Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 101718192021222330 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2013-2014 Observation Deck

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    @KG: I think the most interesting aspect to this team is that they win in different ways.

Louisville was mostly Roy flat out-coaching Pitino, who refused to stop pressing us. Meeks killed them with his outlets. Thankfully Paige was unconscious most of the game and we got good minutes out of Brice and Britt. But Pitino's reluctance to change up his defense was their downfall.

MSU was beating Izzo at his own game. The team crashed the glass, scored off of second chance points, grabbed most of the 50/50 balls, and played physical defense. Nice effort from JP this time, as well as Brice, Meeks, and Britt again. When will Izzo learn that you can't outrun a Roy Williams team?

This win over UK was defense, more than anything. The Harrison twins killed us in the second half, but Roy's mixture of zone and taking Randle completely out of the game was a major contributing factor to the win. Unlike in the MSU game, I thought UK owned us on the glass. Second chance points (as well as free throws for both teams) was the main reason they stayed close. This time McAdoo showed up, with JP, Brice, and Paige again.

So what's common in the three games?

--Coaching adjustments. Stubborn Roy making adjustments?!? Explained above.
    I agree, which is odd because Roy is about as stubborn as it gets. And I've admittedly been really hard on him in the past, but have no problem admitting now that he's done a really good job this year. May be his best coaching job (so far) since the 2006 team. Which, if going into the season the pollsters knew we'd not have P.J. and Leslie for an extended period of time or the whole season, would've been unranked and had similar expectations as the 2006 team. We don't have anyone as good as Hansbrough, but Paige has at least been similarly heroic and clutch at different times this year.

--Brice Johnson. Is he not our most consistent offensive player? Paige is our best and most explosive, but he disappeared for about a game's worth in the 3 ranked wins. Brice has yet to have a bad game. Offensively, that is. And I think he's a much better defender than given credit for this year. Other than McAdoo, who in the post has clearly been a better defensive player this season? Next Danny Green or PJ Hairston... Although this time I don't have a problem with that guy coming off the bench, for the sake of McAdoo's game and having something which resembles bench scoring. His role resembles more closely to Marvin Williams', except on a much less talented basketball team.
    Yeah, Brice is a stud on the offensive end. We saw flashes last year, but this year it's almost an every game thing, especially against the good teams.

That's basically all I see with my amateur eye. Had foul trouble against UK and Louisville. UK beat us up on the glass. Turnovers were about even in the MSU and Louisville games. Shot poorly from the line against UK, and sort of against Lousville. Shot horribly from 3 in all the games. One game was neutral, other was a true road, and the other was a true home game.
    What's so intriguing about all these wins is that they've come in different ways, and none of them really involved luck or were flukish; we just simply outplayed the other team. Which, again, is so strange given how terrible we looked against Holy Cross, half of Oakland, Belmont, and UAB.

On another note, if Kentucky loses to Louisville, they're going to have an extremely unimpressive resume. They'd need two wins over Florida just to make it non-NIT-esque. Not that they'll be going to the NIT, just that their resume will be that unimpressive.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    On another note, if Kentucky loses to Louisville, they're going to have an extremely unimpressive resume. They'd need two wins over Florida just to make it non-NIT-esque. Not that they'll be going to the NIT, just that their resume will be that unimpressive.

as it stands right now Kentucky is 0 - 3 vs ranked teams

Learning to shoot layups

Kentucky just looks completely out of sorts. Harrison looked pretty good but Julius Randle's defense wasn't just awful, it wasn't even at a Division I level. He's got a long way to go on the defensive end. He obviously didn't scout McAdoo at all.

Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles UConnCeltics's Avatar

Loving the UK crash and burn since the NC. Kind of sucks not having an older team with a once in a decade a talent on it, huh Calipari?

UK needs some veteran leadership. Time for the upperclassmen to step up.

...wait, where ARE the upperclassmen?

Embiid fvcking beasted last night

National High School Star Twiens's Avatar

Thoughts on Syracuse PG Tyler Ennis? Possible lottery??

Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles UConnCeltics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twiens
    Thoughts on Syracuse PG Tyler Ennis? Possible lottery??
    Maybe in the 2016 draft.

Glad Pitt is bringing that style of basketball to the ACC...

The guy asking about Vaughn. Interesting read here.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/236317431.html

And something about Findlay Prep. Couple years old.
    http://www.masslive.com/hoophallclas...dlay_prep.html
    Last edited by IGotACoolStory; 12-18-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    Glad Pitt is bringing that style of basketball to the ACC...
    You mean poor execution, especially in the clutch? Yep, I'm sure it is nice for other teams to get to play that every year.

Leslie McDonald reinstated. Now UNC can close games with two competent FT shooters! Oh, and having another capable 3P shooter on the floor won't hurt.

Sounds like PJ is done.

Really bad looking injury for Joel James. Hate it for the kid, but fortunately for the team he's really just UNC's 4th best big even though he starts.