

Had the Knicks ended the season with Melo, Chandler, Stat showing some signs of cohesiveness and potential for this season I would be on board with 45 wins or more. These players havent been cohesive by accident for any stretch.

What failed this team last year towards the end? The inability to have someone hit open shots, 3 pointers, penetrate for layups, penetrate for easy looks for the bigs. This team hasnt addressed these issues. So does this team have true depth that addressed these issues? Not IMHO.

airchibundo507:We do have shooters... Melo, JR, Kidd, Novak

Kidd cant shoot, Novak can shoot if open you run at him he cant adjust teams will do what miami did against him if they're smart. Jr isnt a good shooter but a volume shooter. I wont say about Felton because I dont know what he will be this year but I hope for the best.
    Melo and Jr can penetrate but its more score at the basket.

The good thing is with Felton and Jkidd they can get into an offensive set. The team has plenty of height. Jkidd fell off tremendously last year. Felton who knows what he will look like for this team without MDA. I mean he did look elite when he was here before but thats a different regime.

I dont see this overwhelming talent that others see where 4 players on the roster could legitimately start for EVERY other team under any circumstance. Is this team better than last year of course by a little or by a lot (its up to your discretion).

I dont care about the numbers under MDA and Woodson projected victories due to the change blah blah blah..... Neither coach is that good where they will secure the team victories by what they plan before or during the game.

Nothing this team has done besides getting older/taller addressed all my concerns. So if Melo, Chandler, Stat, Shump can get right on both ends of the floor hell ya they can be a 45 win plus team. If they dont it can be easily another 42 win or mid to high 30's win team. The team doesnt have a guy that can carry this team that can carry them alone or with a duo to guarantee this team wont fail.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Rameek; 10-11-2012 at 10:44 AM.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I agree with this. But I deal with reality and less feeling.

As much as it is assumed that Woodson is a better coach than MDA but in reality he isnt that much better. The difference between them is one is focused on defense the other is focused on offense. Neither are good game plan or in game adjustment coaches.

Had the Knicks ended the season with Melo, Chandler, Stat showing some signs of cohesiveness and potential for this season I would be on board with 45 wins or more. These players havent been cohesive by accident for any stretch.

What failed this team last year towards the end? The inability to have someone hit open shots, 3 pointers, penetrate for layups, penetrate for easy looks for the bigs. This team hasnt addressed these issues. So does this team have true depth that addressed these issues? Not IMHO.

airchibundo507:We do have shooters... Melo, JR, Kidd, Novak

Kidd cant shoot, Novak can shoot if open you run at him he cant adjust teams will do what miami did against him if they're smart. Jr isnt a good shooter but a volume shooter. I wont say about Felton because I dont know what he will be this year but I hope for the best.
    Melo and Jr can penetrate but its more score at the basket.

The good thing is with Felton and Jkidd they can get into an offensive set. The team has plenty of height. Jkidd fell off tremendously last year. Felton who knows what he will look like for this team without MDA. I mean he did look elite when he was here before but thats a different regime.

I dont see this overwhelming talent that others see where 4 players on the roster could legitimately start for EVERY other team under any circumstance. Is this team better than last year of course by a little or by a lot (its up to your discretion).

I dont care about the numbers under MDA and Woodson projected victories due to the change blah blah blah..... Neither coach is that good where they will secure the team victories by what they plan before or during the game.

Nothing this team has done besides getting older/taller addressed all my concerns. So if Melo, Chandler, Stat, Shump can get right on both ends of the floor hell ya they can be a 45 win plus team. If they dont it can be easily another 42 win or mid to high 30's win team. The team doesnt have a guy that can carry this team that can carry them alone or with a duo to guarantee this team wont fail.[/COLOR]
    What failed the Knicks at the end of the season was the Miami Heat lol We lost to the champs. They were way better and we had our 3rd string PG out there. If you're talking regular season, well we ended that on a high note.

We were 36-30 last year with turmoil and tons of injuries. 45 wins isn't even an entire percentage point higher. It's damn near the same record as last year.

I do however strongly agree about us addressing needs. As you and the rest of the fellaz know, I was HIGHLY critical of the Jason Kidd acquisition. I like Camby but I didn't liek what we had to do to get him either. I think we pissed away our draft pick in a year where we only had a 2nd rounder. I didn't understand the Prigioni signing. Getting Rasheed Wallace seems like a waste of time. JR's brother Chris and Klay's brother Mychal Thompson are bums IMO. I liked the Brewer signing considering when we got him and the price but I don't expect to get any production out of James White or Chris Copeland. Kurt Thomas is like 3 years younger than my mom lol (no seriously...give or take a couple of years). I think the biggest success we had this offseason was the dead weight we got rid of...a lot of which we didn't accomplish ourselves.