Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 11-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #16
MikeUK
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Team Support

Not living there I cannot talk for the people of NC obviously but might offer an outside perspective.

I imagine if my area had a team which left, I'd be turned off the NBA for a while and concentrating on successfull college ball would give a solid area to put my basketball support into. If a new team started, at first it wouldn't be 'my team' for many people but as time goes by or success comes, even if it's just being competitive, then more and more fans will come back around.

If you stuck a team in a brand new location it might get alot of fleeting support while novel but then this would fade with lack of initial success. In a basketball hub like Charlotte where many fans have been put off the NBA, it will start slow but has the potential to be massive.

Much like we as fans from the beginning of the franchise have looked more at potential than immediate success I assume this is what the NBA is doing with Charlotte. For the same reasons we are liked for building gradually through young players and the draft then becoming great, rather than instantly being below average with vets and staying below average for years, so the support of the Bobcats will become great I believe and this looks like being the transition season for both our team and our support.

Does that make any sense? It's getting late here in the UK and I'm anxious for the game to start
MikeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #17
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

You can also think of it this way:

The Hornets and the people of Charlotte were a match made in heaven. The fans loved that team. Shinn took the team. It almost was like a really bad breakup between a couple. Now, the city of Charlotte is a bit hesitant to put a lot of emotion and money into a franchise because of what happened last time.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #18
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUK
It's getting late here in the UK and I'm anxious for the game to start

Bet you ended up anxious for the game to end, too.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #19
Sascol
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Now, the city of Charlotte is a bit hesitant to put a lot of emotion and money into a franchise because of what happened last time.
I hear this a lot and I truly do not believe this is the case. I love the Bobcats (have season tix) but I don't think the attendance/support issues have anything to do w/ the Hornets breakup. I just don't think people care about the Bobcats, period. I hate to say that, but I think it's true.

One star player can make a huge difference and make people care though. Look at Cleveland's attendance prior to LeBron. The year before he arrived, they were last in the league at just over 11,000 fans/game. Now they're in the top 5. Iverson had the same impact in Philly years ago and just look at what Garnett/Allen have done in Boston.

Last edited by Sascol : 11-08-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Sascol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #20
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Interesting to note the thread/post numbers so far. By my count we rank
5th in threads and 9th in posts. There is interest out there.

I agree with Sascol that 1 star can make a huge difference. Just look at our attendance when Kobe or Lebron come to town.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: