Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trump releases healthcare reform plan

[QUOTE]Congress must act. Our elected representatives in the House and Senate must:

Completely repeal Obamacare. Our elected representatives must eliminate the individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.

Modify existing law that inhibits the sale of health insurance across state lines. As long as the plan purchased complies with state requirements, any vendor ought to be able to offer insurance in any state. By allowing full competition in this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go up.

Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from their tax returns under the current tax system. Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn

Default Re: Trump releases healthcare reform plan

Trump said that he liked the mandate at a town hall meeting but then reversed the next day. Overall I like this plan. It's a lot more friendly to small business and to healthcare workers.

Nothing on pre-existing conditions, huh? So, if you have diabetes like millions of Americans, you can be turned down coverage. That was a big issue before ACA made it so you cannot be denied for pre-existing conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Nothing on pre-existing conditions, huh? So, if you have diabetes like millions of Americans, you can be turned down coverage. That was a big issue before ACA made it so you cannot be denied for pre-existing conditions.
    My guess would be, since insurance could now cross state lines, someone will insure them. Insurance then becomes a competition, and given how many people have diabetes, I'm sure someone is more than willing to take their money. 10% of this country has diabetes, and with the increased competitiveness, I highly, highly doubt one of those companies won't insure them.

Or, they can use their HSA (or their parents).

I'm not in favor of forcing insurance companies to insure people with PEC's, because if I had 19 car wrecks, every car insurance company under the sun would deny me coverage. To be fair, if you are already dying (or your house is already burning or your car has already been wrecked), who would want to insure that?

Throw them some shitty government insurance like I'd get at the VA and call it a day. If its good enough for veterans, its good enough for them.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    My guess would be, since insurance could now cross state lines, someone will insure them. Insurance then becomes a competition, and given how many people have diabetes, I'm sure someone is more than willing to take their money. 10% of this country has diabetes, and with the increased competitiveness, I highly, highly doubt one of those companies won't insure them.

I'm not in favor of forcing insurance companies to insure people with PEC's, because if I had 19 car wrecks, every car insurance company under the sun would deny me coverage. To be fair, if you are already dying (or your house is already burning or your car has already been wrecked), who would want to insure that?

Throw them some shitty government insurance like I'd get at the VA and call it a day. If its good enough for veterans, its good enough for them.
    How much money are you expecting to have in a HSA in order to treat a condition like diabetes? That seems completely unreasonable.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Everyone is already dying

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
    How much money are you expecting to have in a HSA in order to treat a condition like diabetes? That seems completely unreasonable.
    Or, as I said, they can be offered the same shitty healthcare we offer to our veterans.

That's fair, yes?

I'm down with HRC

Trump promised he was going "to repeal Obamacare and replace it with something terrific." Instead he gives us a pretty standard Republican repeal Obamacare plan. I thought he was supposed to be a break with the past.

How much thought do you think he put into this plan? Because it's different than last month's plan.

This is pretty wishful thinking.

The individual market was previously plagued with shitty insurance plans that would not insure if you had a preexisting condition -meaning even if you had insurance, you couldn't shop around for better insurance-- AND known for policies that would drop you once you got sick. You'd find once you need your insurance, it was worthless.

What exactly would change about that system if insurance could cross state lines?

Also since Trump's plan contains nothing about the new federal laws that would govern cross state insurance it's also wishful thinking to speak about this as a given.

Deductions instead of credits are useful for high-end taxpayers, but less useful for low end taxpayers, so how does this help people from "slipping through the cracks?" This makes the cracks bigger. What does this plan do about the millions of people who now have insurance that didn't have it in 2010?

Or, as I said, they can be offered the same shitty healthcare we offer to our veterans.

That's fair, yes?
    I'm legitimately curious, is building up HSA's on a large scale as a means to deal with debilitating disease like diabetes feasible?

I'm down with HRC

Also if you read the full plan, it opens with a great preamble of wingnut talking points
    HEALTHCARE REFORM TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Since March of 2010, the American people have had to suffer under the incredible economic burden of the Affordable Care Act—Obamacare. This legislation, passed by totally partisan votes in the House and Senate and signed into law by the most divisive and partisan President in American history, has tragically but predictably resulted in runaway costs, websites that don’t work, greater rationing of care, higher premiums, less competition and fewer choices. Obamacare has raised the economic uncertainty of every single person residing in this country. As it appears Obamacare is certain to collapse of its own weight, the damage done by the Democrats and President Obama, and abetted by the Supreme Court, will be difficult to repair unless the next President and a Republican congress lead the effort to bring much-needed free market reforms to the healthcare industry.
    The economic burden is my favorite. Rubio and Cruz also claim it's a job killing law. I wonder if the data supports that.

Local High School Star HitandRun Reggie's Avatar

Yeah pre-existing conditions is a biggie. The healthy populace will have to absorb the costs, but you have to offer sick people options other than going broke to the point they qualify for social aid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
    I'm legitimately curious, is building up HSA's on a large scale as a means to deal with debilitating disease like diabetes feasible?
    I guess it depends on how much it costs.

Let's say I pay $100 a month for healthcare insurance. I haven't been to a hospital (except in the military where it was mandated) since I broke my arm 12 years ago. Now, I got fat and developed diabetes.

12 x 12 x 100 = roughly $15,000.

Like I said, I don't know how much it costs because I don't have diabetes, but if the average person is paying several hundred a month for insurance, that can add up pretty quickly.

Again, I'm all for putting people on the same healthcare plan the VA offers. That'd give them a good reason to fix that nightmare anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FillJackson
    Trump promised he was going "to repeal Obamacare and replace it with something terrific." Instead he gives us a pretty standard Republican repeal Obamacare plan. I thought he was supposed to be a break with the past.

How much thought do you think he put into this plan? Because it's different than last month's plan.

This is pretty wishful thinking.

The individual market was previously plagued with shitty insurance plans that would not insure if you had a preexisting condition -meaning even if you had insurance, you couldn't shop around for better insurance-- AND known for policies that would drop you once you got sick. You'd find once you need your insurance, it was worthless.

What exactly would change about that system if insurance could cross state lines?

Also since Trump's plan contains nothing about the new federal laws that would govern cross state insurance it's also wishful thinking to speak about this as a given.

Deductions instead of credits are useful for high-end taxpayers, but less useful for low end taxpayers, so how does this help people from "slipping through the cracks?" This makes the cracks bigger. What does this plan do about the millions of people who now have insurance that didn't have it in 2010?
    More consumers. Imagine an insurance company in Kentucky... they'd be paying out the ass since KY is full of fat unhealthy people.

But if it's a nationwide thing, then you've got the fatties more evenly dispersed.

How I read it anyway. I could be wrong.

Banned

Honestly this is a great plan. The free market should be allowed to dictate insurance prices. Healthy competition is what's best for business.

Unlike Shillary and Obama, Trump owes nothing to these insurance companies and I'm happy he is going to take them down from their seat of power, as well as dismantle useless Obama care which made us look like wannabe Sweden Jrs.

Laissez-faire, bitch

I guess it depends on how much it costs.

Let's say I pay $100 a month for healthcare insurance. I haven't been to a hospital (except in the military where it was mandated) since I broke my arm 12 years ago. Now, I got fat and developed diabetes.

12 x 12 x 100 = roughly $15,000.

Like I said, I don't know how much it costs because I don't have diabetes, but if the average person is paying several hundred a month for insurance, that can add up pretty quickly.

Again, I'm all for putting people on the same healthcare plan the VA offers. That'd give them a good reason to fix that nightmare anyway.
    That's a terrible waste of money for people. Putting that much money into a HSA without getting much of any return on that money <<<<<