Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default The idea that elite point guards can't win NBA championships is false

Im starting to wonder if the dudes here even played rec league ball...

All the threads going around saying how "elite point guards cant win championships" proves right here that the majority of ISH has never played even high school basketball

Just because their player card on ESPN doesn't say "point guard" doesn't mean they aren't the point guard of the team.

If you ever played basketball, the point guard handles the team, and runs the offense.

Guys like LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, 06 dwyane wade, were the point guards of their teams.

Are you trying to say derek fisher, Mario charmers, and Jason Williams (the one that was washed up and spot up for 3s) were the floor generals for their teams?

Jeez, do you guys know anything bout ball?

By definition, those guys were point guards, and the best players on their teams

Im going on a rant because the majority of ISH thinks that elite point guards cant win championships, without even knowing what the hell a point guard is...

The funny things is, the majority of ISH isnt even trolling when saying this.
    It disgusts me.

LeBron, Kobe, 06 Wade, were all the point guards on their championship team.

Chalmers/Fisher/Williams filled the wing slot on those teams, going through screens and waiting at the corners for 3s. These guys WERE NOT the point guards for their team!!!

Rant done

Default Re: The idea that elite point guards can't win NBA championships is false

Bump because it's interesting enough to discuss

Default Re: The idea that elite point guards can't win NBA championships is false

I would say they're the playmakers. Which is basically the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by insidehoops
    Bump because it's interesting enough to discuss
    Thanks Jeff

Unlike many here, I try to make good threads that actually have real debate

My post got approved by Jeff!!!!!!!

Local High School Star

But their position are not point guards?

Its more like an elite wing/forward running the point because they are the best player. it isn't the same as say CP3 running the point.

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3
    But their position are not point guards?

Its more like an elite wing/forward running the point because they are the best player. it isn't the same as say CP3 running the point.
    But it is the same!

The only reason lebron, Kobe, wade, weren't starting at the actual point guard position would be because it would be too tiring guarding smaller players. It would be annoying

However, they were the point guards, ur getting mixed up here

Are you trying to say that melo is a point because he is an elite wing? Or durant? Or Paul George?

It's different. Kobe, lebron, wade, they actually literally run the offense.

What does cp3 do that lebron doesn't on the offense? Besides lebron looking for his shot more? If drose can be considered a point, isn't Kobe just a scoring point guard?

Remember. Height does not define your position, what you do does.

Decent playground baller redboy's Avatar

imo the thing is that there really hasn't been an under 6'3 "point guard" that has been good enough/had a good enough team in order to win. what i mean by that is that a pg will never be a versatile player like lebron/hakeem/duncan that can be a do it all guy for his team, but i do think that a point guard can be the best player on his team given the circumstances. the 07 suns, for example, may have won that year had it not been for circumstances. i think that they easily would have beat the jazz and especially the cavs. the same goes for 08 cp3. i think with a good enough supporting cast, 08 cp3 could have won the championship. it's just that there are too few pgs that are on a prime lebron/prime kobe status and thus we don't ever see a pg good enough to win a championship.

ppl overblow all this position things, basketball has hundreds of aspects and only 5 positions, at the end of the day some one has to fill in the lineup sheet, its not that serious

Quote Originally Posted by redboy
    imo the thing is that there really hasn't been an under 6'3 "point guard" that has been good enough/had a good enough team in order to win. what i mean by that is that a pg will never be a versatile player like lebron/hakeem/duncan that can be a do it all guy for his team, but i do think that a point guard can be the best player on his team given the circumstances. the 07 suns, for example, may have won that year had it not been for circumstances. i think that they easily would have beat the jazz and especially the cavs. the same goes for 08 cp3. i think with a good enough supporting cast, 08 cp3 could have won the championship. it's just that there are too few pgs that are on a prime lebron/prime kobe status and thus we don't ever see a pg good enough to win a championship.
    If you bothered reading my post, you would see that your post makes no sense to what I'm trying to say

Kobelicious

nah more like, you cant win a ring with undersize/short player (usually at PG position) as your go to guy

Can a elite point guard under 6'4 lead a team to a championship?

Parker and Billups are the only FMVPs in the last 20 years. But are they elite?

Quote Originally Posted by VIntageNOvel
    nah more like, you cant win a ring with undersize/short player (usually at PG position) as your go to guy
    Is dwade not short enough for you? He's literally the same height as many "official, it says so on espn" point guards

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Did people just forget about Rondo, or...?

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge
    Did people just forget about Rondo, or...?
    Rondo in 2008 was not an elite point guard. He was the 4th best player on his team

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

You're right, nvm. I always thought he had an excellent 08 Finals for some reason.