Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Default Re: Cristiano Ronaldo 2013 Ballon D'Or Winner

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Ove.../dp/B00H15XMMK

Here, you'll learn some. Sadly isn't the full piece

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

It's kind of interesting because in every other sport a player who played in the 50's and 60's would NEVER be in discussion for an all-time great due to the evolution of the sports and people usually assume the sport gets more "advanced".

In the NBA Walt Chamberlain is a man who absolutely dominated but always takes a backseat to the more recent stars like Jordan, Bird, Magic, etc.

The MLB is a sport where former legends are in consideration for GOAT(Ruth, etc) though but I don't think the sport has a true GOAT

NFL no one from the 60's would be considered anywhere near the top 10

Not trying to downplay Pele but people seem to glorify him just for the fact he's a legend of the far past and because his image is almost godlike. It's tough because I can only assume the sport back then and especially the leagues were less competitive then they are today(Nutrition, training, pressure, etc) but of course that's pure speculation on my part.

Truthfully, I don't think there's anything wrong with labeling players like CR 7, Messi, Zidane, Maradona, etc, as GOAT's either.

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    It's kind of interesting because in every other sport a player who played in the 50's and 60's would NEVER be in discussion for an all-time great due to the evolution of the sports and people usually assume the sport gets more "advanced".

In the NBA Walt Chamberlain is a man who absolutely dominated but always takes a backseat to the more recent stars like Jordan, Bird, Magic, etc.

The MLB is a sport where former legends are in consideration for GOAT(Ruth, etc) though but I don't think the sport has a true GOAT

NFL no one from the 60's would be considered anywhere near the top 10

Not trying to downplay Pele but people seem to glorify him just for the fact he's a legend of the far past and because his image is almost godlike. It's tough because I can only assume the sport back then and especially the leagues were less competitive then they are today(Nutrition, training, pressure, etc) but of course that's pure speculation on my part.

Truthfully, I don't think there's anything wrong with labeling players like CR 7, Messi, Zidane, Maradona, etc, as GOAT's either.
    It really is, Pele has this god mystique surrounding him, people dont want to let go off the thought of pele as goat.