Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 08-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Phenom
Supreme Living Legend

Default The Mavs Most Pressing Need

Say what you want about the Devin Harris trade, but my opinion then, as it still is now, was that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Finals appearance, 67 win season, and were right in the middle of the pack when the trigger was pulled last year.

But what Devin Harris gave the Mavs was another added dimension, a scorer that could create on his own. And he was coming into his own as a more polished distributor, with the exception of the injury bug always cropping up to bite him in the @$$. But what the Mavs were then, as it was exposed last year, was a team that thrived off of match up problems. Jason Kidd was brought in to make them a more traditional, half court efficient ball team, and the Mavs never had a real problem scoring in the open court.

Problem was, that was never the Mavs real strength. And their most pressing need wasn't center play, which Diop was brought back to provide. Or defensive stalwarts, which Devean George sure as hell hasn't proven to be. But it's a legit second scoring option. Which Josh Howard was supposed to step up and be but has regressed dramatically. I for one would have welcomed Artest, seeing as it would have been just swapping one knucklehead for another. But at least that knucklehead gets the job done. When interested anyway.

But having Kidd here, if we're truly going to utilize his talents, we'll have to get a second proven scorer. Dirk can score in bunches, but he's not an offensive workhorse like a prime Shaq, or Kobe or Lebron, which I think he's just as capable a scorer as those guys, but it's not his game to be a gunslinger as they sometimes do. There are just too many offensive liabilities at the other end of the court for the Kidd experiment to work as is. Stack's old. Terry, our only real other hot hand, is undersized, no low post play from the center position, Bass is improving but still has a ways to go, and Josh.... .....doesn't have the basketball iq to work inside of a system, evidenced by his bonehead decision making late in the stretch run and disappearance in the playoffs. For the Mavs to make any noise this season, they'll have to get another scorer, and it isn't going to come from in house. Bottom line. Period.
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Default Re: The Mavs Most Pressing Need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom
Say what you want about the Devin Harris trade, but my opinion then, as it still is now, was that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Finals appearance, 67 win season, and were right in the middle of the pack when the trigger was pulled last year.

But what Devin Harris gave the Mavs was another added dimension, a scorer that could create on his own. And he was coming into his own as a more polished distributor, with the exception of the injury bug always cropping up to bite him in the @$$. But what the Mavs were then, as it was exposed last year, was a team that thrived off of match up problems. Jason Kidd was brought in to make them a more traditional, half court efficient ball team, and the Mavs never had a real problem scoring in the open court.

Problem was, that was never the Mavs real strength. And their most pressing need wasn't center play, which Diop was brought back to provide. Or defensive stalwarts, which Devean George sure as hell hasn't proven to be. But it's a legit second scoring option. Which Josh Howard was supposed to step up and be but has regressed dramatically. I for one would have welcomed Artest, seeing as it would have been just swapping one knucklehead for another. But at least that knucklehead gets the job done. When interested anyway.

But having Kidd here, if we're truly going to utilize his talents, we'll have to get a second proven scorer. Dirk can score in bunches, but he's not an offensive workhorse like a prime Shaq, or Kobe or Lebron, which I think he's just as capable a scorer as those guys, but it's not his game to be a gunslinger as they sometimes do. There are just too many offensive liabilities at the other end of the court for the Kidd experiment to work as is. Stack's old. Terry, our only real other hot hand, is undersized, no low post play from the center position, Bass is improving but still has a ways to go, and Josh.... .....doesn't have the basketball iq to work inside of a system, evidenced by his bonehead decision making late in the stretch run and disappearance in the playoffs. For the Mavs to make any noise this season, they'll have to get another scorer, and it isn't going to come from in house. Bottom line. Period.

Gotta move Howard and Stackhouse then. Neither of them will work in the hopefully revamped offense using Kidd as a fast break distributor. Dirk is still the guy in the half court, but you need more than just Terry for Kidd to hook up with on the break (which he did well in my viewing). Green and George will do well as role players there, but if you could get something serious for Kidd to run with, you would have a compelete team.

Regardess of any moves, I am really interested to see if Dallas ends up fast breaking with a smaller lineup or stays big.
Luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
NastaMaverick
College star

Talking Re: The Mavs Most Pressing Need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi
Gotta move Howard and Stackhouse then. Neither of them will work in the hopefully revamped offense using Kidd as a fast break distributor.
Howard wont work in a fast break, but Dirk will? Crazy.
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Glo41
Mavs & Knicks 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastaMaverick
Well to me, last year it seemed like Dirk ran with Kidd on the fastbreak a lot better than Howard. I'm hoping training camp and preseason can change that, and Josh Howard gets it.

Phenom: I fully agree that we really need a 2nd option on offense especially in the half court. Who do you prefer we get though? There's not much out there right now..
Glo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
NastaMaverick
College star

Fastbreak teams dont win championships, simple as that. I hope Carsisle realizes this.
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

The Mavs have needed that 2nd scorer for a couple of years now. Someone who can hit the jumper but also drive and get to the line. Stack used to could do that but as said is too old now. At least he tries, though it is painful to watch at times. Hopefully Green and Wright can do better than the procession of senior citizens they've thrown out there the last couple of years. But it still doesn't address the problem

And let's face it. For all practical purposes Josh should've benefitted from Kidd last year. He's the one guy who could get out and run the break with him and get rewarded. Josh needs to stop his one man fast break against two or three people where he forces it, and it goes in just enough for him to keep trying it. But Josh had a couple of deaths in the family last year. And the Harris trade bummed him out so he said. So I'd like to give him benefit of the doubt and see if he can turn it around this year. I'm not holding my breath but hope he surprises me.

And you don't have to be a fast breaking team only. It's good to get out and get as many easy baskets as you can. One if Kidd's strengths if people get out with him. But you have to execute in the half court when the break isn't there. I still think there is enough talent on this team to be able to do that with a decent offensive scheme. Run Terry off some picks. He can hit the open jumper. Don't force him to create his own shot. For that matter run Dirk off some picks, he's just as good, if not better, a jump shooter as Terry. Motta used to have some great plays running Blackman off multiple picks with great success. Having the guy rolling to the basket after the pick is set is where the Mavs have problems. Damp can't catch it, though he does help with sealing the defender off the board if he stays put. And Diop will put up something soft and miss instead of taking it hard. Bass could do well in this role maybe. The one thing he will do is go to the rim hard. But then you either are going with a small lineup, or have Bass at sf, something Avery wouldn't look at.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastaMaverick

Gotta judge players ability to break based on their position.
Also, fast breaking is a factor, but not the only factor for keeping a player. Like I said earlier, Dirk is still the guy for the half court (you can't fastbreak every time). Dirk could also outrun a lot of centers if Dallas goes small (again like I said earlier). Howard and Stackhouse aren't really fast break swingmen.

Quote:
Fastbreak teams dont win championships, simple as that. I hope Carsisle realizes this.
That's fair to say.
Luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #8
kentatm
NBA Legend

they still need a SG other teams respect enough to cover and for Bass to develop some post moves.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
idizzle
Good college starter

The Mavs should try to go after Stephen Jackson. He in the last year of his contract and the Warriors look like they are rebuilding.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:36 AM   #10
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idizzle
The Mavs should try to go after Stephen Jackson. He in the last year of his contract and the Warriors look like they are rebuilding.

Yee-eea.. Stephen Jackson and Josh Howard on the same team right now. It would be like the hood version of America's Funniest Home Videos

Except for, it's youtube instead of video, they're dissing America. And it isn't funny.
TEXAS BATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #11
idizzle
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS BATMAN
Yee-eea.. Stephen Jackson and Josh Howard on the same team right now. It would be like the hood version of America's Funniest Home Videos

Except for, it's youtube instead of video, they're dissing America. And it isn't funny.

When has Stephen Jackson ever badmouthed the USA?

Stephen Jackson has cooled down but I get what you saying.

How about the Mavs getting Vince Carter?

9 times out of 10 he doesn't want to be part of the rebuilding in New Jersey.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #12
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idizzle
When has Stephen Jackson ever badmouthed the USA?

Stephen Jackson has cooled down but I get what you saying.

How about the Mavs getting Vince Carter?

9 times out of 10 he doesn't want to be part of the rebuilding in New Jersey.

well if you ever read his lips after he's whistled for a bad call, i'm betting he's probably saiid **** everything except for america, and probably that too.

wince carter? maybe he would turn it around..play with some passion. but he has a tendency of dissappearing in big games..and i'm uncomfortable with him playing a second fiddle role to dirk. let's face it. vince and dirk aren't exactly known as two of the more physically tough guys in the league.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
idizzle
Good college starter

What SG do you think could help the Mavs?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #14
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

I want JR Smith.

I'd pay this dude's salary to have him on our roster.

just hope he doesn't frown at hot checks.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #15
Nets fan 93
D'Angelo Russell Era

Get a slashing sg to compliment Kidd's game
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: